cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GL504GV weird noise when I'm in game

wordplay
Level 7
I bought new ASUS Scar II laptop yesterday, just finished installing everything.

When I open a game, I start hearing weird noise. It stops if I unplug the charger.
I recorded the noise, it starts around 00:05 of this file. Here it is: https://www105.zippyshare.com/v/MV4NcLnI/file.html

Can you please help me with this? Is this a major issue with my laptop?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Sounds like coil whine. That's normal.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Sounds like coil whine. That's normal.

I found some solutions online so far. Is it worth messing with this or should I just live with the noise?

Solution 1:

put the CPU maximum performance to 99% inside windows 10 control panel

Cons: people say this disables the turbo boost

Solution 2:

At command prompt, run the following command: reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066

Restart the computer

Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and check "Speed Shift - EEP" . Then click save. Use value of 80 for both performance and power saving (using 0 will make your cpu always run at max clock, that generates heat). Then reboot again, if you still hear coil whine or, shut down your computer and turn it on again.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
If the noise doesn't bother you, don't try to fix it. Messing with those settings will make your CPU run hotter and consume more power, or cripple its performance by disabling boost. Limiting the CPU max perf. to 99% will indeed disable turbo boost. Those are not solutions and they don't really fix the problem. They just make it less noticeable.
Only way to really fix this would be to redesign the motherboard and/or use different components. They call it coil whine but sometimes it comes from the vrm's switching. It's a physical, not software level issue.

wordplay
Level 7
Ok, I can live with the noise, I was just really worried that it will affect my laptop's lifespan or maybe cause issues over time.
Just the noise isn't that bad I guess 🙂

Thank you for clarifying!

TX2000
Level 8
i use throttlestop to undervolt my cpu and a side effect of it is that it removes my coil whine