cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a new Liquid Cooler

JJBandit
Level 7
Hi Folks,

My new Ryujin 240 liquid cooler arrived yesterday, and i have fitted it according to the very minimalistic instructions contained with the unit. But i'm a litle concerned its not fitted correctly.

Can anyone suggest a way to test whether its working correctly or not?

I ran the 3DMARK demo, and the "Realbench" bench marking software i found on these forums, and my CPU temp was hitting about 82c

However, when idling, eg, as i'm typing this, its running at 58c. Is this normal? I thought it was suipposed to be much lower.

What is concering me is that, when using the livedash software, if i select the 3 watercooling options (in, out, flow) nothing shows on the display. and in BIOS, the AIO shows as N/A.

My setup is as folllows:

i7 7800k (1151 socket)
ROG Strix Z270E Mobo
ROG Ryujin 240 cooler

There are a couple of things i can think of that might be having an effect, but i was hoping i could ask your guys for advice before i start taking it all apart again (the wiring was a nightmare).

The 4 standoff bolts looked a little tall, but i'm certain they are the correct ones, at least going from the instruction booklet, for my setup. I used the longer ones with even length screws on each side. But its extremely hard to tell how well it was sitting on the processor.

I possibly put a little too much thermal paste on the processor when i sat the cooler on it, and the pate was a bit old (and mid to low range if i recall correctly, Arctic Silver?) does pate go off after a while? can a little too much have a negative effect?

Could i have plugged the cables into the wrong ports? which is why the AIO is showing N/A in the bios, and why the cooling readings arent showing on the livedash? I'm confident i plugged the various cables in to the correct places. Is there any way to test?

Do i need to enable the pump some how in the bios? I used EZtune, and set it to gaming, watercooled, etc.

*Edit to add question: I have the fans on the rad with the stickers and protector so you can see them on the inside, could i have them the wrong way around?

If anyone has any advice,, suggestions, or link to where i can find a bit more of a comprehensive user manual, i would be eternally greatful.

I'm fairly confident with building rigs, but this is my first liquid cooled unit, so i'm not sure what i should be expecting.

Thanks in advance
10 REPLIES 10

JJBandit
Level 7
Just an update to this, I downloaded the FW updater app, and when i run it, it says "device not found"

I have tried connecting to the other 9pin USB on the mobo also, just to make sure that wasn;t the issue. but still no joy

As far as stand offs for the processor, if you see reasonable temp at idle, then that shouldn't be the problem. What header is your pump connected to? What header are your fans from the rad connected to?

did you connect sata power cable?

JJBandit
Level 7
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies,

@feedmeink, the idle temp is around 50 degrees C, which is why i'm not sure its working correctly, as i was expecting around 30/40, I have the pump connected to the CPU-fan header, and the rad fans are conected to the cables that come out of the pump specifically for the two fans, as instructed to by the user manual found here : https://www.asus.com/Cooling/ROG-RYUJIN-240/HelpDesk_Manual/

@DeadlyMercury, yes, i have the sata connected.

I can feel the vibrations in the pipes, which i have read is a good indicator that the pump is working (which is a relief). But also ready that i should have maybe removed the paste that came on the pump, and started totally fresh. I also added my own arctic silver paste, so maybe there is a conflict between those.

I have ordered some grizzly paste that will be delivered tomorrow, so i will try cleaning the cpu and the pump and use some fresh stuff. i

But it seems odd that my ROG Mobo doesnt seem to be picking up that the AIO is connected, and the FW update app says no device found.. or is this normal?

I have read, but need to check the specs, that some ROG mobos have a header specifically for the pump. should i be using that if i have one?

JJBandit
Level 7
Just another update,

SO i changed the pump fan to the AIO pump header, and now its showing in bios and the monitoring software I also swapped the rad fans over from the connectors from the pump to CPU_fan & CPU_fan_opt

I think my next option is to try some new paste, as its about 2 degrees C lower now, but the only thing i can think of is the paste.

You did the right thing. Connections are propper. Also make sure in bios fan for rad are the speed you are looking for. 50c is hot for idle temps for sure. With that size of rad, I would think 35 to 40c at most. Use thermal grizzle and spread paste manually. Clean the old paste off thoroughly. Of that doesn't solve it, it could be running too high of voltage, or ihs of cpu is not flat. Or pump contact isn't machined flat. But thermal grizzly should fill in those gaps and still be ok.

mdzcpa
Level 12
A few things.

Your temps seem too high. I suggest you remount the cooler. Use only a VERY thing layer of thermal paste. Clean the block and CPU first.

Live Dash will NOT display pump speed, and water temps....those are for custom cooling only when you have components connected to the those specific motherboard headers.

I suggest you leave your radiator fans connected to the AIO so that you can create custom fan curves in Fan Expert.
Under Fan Expert you should have 3 settings. Pump Speed, Fan Speed (one curve for BOTH Rad fans), and Fan Speed for the VRM Fan.

I suggest you read through some of the other threads on the Ryujin in the Coolers section here on the forums. Many of your questions have been answered there.

GO HERE: https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?307-ROG-AIO-Cooling

davemon50
Level 11
Based on everything you've said, I would agree with mdzcpa, I think you need to re-paste/re-mount the block to get your temps closer to desirable range. I have always had good success with the dot method for paste, although I've always used Corsair AIO units myself (not that cooler brand makes much of a difference in paste application). If you haven't already done this, you could take advantage of numerous videos on YouTube with show-and-tell demos on paste application, but you might want to watch several because there are a lot of varying approaches. 😉
Davemon50

JJBandit
Level 7
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies! I think i have gotten to the bottom of it.

So i reseated the cooler using new paste, and that dropped the temp by about 10 degrees C. So that definately helped.

However, it looks like the issue was that i had a process running using 50% of my CPU at all times.

You may have come across it, it was called wlanext.exe

There is supposed to be a process by windows named the same, but the location for the genuine one is supposed to be in the sys32 folder. This one was in windows/wmu3.

So i renamed it to prevent it from launching, then ended the task. and my CPU is idling around 5% - 7% now, and the temp has dropped to around 25 degrees C.

So it turns out that it was nothing to do with the cooler, but at least i'm confident that i have actually installed it correctly.

I'll hold onto the renamed files for a bit to make sure everything works with it disabled, and will remove it once i'm sure its ok to do so.

Thanks for all the advice!