cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does it happen if I disable the turbo on my i9 7940X CPU?

FoxAdriano
Level 11
Hi in my PC there are Prime X299-Deluxe, i9 7940X and GTX 1080Ti. I don't do gaming at all but sometimes I make video editing. What could it happen if I disable the turbo on the BIOS? The technician who assembled it has disabled the turbo. Now the PC heats up a lot less and it seems to me as powerful as with the turbo. What is your opinion? Did I do a right thing to disable it or is it a big mistake?
Thnaks for your info.
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi FoxAdriano

With Turbo disabled your cpu will run at the base frequency of 3.10GHz, with Turbo enabled it will boost to 4.3GHz.

The tech may have disabled Turbo because of high temps, what is your cpu cooler and how are temps ?

My COOLING SYSTEM IS: Corsair H150i 360mm cooler
The temps were around 72-73 °C and now around 50 °C.
What is your opinion please?
Thanks

Nate152
You have a very good cooler and your temps are fine at 72c - 73c. According to the Intel spec sheet TJunction is 102c although for 24/7 try to stay at or below 80c which you are.

Since your temps are fine you can enable turbo to get full performance from your cpu.

WONDERFULLLL. I thank you for your news. A last question please:
as I got problems with the video editing software, the tech incresed a bit the CPU voltage. He told me around 20%. But now I solved my problem with my software and maybe it is better I choose the previous voltage. Could you tell me what is the precise CPU voltage I have to choose please?
THANKS again one.

Nate152
All cpu's are not created equal so noone can give you an exact number, this is something you'll have to play with. The lower you can get the cpu voltage the lower cpu temps will be.

Keep lowering the cpu voltage .01v until it becomes unstable then bring it back up .01v - .02v., you can use Realbench to test for stability if you like.

https://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/