cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal for a gtx1080ti poseidon?

Shane_x86_64
Level 7
Hi all,

I recently got back my GTX1080TI Poseidon from the asus service center in Czech Republic. They replaced the cooler on it, but it still overheats. In overheating I mean it reaches the thermal limit whatever it might be and it downclocks to around 1500MHz core clock. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDCq_NSybWI

Whenever I flex the card up, the temperature IMMEDIATELY normalizes. There's no wait time. And whatever mode I choose it changes nothing. Silent/Game/OC all the same. In less than 5 minutes the card reaches thermal limit. Then if I try to increase the thermal limit to the maximum 90C, I'd expect it to stop heating more, but then it reaches 90C. From 90C if I flex the card up in that instant it's down under 80C, and in flex I truly mean flex. I push it up so hard that my motherboard once-or-twice gave a cracking sound. I sent to above video to the retailer claiming that the card is still bad even after asus replaced the whole cooler. They claim that what's on the video is the normal behavior. I contacted our local asus support center, but they don't cover pc components. Although at first they recommended me to try a couple things, after 2 mails, they stated that I should return the card. The card is just over a year old and I can't really use it.

The video was taken in a morning, from 1m from an open window with 16C outside, 20C in the room. All the sides of the PC case is taken down including the front and top panels, and the card is 14cm above the bottom of the case. If I close it up, it's unusable. 1100MHz core clock. If I flex my motherboard? 76-78C. I tried Superposition, Valley, Heaven, Anthem, World of Warcraft all the same results. I'm running out of options here.
21 REPLIES 21

Shane_x86_64
Level 7
So, things are quite hectic. I can keep this card around 70C on 720p. Going 1080p mediums? Sure no problem prepare to be blown away:
1080p medium - 84c thermal limit:
https://ibb.co/5k0tTBs

1080p medium - 90c thermal limit:
https://ibb.co/DtV4Tph

Something is obviously wrong with this card, I mean the whole cooler block was replaced and it still hits thermal targets even on 1080p medium?! But for 720p it's fine 🙂 For a price - equivalent of usd 1400 - I have a 720p capable piece of brick. 😉

raju2529
Level 7
[
Update gpu video bios
or gpu might be faulty
or enough power not going to gpu
or enough cooling not supplying to gpu
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

Shane_x86_64
Level 7
- GPU vbios is the newest available.
- I also think so! I'm fighting with the retailer to accept this fact. Right now the only resolution it's not reaching the thermal limit is 720p, even 1080p causes massive heat output.
- I got a 750W Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold PSU, but also tried a 850W Corsair RMx same issue.
- Cooling-wise 20C ambient temperature 1m away from open window without any case panels. I also replaced the 2 noctua chromax fans to blow cold air directly to the gpu. Same issue.

- I also tried different driver version
- Tried all possible PCIE slots of my Maximus XI Hero
- Tried all possible PCIE slots of my brother's Maximus VIII Extreme

- The whole cooling block was just replaced by ASUS
- Temps are still over the edge
- Fun fact: AURA does not detect the GPU, I can't control lighting

maybe forgot apply on some places thermal pads or thermal paste. I think its time unmount cooler :cool:

Shane_x86_64
Level 7
I don't think so either... The card did the same thing using the original cooling block, and does the same thing with the replaced cooling block. Long story short, I sent the card back to the retailer again, and hopefully this time they will acknowledge that this is not normal behavior. Too bad local asus support can't really help with pc components and that the retailer swallowed the factory warranty...

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
fan profiles. the cards uses a very high fan profiles that kicks on the db side.

Test these for me. change the fan profle that at soon gets to 60C the fans spins at 100% and let me know. That i see all ready on 1080 ti and working 2080ti.

that app kicks the back to any card. check that please.

There are 2 scenarios there.
1. when you move the card. (i have seen that all ready tha the pcie is not making contact. gpu support bracket. but for the test lay down the case and re test.
2. fan profiles

good video.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Shane_x86_64
Level 7

Shane_x86_64
Level 7
I have tested fan profiles already, but it's already quite high. I tried making it constant 100% fan speed but that didn't change a thing. Well, ... it did as it took like 10-15 minutes for the card to reach thermal limit instead of 1-2 minutes with the stock fan speed but still reached thermal limit. Support bracket is a good point, I've been using it in a Phanteks Enthoo Elite case during the first year, and with that the card ran at a nice 80°C max temperature.
I also tried all PCIe slots of my own Maximus XI Hero motherboard, and all PCIe slots of my brother's Maximus VIII Extreme board, all the same issues. Our local ASUS support tried to help and had the following pretty good points:

• Remove all the plastic from the card - okay it was nowhere near the fans but fair point, removed that made absolutely no difference at all.
  • The gpu core clocks are over the roof, am I sure I haven't applied any overclock? - Yeah pretty sure, that was just the OC profile in GPU Tweak II, but reran my tests in Gaming and Silent modes too, again not the slightest difference whatsoever.
  • They noticed I was running 8K optimized preset in Superposition and so told me that it makes a huge load on the card so I should reran in lower presets - ... hmmm okayyyy I'm not fully convinced as it uses more VRAM but we're suffering from GPU core temps but here you go 1080p medium:

Pictures are above, the last hour I've been trying to make this post, but every single time I get Forbidden.

As you can see the card reaches thermal max from 1080p Medium, through 1080p Extreme, 4K Optimized, to 8K Optimized. I found that on 720p it reaches 72-74°C as final temperature, so I got a 1080ti that's fine for 720p gaming! Yay! :cool:

Vlada011
Level 10
I didn't had such problems. Temps are same as reviews shows and on Air and on Liquid.
But Immediately after Installed GPU I put styrofoam to hold GPU. I didn't even allow to GPU start to sag little by little.

Iphone put on backplate of GPU say that she is now in perfectly flat position. He have some measure for level inside and it's green 0 degree angle.
But I desperately search for ASUS TUF-ROG Universal GPU bracket available in ASUS X299 TUF Mark 1, Zenith Extreme and Rampage VI Extreme.
Some stores even wait to boards show on RMA to take him, but who knows how long I will wait and it's terrible because only Japan store offer TUF VGA Holder.
That's only small Holder and almost not visible.

It's terrible behavior of ASUS who not care about customers who need small parts they produced.

Once morning was cold and I saw Core temps on 25C and when I run Firestrike Xtreme Poseidon temp was 49C.
But mostly is 53-55C. I can say I'm satisfied enough to stay on this cooler and not to throw money for full cover block.
Instead of that I will buy one Black Ice Nemesis GTS 360 radiator.

EK, Bitspower, Phanteks waterblocks for ASUS GTX1080Ti Strix are compatible with ASUS Poseidon.
And that was very smart decision because PCB on Strix is enough for any kind of overclocking.