New ROGer Array

How many NVME drives will a XI Hero support?

Obviously we can run 2 NVME drives in M.2-1 and M.2-2 slots on the mobo. But what about in an expansion card. I currently have an add in card with a slot of one NVME and one for a M.2 Sata drive. I have 1 NVME in that slot. Can I source a new add in card that would hold 2 NVME drives and put it in a PCIe slot in place of the one I am using now.

That would give me 4 NVME drives. (A proper question also might be why in the world does somebody need 6 TB of NVME, but what the heck, if you can do it why not). Will the available PCIe channels support the additional 2 NVME drives?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
    Can I source a new add in card that would hold 2 NVME drives and put it in a PCIe slot in place of the one I am using now.
    That's exactly the purpose of the ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 card, although on Z390 it's limited to 2-3 NVMe drives depending on which slot you use:
    https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1037507/

New ROGer Array

Excellent link. Thank you. I had to order one used as nobody has it in stock or new. But hopefully it will be in working order.

New ROGer Array

The "used" card from Amazon turned out to be open box and apparently unused. I have tried several add in cards without success but this Asus Hypercard worked perfectly well. I am using a 1070 Ti in PCIe slot 1 and put the Hypercard in slot 2 so am limited to 2 NVME drives. Both are fast and easily recognized.

Thank you for your help

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array MrAgapiGC PC Specs
    MrAgapiGC PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI Code
    Processor9900K
    Memory (part number)CMK32GX4M4B3600C18
    Graphics Card #1STRIX-GTX1080ti-O8G-GAMING
    MonitorAOC AGON AG2701QX (2)
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO 256GB
    Storage #2Kingston Savage 500GB
    CPU CoolerNzxt X74 360mm AIO
    CaseNzxt H700
    Power SupplyEVGA 850 G2
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Asus Spartha
    Headset Hyper X Cloud Revolver S
    Mouse Pad Hyper X Fury S 900mx420mm
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z337
    OS Windows 10 64btis
    Network RouterTpLink Archer C9
    Accessory #1 EKWB FANs all of them

the asus, for example codexi, support 1 even that have 2 slot. cause have spot for 1 2280 model. The hero xi support 2. there is limitation that i can not test. in you case 2 on the board and 2 on the hyper card. you have to check if you add the hyper card, on the pcie 3, the gpu drops to 8x. that i will own that info
    Learn, Play Enjoy!