cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G771JW mainboard malfunction without my fault / goodwill from ASUS ?

Payne123
Level 7
Hello,

I bought my laptop G771JW 3 years ago for 1300 €. Earlier this month, when i changed the bootorder in BIOS to start from CD, the laptop stopped booting.
After sending the laptop in, Asus answered me the mainboard exchange would cost 800 €.
I didnt do anything wrong and after 3 years, I should pay a price nearly of a new laptop without any warranty, this won't happen again? I mean is there no goodwill about those things?
So basically i can throw a 1300 € laptop after 3 years into the trashcan, even tough I didn't do anything wrong, or i ll pay 800 € and have to pray this will not happen again. Nice choices there and it doesn't seem fair to me.

Had somebody a similar case here maybe ?
4 REPLIES 4

raju2529
Level 7
try to reset default bios settings.
Remove cmos battery and reinsert. then power on, boot as normal
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

raju2529 wrote:
try to reset default bios settings.
Remove cmos battery and reinsert. then power on, boot as normal

This was the first thing i did. Nothing helps, the mainboard is dead. I just want to know if there has been similar cases with goodwill, because warranty or not, I didn't do anything wrong and have to pay nearly the same price as for a new laptop just to repair Asus faulty mainbaord.
And of course there won't be any guarantee it wont happen again after i paid a total of 2 k€.

Payne123 wrote:
This was the first thing i did. Nothing helps, the mainboard is dead. I just want to know if there has been similar cases with goodwill, because warranty or not, I didn't do anything wrong and have to pay nearly the same price as for a new laptop just to repair Asus faulty mainbaord.
And of course there won't be any guarantee it wont happen again after i paid a total of 2 k€.

Out of warranty service is expensive when performed by the manufacturer, unfortunately. This is the case for most products. Once the last production cycle has ended parts are not made anymore so new parts cost a premium and aren't as easy to find. Like most companies ASUS products have a limited warranty. If you want to have work done outside of the warranty terms you have to pay out of pocket. To explictly answer your question: No, I have not seen ASUS perform out of warranty work for free, nor has my car's manufacturer, nor my HVAC company. Warranties are limited precisely because companies don't want to be on the hook forever.

Personally I would look on Ebay for another machine with a broken screen and take it to a local PC shop to have the work done if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself. There's really no reason to have ASUS do the work as they will inevitably charge more than an independent shop for the same work.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

davemon50
Level 11
Have you tried removing the CD/DVD player entirely to see if it will boot?
Davemon50