cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6E Slot C1 not detecting DIMM

Homewrecker
Level 9
I Purchased an R6e, an i9 7940X and 32Gb of G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin 3600 (PC4 28800) P/N F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR Memory about 1.5 years ago. At that time I tested everything and was having issues with the memory (thread --> https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96862-Issue-with-G-Skill-TridentZ-DDR-4-32Gb-3600-Kit).

I ended up replacing the board and the memory issue was resolved after I bench tested everything at the time with BIOS 1301. I got busy with other stuff so I dismantled everything and put it back in the box. Up until a few weeks ago everything was still sitting in the box until I finally got around to finishing the build this week.

On power up I ended up getting the same 'detect memory' message again. I couldn't believe it. I cleared the CMOS and flashed the BIOS to 1704. At first it would only boot to the default speed of 2133. Setting XMP for 3600 caused the boot to hang again and the 'detect memory' message (exactly like the previous thread).

I swapped the memory modules around with no change. With only one DIMM in slot C1 (as per the manual) the system wouldn't boot at all. The system booted fine with a single DIMM in slot A1 and ran at the rated 3600 XMP setting. I then installed the other 3 modules and finally managed to get it to boot but the BIOS only indicated that 24576 GB of memory was available.

After a lot more swapping around trying different settings I think there may be an issue now with Slot C1 as it doesn't detect the DIMM nor does the board status LED light up. The LED's in the DIMM still work though.

The only configuration that seems to work and give me 32GB is with DIMMs in Slots B1, B2, A1 and A2. I also get 32GB in Slots B1, B2, A1 and D1. Every other configuration only detects 24576 GB. In either of those two combinations I have no idea what channel configuration I'm getting. Is it still Quad or something else?
Installing all 4 DIMMs in the dark grey slots (A2, B2, C2 & D2) doesn't seem to work either.

Is there something else I should try or should I send the board to Asus for diagnostics and repair if needed. Or should I just use the configuration that seems to work right now. I've had nothing but problems with both R6e boards since day one.

I'm wondering if I should just get something else and not bother wasting my time with this board from hell. I've owned alot of Asus boards over the years and never had issues until the R6E. Maybe I'll just toss this one and get an Omega instead but I really don't feel like draining my loop and removing the blocks just to swap out the board.
0 REPLIES 0