cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is ASUS charging me 1.4k to replace the motherboard?

ajexp
Level 7
I had sent in my Asus Stri GL703VM notebook last week. I am out of warranty. They were attempting to charge me 1385. 1500 with tax. I only paid 1300 for my laptop. Why is asus trying to charge me so much for a simple motherboard replacement. I have only had this laptop for a year. Its crazy that the motherboard failed so quick.
4 REPLIES 4

raju2529
Level 7
did you kNowthe reason why they changed the motherboard ?
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

xeromist
Might be they don't have a replacement board available so they actually have to manually repair your board. You're paying for the labor for whatever they're doing as well as the parts so it can get expensive out of warranty.

Personally I would look on ebay for a motherboard or a unit with a broken screen and have a local shop swap the parts out. Should be cheaper.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

davemon50
Level 11
That's ridiculous. Should be like a car accident calculation; if the cost of the repair is more than a certain percentage of the entire item replacement, then it should be replaced. Makes no sense to repair it at that point, if the repair cost is too high (like in your case here).

Did they already fix it and now are billing you? Or did they just give you the diagnosis and ask you what you want them to do?
Davemon50

SaLSouL
Level 10
that is classed as BER (Beyond Economic Repair) and is a recognised status within IT for equipment, or at least in professional repair centres