cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 x nvme ssds will not work on my Asus Maximus XI Formula

adulaamin
Level 7
Hi! I want to add a second nvme SSD on my ASUS Maximus XI Formula but If I install 2 on the motherboard's m.2 slots, it will not work. Both drives do not show up on BIOS or on Windows install. However, if I only install one, it shows up on BIOS or Windows install. I've already installed Windows 10 x64 on one of the SSDs by removing the secondary SSD. My system specs are as follows

Intel Core i7-8086K
ASUS Maximus XI Formula
4 x 16gb G.Skill Trident Z 3600mhz C17
EVGA GTX 1080 ti FTW3
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
2 x 1tb Samsung EVO Plus nvme

How do I get both drives to work? I don't have any other drives, just the 2 nvme drives.

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
how did you mange to install 2 on 1 2280 screw.??? i try and does not fit? can you send me pictures?
Learn, Play Enjoy!

adulaamin
Level 7

Now tell me how to make 2 nvme ssds work on this expensive board... 😉

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
uffff i am so a idiot. .

ok. Let me first install mine.

Does not show in bios correct?

bios version?
Learn, Play Enjoy!

adulaamin
Level 7
Yup it does not show up on bios or on windows install when 2 nvme ssds are installed. It won't even boot on the ssd with Windows 10 installed on it when 2 nvme ssds are installed. I'm on the latest bios version, version 1005... 🙂

Wasn't there a switch in BIOS, to change from X2 to X4. I think you need to activate that.

EDITED:
Not exactly this, this is for the old bios to activate it at all, but something similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU7l4t-fdxI

P.S. I might be wrong tho, just guessing.

Never been able to get my 2x NVMe to show up in the Bios. The only time they show is if you set up RAID. Also that option in the Bios (VID) M.2 mode is not available in the 1005 Bios.

Forgot, they do show up in windows setup and you can install windows and works fine with no problems.

ninezerofive wrote:
Wasn't there a switch in BIOS, to change from X2 to X4. I think you need to activate that.

EDITED:
Not exactly this, this is for the old bios to activate it at all, but something similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU7l4t-fdxI

P.S. I might be wrong tho, just guessing.

That setting only gives 2 options on my bios, X2 Mode or X4 Mode. I've tried both and no go. I've checked the manual as well and there's nothing about what to do when you want to use both m.2 slots.

BoottroopSix wrote:
Never been able to get my 2x NVMe to show up in the Bios. The only time they show is if you set up RAID. Also that option in the Bios (VID) M.2 mode is not available in the 1005 Bios.

Forgot, they do show up in windows setup and you can install windows and works fine with no problems.

I thought it would be plug and play, just install both m.2 ssds then select which one you'd prefer as primary or secondary but I guess it's more complicated than that with this board. This is the first ROG board that's giving me troubles. :rolleyes:

adulaamin
Level 7
any ideas/suggestions? 🙂

BoottroopSix
Level 7
No option in Bios, the first time I used 2x NVMe I installed windows on one then set up the other through Disk Management in windows as secondary. As I said the only way I could find to get these NVMe to ever show up in the Bios was going through the Raid 0 set up. I also have Samsung NVMe m.2 drives, maybe that's the problem.