Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

There may have been a post about a different 3.06 file. I tried that. Doesn't seem to work. Any other ideas? Struggling here and am obliged.

New ROGer Array

There is a 3.06 Bios on Asus purportedly with the date of 7/16/2019, but the file itself indicates a 5/17/2019 date. It has not fixed the secondary drive issue.

New ROGer Array

BIOS 306 kinda sucks.

Hello fellow Asusers,

So I had same problem as you are, tried to reach the support and have a story to tell you. First of all, please, if anyone have same problem not with Samsung EVO SSD, comment on this, because for now I really hope that problem is appearing only with Samsung.

Short info:
    I was using GL502VS laptop, with samsung evo 970 m.2 as OS drive and evo 860 2,5 as secondary drive. It was working well (well 970 had worked with a bit lower speed, but that was to be expected). But after noticing energy leak because of too weak original asus power supply and bad optimization, I needed to upgrade my bios to v. 302. How ever the newest version and only version in their website is 306, so I chose that. After which, as you can guess, no booting were successful, even bios menu as unreachable. After I removed my secondary SSD, computer booted successfully. After some digging I find out this topic. And successfully fixed the problem as previously described in this forum thread.

Now fun facts:
    I contacted to Asus support with this problem, because wanted to get 302 version of bios. What I was told was ridiculous and frustrating! I could add some screen shots, but ganna make a short version of it:
    1) Several times I were told, that Asus do not support Samsung EVO SSD drives. And I should use different provider SSD
    2) That adding additional SSD, voids all technical service: "we do not provide technical support and service for the hardware addition, exchange and transformation for Notebook, Desktop, and All In One production." That sounds very familiar to Apple isn't it? And all those guides how to add RAM or change HDD on Asus official web page becomes quite controversial..... Correct me if I am wrong, but this you cannot add RAM, or Hard drive without losing all means to service was already on news, and consumer won this case not one time.
    3) You should not update BIOS unless it is extremely needed. And it is impossible to downgrade BIOS version and it wouldn't help you anyways. (Well last one is totally wrong)
    Addition to Asus support fun facts, I contacted Samsung support about this as well, and they confirmed me, that Samsung EVO SSD should work just fine on my system. Interesting right?

Solution:
    To all who have this problem, the only way I found is either use NOT Samsung EVO ssd, or downgrade you BIOS back to 302 version ( here is thread how to do it https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...using-Winflash). I strongly suggest contact Asus support and get legitimate version of BIOS from them, also have in mind that rerolling have some risk, similar to updating them and will destroy your warranty, be careful. But that helped me with this problem and had no negative effect.

I still would want to have newest BIOS update, but it seems I won't be able to. And it extremely frustrating when you are greeted with that kind of Asus/Apple like attitude. At least they could leave 302 bios update in their website.

New ROGer Array

Just want to chime in and say Im having the exact same problems. GL502VS with the Samsung EVO 860 as my secondary. Really sucks to hear Asus say that drive isn't support lol. What a copout. For me I ended up having to roll back windows to the previous version because I could not block it from pushing the BIOS update no matter what I did. So I guess Im just stuck on the old version of windows until who knows when or I get an entirely new SSD. However Im reluctant to do that since Ive no way of knowing if the new one will work either.*

Side note: does anyone know SSD SATA drives that will work? Transcend? Seagate? WD?*
    Last edited by Narkanin; 08-29-2019 at 04:57 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array raju2529 PC Specs
    raju2529 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)R542UQ-DM153 ( X542UQ.305 )
    MotherboardAsus motherboard
    ProcessorIntel core i5 7200u @2.5Ghz
    Memory (part number)Adata 2400 Mhz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1intel Hd 620 graphics 1GB DDR3
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GeForce 940MX 2GB GDDR5
    Graphics Card #3nil
    Graphics Card #4nil
    Sound CardRealtek HD Audio controller with codec 294
    MonitorLcd monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD M.2. 2280
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB 2.5inch. Toshiba 1TB 2.5 inch
    CPU CoolerBuilt-in
    Casefrom factory
    Power Supply65W
    Keyboard Built in keyboard
    Mouse Built in mouse
    Headset Philips HeadSet
    Mouse Pad nil
    Headset/Speakers Realtek with ice sound
    OS Windows 10 Insider Preview 64bit 1903build no 18950.1001
    Network RouterBsnl Wi-Fi modem with router
    Accessory #1 Dell Mouse
    Accessory #2 Laptop Cooling table with fan
    Accessory #3 Secureye Usb finger print scanner

