cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS Bios 306 = no boot with secondary SATA SSD connected?

john_matrix
Level 7
Hello,

I have updated the BIOS of my GL502vs to the v306 and it simply cannot boot anymore.
Indeed, it's now freezing with the Republic of Gamers logo.

After some investigations, I have discovered that this is the SSD (Samsung 860 EVO) connected on the SATA port that is causing this freeze (a mechanical HDD or nothing connected cause the system to boot normally).

I have compare the logs of the v302 and the v306 BIOSes with AMIBCP and the only differences are some mentions of nvme settings).

Are some GL502vs owners in the same case?
52 REPLIES 52

AFRIKA
Level 7
oooh welcome to the cant boot up after bios update club, get ready to rollback your bios with an old hard drive with windows, your new bios will not boot up with an SSD.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?111217-GL702VM-not-booting-after-windows-update-updated-th...

here are the steps to roll back your bios.

AFRIKA wrote:
oooh welcome to the cant boot up after bios update club, get ready to rollback your bios with an old hard drive with windows, your new bios will not boot up with an SSD.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?111217-GL702VM-not-booting-after-windows-update-updated-th...

here are the steps to roll back your bios.

I got in a Asus 2 SSD 850Evo and the 860Evo, i have that issue in many updates i turn off one of them and it work if i tried after the installation it was not possible until one day after 3 months of searchs i found an article i follow that steps and today the too of then work perfectly side by side, and they are sata 3 not nvme , i am going to try to find the work arround and post were i don´t forgot

Regards

raju2529
Level 7
sorry for the issues caused by bios.

i would recommend you to reset the BIOS after every major upgrade of bios.

or downgrade to previous bios version

or get new latest bios from devcice manager

I am using 3 storage devuices , one Samsung 860 evo sdd 250 M.2 with latest firmware , one Seagate hdd 5400rpm 2TB ,, and one Toshibe hdd 1TB 5400rpm. Still no issues on asus vivobook 15 r542uq-dm153 .
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

Thanks all for yours answers!

BIOS revert to v302 (with winflash.exe /nodate) and everything is working like before
Thanks ASUS to post buggy BIOSes 😕

Hi guys,

I am also affected by this, same laptop. With FW 3.06, the system would not boot anymore until I took out the M.2 Sata SSD.

I'm sure I've wasted over half a day to come up with a solution for this cluster-f*ck (open laptop, take out M.2 and HDD, put in an old HDD and reinstall W10, flash back old 3.02 BIOS, disable Firmware Device in Control Panel, etc. ) But that stupid Windows Update would just reapply the BIOS-Upgrade after every reboot. After around 5 iterations of trying different things I gave up.

I opened a ticket at Asus Support, but of course they were worthless. The only reply I received was that I am out of warranty....

Fast forward to yesterday, when I by chance tried to use a NVMe M.2 SSD and voilà, this worked, the system is booting again!

So now instead of a $1500 brick I have a working system again, thank god.

It's sad to say, but I can not really recommend Asus wholeheartedly anymore... after the power drainage fiasco and now this ... their support is really lousy and QA seems to be next to non-existant.

disappointing wrote:
Hi guys,

I am also affected by this, same laptop. With FW 3.06, the system would not boot anymore until I took out the M.2 Sata SSD.

I'm sure I've wasted over half a day to come up with a solution for this cluster-f*ck (open laptop, take out M.2 and HDD, put in an old HDD and reinstall W10, flash back old 3.02 BIOS, disable Firmware Device in Control Panel, etc. ) But that stupid Windows Update would just reapply the BIOS-Upgrade after every reboot. After around 5 iterations of trying different things I gave up.

I opened a ticket at Asus Support, but of course they were worthless. The only reply I received was that I am out of warranty....

Fast forward to yesterday, when I by chance tried to use a NVMe M.2 SSD and voilà, this worked, the system is booting again!

So now instead of a $1500 brick I have a working system again, thank god.

It's sad to say, but I can not really recommend Asus wholeheartedly anymore... after the power drainage fiasco and now this ... their support is really lousy and QA seems to be next to non-existant.

i reported the bios to asus and they removed it from the asus webpage and windows update, i suspended the computer during that time, so it didnt apply the bios again when booting up again.

And Asus help desk is ZERO help. I can roll the computer back to 3.02 BUT windows insists upon installing 3.06 on next reboot, and while I have suspended updates, I cannot seem to find the option (via show/hide.cab file) that keeps it from automatically installing 3.06 on the next start up. I've asked ASUS for an updated bios that bypasses the 3.06 junk (they won't), and I am unable to keep this BIOS from being loaded. Any guidance you all may have would be appreciated.

CRyback wrote:
And Asus help desk is ZERO help. I can roll the computer back to 3.02 BUT windows insists upon installing 3.06 on next reboot, and while I have suspended updates, I cannot seem to find the option (via show/hide.cab file) that keeps it from automatically installing 3.06 on the next start up. I've asked ASUS for an updated bios that bypasses the 3.06 junk (they won't), and I am unable to keep this BIOS from being loaded. Any guidance you all may have would be appreciated.

Use this tool from Microsoft and block the update.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

You can also block automatic device drivers update.
https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-device-drivers

Thank you for the response but upon start up in 3.02 windows says restart required system firmware.*

The cab tool doesn’t see the firmware update (just a defender definition update) and adding the register entry hasn’t done anything.

Again grateful for guidance. *