Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by nytwolf45 View Post
    Yes I have a Samsung SSD. I believe this came in as a standard component. Device manager says SAMSUNG MZVPV256HDGL. This means no 306 for me. What's new there anyway aside from bad issues? I have managed to install 1903. I move all my files to the 1TB HDD drive. Made a usb boot drive. I've tried every other way I can find with google and it seems clean install is the way to go. The only problem remaining is that I still cant restart without getting stuck in the ROG splash screen. I thought I read somewhere around this forum that a clean install would fix this issue.
    A clean install won't help because the GL502VS.306 BIOS is the issue and Windows 1903 pushes that update automatically. Do you have 1 or 2 drives in your laptop? If the Samsung SATA SSD is a secondary drive, open your laptop and remove it. Your boot drive is probably an M.2 and that's ok. Once you have removed the SATA SSD you will be able to boot up all the way. At this point roll back to the previous version of Windows 10 and use Winflash to roll back to BIOS GL502VS.302. Then you can put your Samsung SATA SSD back in. Unfortunately at this time I dont believe there is anyway for GL502VS users to update to Windows 1903 if you are using a Samsung SATA SSD.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Narkanin View Post
    A clean install won't help because the GL502VS.306 BIOS is the issue and Windows 1903 pushes that update automatically. Do you have 1 or 2 drives in your laptop? If the Samsung SATA SSD is a secondary drive, open your laptop and remove it. Your boot drive is probably an M.2 and that's ok. Once you have removed the SATA SSD you will be able to boot up all the way. At this point roll back to the previous version of Windows 10 and use Winflash to roll back to BIOS GL502VS.302. Then you can put your Samsung SATA SSD back in. Unfortunately at this time I dont believe there is anyway for GL502VS users to update to Windows 1903 if you are using a Samsung SATA SSD.
    I currently have 2 drives. From Device manager
    HGST HTS721010A9E630 - 1TB.
    SAMSUNG MZVPV256HDGL - 256Gb SSD. This is my boot drive. Where windows is installed.
    Currently running Windows 1903. Bios 302.

Windows is not pushing the Bios 306 yet. I've hesitating on installing 306 manually because of this thread. Not going back to 1803 since I dont have the option of postponing the 1903 update. Every time I open windows, it just automatically download and update. Costs me network and cpu resources.

May I ask why is the Samsung SATA SSD used as secondary for you guys? Isn't it better to have windows on SSD rather than the HDD?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Update:
    I've updated bios from 302 to 306 without any problem.

Thanks everyone and Narkanin

New ROGer Array

Update:
    I've updated bios from 302 to 306 without any problem.

Thanks everyone and Narkanin
    Good to hear it. I have two SSD one is an M.2 boot drive and the other is the Samsung SATA SSD. Maybe the BIOS issue is only with it as a secondary drive. For me I tried a clean install and everything else but it also ran into the ROG logo screen unless I took out the Samsung.
    So I was forced to just downgrade windows and the BIOS and prevent windows from upgrading.*

New ROGer Array

Hi guys, as many of you I came here to share my story of utter despair and I really wonder why ASUS did not take the 306 BIOS down after they immediately got so many support requests caused by it. It is still online, 2.5 months after the bug reports came in. Worst customer care I've seen so far.

I ran the 306 BIOS update like so many in the past to improve the behavior of my GL502VS (as you know there were issues with the battery discharging during gaming due to the too weak power supply). The update completely wrecked my laptop.

I use an Intel 600p Series 512 GB M.2 SSD as my primary drive with windows on it. Secondary is a HGST Travelstar 7K1000 SATA III 1 TB HDD for data. No windows was installed on the HDD. As you can see the issue is not restricted to Samsung SSDs, so the information that ASUS does not support Samsung hardware is pretty pointless.

ASUS is explicitly advertising its SSD support for this model.

After half a day of research and looking for a better way, I had to install a windows version on my data HDD, run winflash to be able to roll back to BIOS 302 and properly use my SSD again. The whole procedure cost me a full day because ASUS refuses to pull an obviously broken BIOS update down. I am running a clean install win 10 1903 on my SSD now, thankfully windows is not pushing the 306 BIOS update yet. We should probably inform MS to remove the 306 BIOS from their update database if possible since ASUS has already proven to be unbothered.

I am more than disappointed by this. Liked ASUS pretty much thus far but they completely ruined it with their quality assurance and customer support with the GL502VS.

