cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[BIOS] Should I update?

Roby27
Level 7
Hi everyone, I have a Z370-E motherboad with v0614 BIOS. I saw that a lot of new updates are out. Should I update? I'm missing out on performance with this outdated BIOS?
12 REPLIES 12

kens30
Level 11
There is no need to update Bios if your PC is working just fine.
Unless you are concerned about all the Intel security flaws then i advise you to update as you are on a really old Bios.
If you do update to the latest Bios with the all fixed security flaws be prepared to lose some cpu performance,
but the biggest impact hit affects HD, SSD I/O.

kens30 wrote:
There is no need to update Bios if your PC is working just fine.
Unless you are concerned about all the Intel security flaws then i advise you to update as you are on a really old Bios.
If you do update to the latest Bios with the all fixed security flaws be prepared to lose some cpu performance,
but the biggest impact hit affects HD, SSD I/O.

Question - Do any of the updates impact the NVMe detection? I'm having issues with the system I built (ROG MAXIMUS XI - Intel 9900K, Nvidia 1070ti, Evo 970 )
not seeing my Intel series 6 NVMe M2 drive. I find it super irritating. I called it in and they sent me a 2 year old compatability list - hence the purchase of the 970. )
The bios simply doesn't see it. I popped in and manually changed all the settings everyone has suggested but no go. I even had to recover from backup bios once because I changed so much stuff. (yes.. I admit my tech errors)

Thanks!

tkhula wrote:
Question - Do any of the updates impact the NVMe detection? I'm having issues with the system I built (ROG MAXIMUS XI - Intel 9900K, Nvidia 1070ti, Evo 970 )
not seeing my Intel series 6 NVMe M2 drive. I find it super irritating. I called it in and they sent me a 2 year old compatability list - hence the purchase of the 970. )
The bios simply doesn't see it. I popped in and manually changed all the settings everyone has suggested but no go. I even had to recover from backup bios once because I changed so much stuff. (yes.. I admit my tech errors)

Thanks!

The is no impact. but.... not seeing the nvme drive, is a issue. i have a 960evo and even with my old model still there as i install it. If you make it work, if you use a Samsung or any nvme that use drivers, disable in bios AMI nvme support once the driver is install. On last 2 revision in bios, the new one 1005, you will not find x4 support. These is automatic now. I will try check with the guys (my own community here , and see is anyone has some issues like these. Not promising any feedback until i find some data.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC wrote:
The is no impact. but.... not seeing the nvme drive, is a issue. i have a 960evo and even with my old model still there as i install it. If you make it work, if you use a Samsung or any nvme that use drivers, disable in bios AMI nvme support once the driver is install. On last 2 revision in bios, the new one 1005, you will not find x4 support. These is automatic now. I will try check with the guys (my own community here , and see is anyone has some issues like these. Not promising any feedback until i find some data.

Yes - Could get the 960 EVO to work in one slot. I wasn't able to get the darn screw out of the other slot and was pondering if there was a difference in the two slots. I'm functional in the one next to the CPU I was unable to the the one next to the PCI slots unscrewed. It was VERY stubborn and I decided not worth getting the stripped screw tool out.
Oh and for those of you cheering on the bios update - I've worked for most of the PC manufactures over a long career and I have to say that IMHO bios updates should not be viewed like updating a app. Bricked boards are not pretty and there is NOT a warranty that covers that. IF there is a really good reason, then I'll do it

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
Yeah dont update if you don't care about any of the following

0615: 2.Improved system performance.
0616: 1. Improve OC performance, 2. Improve system stability
0805: Intel New ME Update, Improve Stability.
1002: 1. Improve system performance
1406: Improve system performance
1601: Improve system stability
1802: Improve system stability

There's only 1 bios update for that board so far with microcode adjustments and thats 1803. All the others since 0614 are nothing but system performance and stability updates. Nobody wants a better performing and stable system right?

Might wanna look into the bios chancelogs before you go tell someone not to update.

kens30
Level 11
Don't you find it strange that for almost all boards the changelog is always (Improve system performance) with no other info?
Plus i find it hard to believe that other Strix boards got microcode updates and left this model vulnerable to Intel Meltdown and Spectre.
Bios version 1803 microcode update is only for 9th gen processors.
Plus if he does update to the latest bios version and encounters issues he wont be able to use the Eazy Flash utility to roll back BIOS.
Only with Asus flashback witch his board does not have.

raju2529
Level 7
Update both intel me firmware and bios microcode /.
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
CPU's get microcode updates, not boards.

Ch3vr0n wrote:
CPU's get microcode updates, not boards.

CPU's don't have a BIOS chip.