cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build Raid-0 VROC Support for m.2

ayman_abm
Level 7
Dears.
I have R6E board with latest BIOS update + 9980XE CPU, also I have recently bought the Following:

• Asus Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 3.0 X4 Expansion Card V2
  • Intel VROC STD CPU HW RAID KEY 0/1/10 (VROCSTANMOD)
  • 4x Samsung 970 EVO Plus - 1TB PCIe NVMe
  • 2x Samsung 950 Pro - 512GB PCIe NVMe

The Problem I have that I can't Build a raid-0 Volumes in BIOS, in both DIMM2 and Hyper m.2 card v2

Things I tried:
in BIOS tried to let it take control from CPU and from PCH, both failed
also tried to make make VROC hyper m.2 and DATA hyper m.2 and last tried PCIE 4X and made it DIMM2.

what Shall I do ? anyone have this new CARD Hyper m.2 V2 ??

much appreciated for helping me.
10 REPLIES 10

ayman_abm
Level 7
hello admins / ASUS Professionals !!!!!! any HELP

ayman_abm
Level 7
any help ?

ayman_abm wrote:
any help ?

Simply put, this has been a topic that has been talked to death. If you Google it and Asus x299 forums you'll find numerous ones.

In short VROC ONLY will work with INTEL M.2 drives for bootable drives on the motherboard you have. You can create a kinda of hybrid VROC drive that isn't a bootable drive but considering VROC is slower than the standard Windows Software Striped RAID, there is no purpose of doing so. The only way you can use VROC as a bootable drive is with the key and using a motherboard that supports Intel XEON processors. There is also a select list like the Intel 900 and 905 m.2s that will work the earlier m.2s will not. If you want more information do the google search and find the several posts about it.

Honestly, in the end after successfully creating VROC RAID 0 drives using Intel m.2 drives, unless you are doing a LOT of data transfers to and from the bootable drive, it really isn't worth it. Sure the Seq Read/Writes are faster but VROC causes a lot more latency in 4k Random Read/writes (the daily tasks) and can actually slow down your machine. Gl.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

First, wrong key. (VROCISSDMOD)
Second, Intel drives ONLY,
Samsung won't work.
Period.
I spent months, and the boot times with and without the key were inconsistent,
but consistently slow.
This subject has been beaten to death on this board, as stated above.

Search this area for VROC
This has in fact been run in the dirt several times over and began at the boards release
Brightail, JustinThyme and Birdman tried every combination under the sun.

VROC works with intel drives only, no exceptions
You can still use the samsung drives but software raid only.
You have to have the hyperX16 in an X16 slot and cant run two GPUs
In the end VROC was a sick joke played on the users. Took months just to figure out what key worked and as soon as the word was out that $9 keys price jumped to $120.

birdman941 wrote:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026106/memory-and-storage/ssd-software.h...

Birdman - I see your post which is recent and you are saying only Intel SSD's. The link on the intel site is deceiving. It says no, but if you click on their link you are shown third party SSD's. Odd. Anyways, I trust you so I'm going to save myself the trouble. I do have two PM961's that I was going to try and set up a bootable raid (by buying the Standard Key). I have Asus Rampage VI Extreme x299.

I'm curious what are the uses for the Asus Hyper M.2. It's currently empty so I am guessing I can gradually add drives to it and just use for extra storage?

What / how are you using yours? I see it listed as "storage 2" under your PC specs.

Thanks!

ez101 wrote:
Birdman - I see your post which is recent and you are saying only Intel SSD's. The link on the intel site is deceiving. It says no, but if you click on their link you are shown third party SSD's. Odd. Anyways, I trust you so I'm going to save myself the trouble. I do have two PM961's that I was going to try and set up a bootable raid (by buying the Standard Key). I have Asus Rampage VI Extreme x299.

I'm curious what are the uses for the Asus Hyper M.2. It's currently empty so I am guessing I can gradually add drives to it and just use for extra storage?

What / how are you using yours? I see it listed as "storage 2" under your PC specs.

Thanks!

Basically your pm961s would only work IF you were using a XEON processor and the key you have. With a non-Xeon processor you are limited to INTEL only drives for VROC. You are correct about the documentation not being very clear and Intel did it that way in my opinion purposely as to not hurt their sales but somewhere way deep in the documentation is a single line about XEON CPUs and 3rd party SSDs.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

ez101 wrote:

Thanks!

I wound up using the Hyper card (modified) for 4 280 GB 900P Optane drives for game storage. (U.2 to M.2)
I used another Optane drive for boot.
System is crazy fast.
I also added a 1TB 860 EVO SATA scratch drive.