! DO NOT INSTALL BIOS 306 UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ! (nothing to gain, much to lose)

This windows setting might help you to prevent the 306 BIOS auto-update.
    Last edited by Elfire; 08-31-2019 at 12:25 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Maybe my case of success with 1903 and 306 Bios is unprecedented?

For me the Bios 306 solved this restart and getting stuck in the ROG splash screen issue I was having after upgrading to 1903. I wish they have a change log that explains whatever is new with 306.

I'll share in detail whatever happened to mine in hopes this helps anyone.
    I have the Samsung SSD 256 gb and HGST 1TB. Both from when I got my GL502VS. Did not do any upgrade for hardware.
    I did have problems updating to window 1903 way back May or June. It successfully installed by caused my wifi to have issues which made me roll back to 1803. From there I ignored the update until early this week when it can not be ignored any longer. Windows was forcing me to update by downloading and automatically installing everytime I get internet connection. Had problems updating since it always get stuck. I ended up using Windows media creation tool and boot up from the usb to install fresh the 1903 windows. Apparently, fresh install lets me keep windows.old so I can still revert back. After successfully installing 1903, I had problems where it freezes during reboot. That's when I explored updating to BIOS 306. Reading thru all these posts got me worried but tried my luck and found success. Maybe its not the SSD or HDD but something else? Anyway, I can still say 306 did me good. 1903 is also problem free for me now. And I hope it stays that way.

I do hope someone from Asus can reply to this thread tho.

New ROGer Array

Maybe my case of success with 1903 and 306 Bios is unprecedented?

For me the Bios 306 solved this restart and getting stuck in the ROG splash screen issue I was having after upgrading to 1903. I wish they have a change log that explains whatever is new with 306.

I'll share in detail whatever happened to mine in hopes this helps anyone.
    I have the Samsung SSD 256 gb and HGST 1TB. Both from when I got my GL502VS. Did not do any upgrade for hardware.
    I did have problems updating to window 1903 way back May or June. It successfully installed by caused my wifi to have issues which made me roll back to 1803. From there I ignored the update until early this week when it can not be ignored any longer. Windows was forcing me to update by downloading and automatically installing everytime I get internet connection. Had problems updating since it always get stuck. I ended up using Windows media creation tool and boot up from the usb to install fresh the 1903 windows. Apparently, fresh install lets me keep windows.old so I can still revert back. After successfully installing 1903, I had problems where it freezes during reboot. That's when I explored updating to BIOS 306. Reading thru all these posts got me worried but tried my luck and found success. Maybe its not the SSD or HDD but something else? Anyway, I can still say 306 did me good. 1903 is also problem free for me now. And I hope it stays that way.

I do hope someone from Asus can reply to this thread tho.
    From more research I've done and also talking with Windows and Samsung support it seems the issue is specifically when you have a SATA SSD and more specifically Samsung in the secondary hard drive slot for some odd reason. Ive submitted a ticket to ASUS and they elevated it to their techs so I hope to hear from them in a couple of days. I wonder if the creator of this thread ever solved it. And yes it would be really nice to hear from ASUS seeing as this is not an isolated incident.*

New ROGer Array

The response I got from ASUS support is that there is no information on when an update might be available.

New ROGer Array

I've fixed the issue. Delete ASUS Live Updater this is whats pushing the BIOS update not Windows, for some reason its being activated automatically. Once thats done remove your SATA SSD during the update anyway, I sitll had some issues updating. But once this was done I updated and it did not force me to update the BIOS as well. Hope this works for others. I am now using windows 1903 with my Samsung EVO installed in the secondary port. Windows and/or ASUS kind of suck for over lookign this.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Narkanin View Post
    I've fixed the issue. Delete ASUS Live Updater this is whats pushing the BIOS update not Windows, for some reason its being activated automatically. Once thats done remove your SATA SSD during the update anyway, I sitll had some issues updating. But once this was done I updated and it did not force me to update the BIOS as well. Hope this works for others. I am now using windows 1903 with my Samsung EVO installed in the secondary port. Windows and/or ASUS kind of suck for over lookign this.
    I have trouble following the line of thought of your post. Have you updated successfully to BIOS 306 and are using both (NVME & SATA) drives? You have installed W10 1903 on the SATA (Samsung EVO) and not on the NVME drive?

Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast