cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you prefer a drivers page?

X-ROG
Level 15
I know there are complaints about our drivers page as people prefer the very straight list created in our "Important & Useful Threads" subforum, so I have started to create this:

But then I wondered: does this solve the issue? Why copy something on the site that already works in the forum? In addition, this list is only for people of Windows 7 x64 - can ROG appear to 'ignore' those who use the 32-bit OS'?

Most of the list is direct download links from the ASUS site - these can just as easily be pulled from the product pages. One main criticism is that they are not the most up-to-date versions, but that's because they are fail qualification in some area. For example: every Nvidia driver since 267 on the site has had an S3 bug with the 560M. This may not affect MOST people, but we work on the basis of having something that aims to work 100% with 95% of the performance, rather than working at 100% performance for everyone except those who hibernate.

So please provide your ideas and feedback. Thanks 🙂
23 REPLIES 23

BrodyBoy
Level 10
It's an appealing idea to try and consolidate, but I'm not sure that a listing of the drivers already provided on the product support pages is worth all your trouble. (That's not a criticism.....I do understand your reason for sticking to the "approved" drivers.)

In fact, it could end up in more confusion, because many owners may see another list of drivers and still ask whether this or that one applies to their model/configuration, or whether some other/newer one might be better. At least, with the product support pages, they can be assured that they are already looking at the latest drivers for their exact model.

To make the thread a reliable alternative to the product pages, it would have to have separate sections for virtually every G-series model and configuration released in recent years. That's a lot of models, and a lot of different driver packages. and it seems it would inevitably fall behind here and there.....prompting owners who only want the Asus-released drivers to check the product pages anyway.

Just my two cents....:)

[/HR]

EDIT: One more thought. Since the point would be to easily reference the Asus drivers releases, maybe another approach could be a BIG NOTICE on the "newer" drivers threads. Directions on where to find the "official" releases (a surprising number of owners don't seem to know about those model support pages), and a brief explanation of the difference & why Asus releases seem "older," would actually clear up a lot of confusion, I think.

BrodyBoy wrote:
It's an appealing idea to try and consolidate, but I'm not sure that a listing of the drivers already provided on the product support pages is worth all your trouble. (That's not a criticism.....I do understand your reason for sticking to the "approved" drivers.)

In fact, it could end up in more confusion, because many owners may see another list of drivers and still ask whether this or that one applies to their model/configuration, or whether some other/newer one might be better. At least, with the product support pages, they can be assured that they are already looking at the latest drivers for their exact model.

To make the thread a reliable alternative to the product pages, it would have to have separate sections for virtually every G-series model and configuration released in recent years. That's a lot of models, and a lot of different driver packages. and it seems it would inevitably fall behind here and there.....prompting owners who only want the Asus-released drivers to check the product pages anyway.

Just my two cents....:)

[/HR]

EDIT: One more thought. Since the point would be to easily reference the Asus drivers releases, maybe another approach could be a BIG NOTICE on the "newer" drivers threads. Directions on where to find the "official" releases (a surprising number of owners don't seem to know about those model support pages), and a brief explanation of the difference & why Asus releases seem "older," would actually clear up a lot of confusion, I think.

I find it ridiculous that a company like that does not support their users! If there are problems you should clarify with communicated to the users, the use of dirvers if necessary. With all due respect to you, you can not resolve things by only a forum! Do I think that Asus sin of professionalism.
ASUS G750JZ - T4044H with GX1000 black

Symho
Level 7
MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
I know there are complaints about our drivers page as people prefer the very straight list created in our "Important & Useful Threads" subforum, so I have started to create this:

But then I wondered: does this solve the issue? Why copy something on the site that already works in the forum? In addition, this list is only for people of Windows 7 x64 - can ROG appear to 'ignore' those who use the 32-bit OS'?

Most of the list is direct download links from the ASUS site - these can just as easily be pulled from the product pages. One main criticism is that they are not the most up-to-date versions, but that's because they are fail qualification in some area. For example: every Nvidia driver since 267 on the site has had an S3 bug with the 560M. This may not affect MOST people, but we work on the basis of having something that aims to work 100% with 95% of the performance, rather than working at 100% performance for everyone except those who hibernate.

So please provide your ideas and feedback. Thanks 🙂

Sorry Marshall, i don't understand why Asus don't update our drivers!
May you explain another time?
Thanks!

i think that a company the size of asus, should be able to keep up a drivers database. you should list the older drivers that you know have no problems for everybody, but should also list the latest drivers, with a short description of each. i don't understand why that is too much to ask, because other companies do it. with my old hp, i never had a problem going to get drivers that worked, off of their drivers page. never! asus's site, should have a drivers page for each model (that uses different drivers), and they should keep it up to date. they should also put some time and energy into writing BETTER drivers for their products. because it appears to their customers, that they put little to no attention into making sure that they write quality drivers. this is not rocket science. it's just a matter of showing the customer that they care enough to put some resources into taking care of them AFTER THE SALE.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

AQUASTEVAE wrote:
i think that a company the size of asus, should be able to keep up a drivers database. you should list the older drivers that you know have no problems for everybody, but should also list the latest drivers, with a short description of each. i don't understand why that is too much to ask, because other companies do it. with my old hp, i never had a problem going to get drivers that worked, off of their drivers page. never! asus's site, should have a drivers page for each model (that uses different drivers), and they should keep it up to date. they should also put some time and energy into writing BETTER drivers for their products. because it appears to their customers, that they put little to no attention into making sure that they write quality drivers. this is not rocket science. it's just a matter of showing the customer that they care enough to put some resources into taking care of them AFTER THE SALE.

I admit the short description/better labeling is needed. We do keep a database of our own updates: there's always a full BIOS list for example, but it often depends what we're provided from 3rd parties for drivers. With respect to our own software, some of it could definitely be better I admit, but AI Suite II is getting better with each revision.

We put the entire downloads list for each product on every product page, how is HPs way better?

Symho wrote:
Thanks!

We test every single relevant driver release with our hardware, but if there's a bug the team doesn't update the page. That bug might not affect 90% users but our aim is to have 100% compatibility, not the absolute-most performance at the expense of leaving some people behind.

Those of you who sleep/hibernate your laptops take notice...

^^ This I will pass on thanks!

Live Update issue - OK noted.

Symho wrote:
Thanks!

@Symho: With all due respect, you've made your complaint more than clear.....many times. No matter how often you berate Asus for not updating the product support pages as frequently as you'd like, they are not going to do it. They do it their way, and Marshall explained the reasoning:

Most of the list is direct download links from the ASUS site - these can just as easily be
pulled from the product pages. One main criticism is that they are not the most up-to-date versions,
but that's because they are fail qualification in some area.

That seems pretty clear to me. Whether you or I agree with it, or like it, that's apparently the way Asus chooses to handle product page updates. We're all free to choose whether we want to use those drivers, or seek alternatives from other sources.

BrodyBoy wrote:
@Symho: With all due respect, you've made your complaint more than clear.....many times. No matter how often you berate Asus for not updating the product support pages as frequently as you'd like, they are not going to do it. They do it their way, and Marshall explained the reasoning:

That seems pretty clear to me. Whether you or I agree with it, or like it, that's apparently the way Asus chooses to handle product page updates. We're all free to choose whether we want to use those drivers, or seek alternatives from other sources.

I'm agree but I don't understand why a company so big don't use customer sadisfaction! This G74sx will be my last ASUS, i have a Sony laptop too and this problems are fantasy! Yes, best design on G74 but poor poor support and some problems too! I had Tz056V before and i had changed for TZ206V in warranty for many problems! Now I have explained the reasons for my resentment, a serious company answer in person does not leave users in the lurch. Sorry for the outburst! Thank you! Bye!

dstrakele
Level 14
MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
For example: every Nvidia driver since 267 on the site has had an S3 bug with the 560M. This may not affect MOST people, but we work on the basis of having something that aims to work 100% with 95% of the performance, rather than working at 100% performance for everyone except those who hibernate.

I found this piece of information the most interesting in this thread. It would be useful to see examples like this posted on the driver page.

Those of you who sleep/hibernate your laptops take notice...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Doan
Level 8
Would something like this be regularly updated? Who would check to make sure that each driver is the most up-to-date? When would a specified model's driver page stop being updated, and would we be informed?

I like the idea, in general, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, each model (G53, G73, G74) should have its own page of drivers, including the different hardware (ie: two different touchpads) that may be present in the same model notebook.
Hi, I'm Dan.