cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAMPAGE V EXTREME - Constant OC Fail - When I'm not overclocking!! HELP!!

Swampdonkey
Level 7
I built my current rig 2 years ago, Overclocked it to 4.3Ghz and it has been completely stable for the duration. I had to reinstall Windows about 2 weeks ago and as I now mainly use my PC for business decided to run on the default settings. CPU on Auto and RAM at 2133MHz. Now I am averaging one OC Fail a day!

Just can't get my head around it, how can I get an OC fail when I'm not overclocking!! Bizarre. Any ideas on a fix?
8 REPLIES 8

feedmeink
Level 12
What exactly does it do? Could be a number of things.

feedmeink wrote:
What exactly does it do? Could be a number of things.

The first thing that happens is Windows Explorer crashes necessitating a hard shutdown and restart. The Overclock Fail message appears at POST, so I go into the bios and save and exit then Windows starts normally...for a while. It happens all the time if I leave the PC for a while and it enters sleep mode.

I thought that it could have been the RAM, so I fixed the frequency at the default (2133MHz) to try and rule this out. Yet the issue remains.

mdzcpa
Level 12
Set your memory to XMP and then adjust the memory speed manually to 2133.

mdzcpa wrote:
Set your memory to XMP and then adjust the memory speed manually to 2133.

I'll give it a go. Thanks

Double check temperature of each core using coretemp or hwinfo64. It is possible one of your components is thermal throttling and causing shut down. If it is abnormally high, re apply thermal paste

Swampdonkey
Level 7
Thanks feedmeink, all cores running between 28 and 31C. I think I'll run a stress test to see if one of the cores gets hot, although, it tends to crash when I'm not gaming, so the cores a running cool when it happens. A bit weird.

Also make sure that your mem voltage is correct - I had a bios update reset it to auto when the XMP profile was enabled, may not be the case here but it created Chaos. I would also do a full CMOS reset and set all of the settings manually again just so you know they are right.

Barring that I would perhaps replace the CMOS battery in case it's beyond it's best by date.

If the problem persisted after that I would be getting out my multimeter or scope and checking out the voltages on all the power supply connections.

Good luck, hope this helps.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha

28BeersLater
Level 7
Yup, even when "not overclocking" clock speeds are set and vary. I'm also a (very recent X) R5E user, I regularly used to get boot issues, usually CPU over voltage, or overclocking failed errors, followed by a regular ritual bios self destruction! that said once it was "up" it was rock solid, even at 2.5 ghz on all cores.

As above I'd recommend choosing XMP, setting the correct RAM speed, check the recommend RAM voltage for your RAM try the latest bios if you are not already.

Are you on the latest intel chipset drivers and firmware?
Gotterdammerung: Rampage V Extreme | Intel I7-5930K | 32GB Corsair Dominator 2666 | EVGA GTX 980 SC x3
Kingston HyperX Predator 480GB | Corsair Neutron XT 960GB | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair 900D | EK RVE Monoblock | EK 980 GTX Blocks

GOOSE: STRIX Z390I Gaming | Intel i9-9900KF | 32GB Vengeance RGB 3200 | STRIX Vega 64 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB x2
Corsair SF 750 | Phanteks Evolv Shift X | EK Z390I Monoblock | EK Strix Vega 64 GPU Block