I am using 3 disks in r542uq-dm153

Samsung 860 Evo 250gb m.2
    Seagate 2tb sata
    Toshiba 1tb sata

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array raju2529 PC Specs
    raju2529 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)R542UQ-DM153 ( X542UQ.305 )
    MotherboardAsus motherboard
    ProcessorIntel core i5 7200u @2.5Ghz
    Memory (part number)Adata 2400 Mhz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1intel Hd 620 graphics 1GB DDR3
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GeForce 940MX 2GB GDDR5
    Graphics Card #3nil
    Graphics Card #4nil
    Sound CardRealtek HD Audio controller with codec 294
    MonitorLcd monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD M.2. 2280
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB 2.5inch. Toshiba 1TB 2.5 inch
    CPU CoolerBuilt-in
    Casefrom factory
    Power Supply65W
    Keyboard Built in keyboard
    Mouse Built in mouse
    Headset Philips HeadSet
    Mouse Pad nil
    Headset/Speakers Realtek with ice sound
    OS Windows 10 Insider Preview 64bit 1903build no 18950.1001
    Network RouterBsnl Wi-Fi modem with router
    Accessory #1 Dell Mouse
    Accessory #2 Laptop Cooling table with fan
    Accessory #3 Secureye Usb finger print scanner

I àm using 3 disks in vivobook r542uq-dm153

ROG Enthusiast Array

Do I get it correctly that BIOS 306 does not work?
    I've recently updated to Windows1903 as windows now force the update. After struggling with installation, I managed to install 1903 via usb fresh install. I have issue wherein I get stuck in the ROG splash screen whenever I restart. I was hoping the new bios306 would fix this restart problem. Any other steps in fixing this troubled laptop?

Updating to 1903 problems are getting stuck at 85%. Restarting freeze at ROG splash screen.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by nytwolf45 View Post
    Do I get it correctly that BIOS 306 does not work?
    I've recently updated to Windows1903 as windows now force the update. After struggling with installation, I managed to install 1903 via usb fresh install. I have issue wherein I get stuck in the ROG splash screen whenever I restart. I was hoping the new bios306 would fix this restart problem. Any other steps in fixing this troubled laptop?

Updating to 1903 problems are getting stuck at 85%. Restarting freeze at ROG splash screen.

Do you have a Samsung SATA SSD or other SATA SSD in your secondary or tertiary drive spot? If so you’ll need to remove it and this should allow you to boot up. Then you will probably want to revert to the previous version of Windows 10 and flashback the BIOS to 302. Until ASUS releases a new BIOS update that doesn’t have this issue I think we are stuck with the old version of Windows 10.

New ROGer Array

Has anyone had any luck updating to Windows 10 1903 using the regedit to block driver updates? If ASUS is saying they don't support Samsung drives that kind of sounds like we can either 1) buy a new drive or 2) try to get around it if we want to continue receiving Windows updates.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Narkanin View Post
    Do you have a Samsung SATA SSD or other SATA SSD in your secondary or tertiary drive spot? If so you’ll need to remove it and this should allow you to boot up. Then you will probably want to revert to the previous version of Windows 10 and flashback the BIOS to 302. Until ASUS releases a new BIOS update that doesn’t have this issue I think we are stuck with the old version of Windows 10.
    Yes I have a Samsung SSD. I believe this came in as a standard component. Device manager says SAMSUNG MZVPV256HDGL. This means no 306 for me. What's new there anyway aside from bad issues?

I have managed to install 1903. I move all my files to the 1TB HDD drive. Made a usb boot drive. I've tried every other way I can find with google and it seems clean install is the way to go.

The only problem remaining is that I still cant restart without getting stuck in the ROG splash screen. I thought I read somewhere around this forum that a clean install would fix this issue.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast