cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WS X299 Sage 10G - Memory issue with BIOS 1001

vinceX
Level 8
A few days ago a new BIOS was released for the WS X299 Sage. After updating to this BIOS, I noticed a massive performance drop in every task, mostly related to memory.

CPU: Intel i9-9960X
Memory: F4-4000C18Q2-64GTZKK

• Flashed BIOS from EZ Flash 3 Utility.
  • Re-Flashed BIOS using Asus Flashback.
  • Confirmed that the BIOS settings are the same between BIOS versions (entered them manually and re-checked twice).
  • Ran AIDA64 Extreme memory benchmarks, it's slow enough that it doesn't finish without locking up the system.
  • Ran Ram Test and confirmed drop in performance (from ~260MB/s to ~30MB/s).

At this point, I reverted to the old BIOS version and I can confirm things are working properly now. I wanted though to report this so someone from Asus technical team might be able to take a look and make sure it doesn't happen for others as well.
24 REPLIES 24

vmanuelgm
Level 11
vinceX wrote:
A few days ago a new BIOS was released for the WS X299 Sage. After updating to this BIOS, I noticed a massive performance drop in every task, mostly related to memory.

CPU: Intel i9-9960X
Memory: F4-4000C18Q2-64GTZKK

• Flashed BIOS from EZ Flash 3 Utility.
  • Re-Flashed BIOS using Asus Flashback.
  • Confirmed that the BIOS settings are the same between BIOS versions (entered them manually and re-checked twice).
  • Ran AIDA64 Extreme memory benchmarks, it's slow enough that it doesn't finish without locking up the system.
  • Ran Ram Test and confirmed drop in performance (from ~260MB/s to ~30MB/s).

At this point, I reverted to the old BIOS version and I can confirm things are working properly now. I wanted though to report this so someone from Asus technical team might be able to take a look and make sure it doesn't happen for others as well.

Have u checked quad channel was enabled???
Asus x670e Hero, 7950x, TG 7000, Master 4090, 970 PRO, 860 EVO, Intel 750,
SN850, SN750, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, Pioneer S12U
EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC, Acer Predator x35, Philips OLED

I can confirm this on my WS-X299-PRO, with 1001 my Performance is complete broken ( only 800 points cinebench ) and slow boot etc.
After i enable XMP the performance is almost back to normal in cinebench but in games like Apex i have only 20-30 FPS
Tested this 2-3 times

I talked with the Support but they could give me no answer :mad:.

Flashed 0905 and performance etc. is back to normal and everything fine.

CPU: i7-7820x
RAM: 4x Kingston HyperX KHX3200C16D4/4GX
Quad channel enabled on 0905 and 1001

Couldn't edit my Post again, (access denied), this forum is also broken and the captcha everytime is terribly

-about the bug
Tested this 2-3 times and couldn't find the bug that's causing it or a workaround.
But im Pretty sure this have to do with the RAM because XMP will increase the performance a lot but in game performance is still very low

I have the same issue after upgraded to 1001. I make contact with ASUS seems they stilling addressing the issue.
I disable every Overclock/Turbo settings in BIOS still no help.
I downgrade to 0905 using AFUDOS and everything back to normal.

CPU: i9-7920X
Memory: KCP424ND8/16

I simple use ASUS Flash back, is much easier and faster

About the bug with 1001, core clock are also the same.
Basically everything is the same except the performance

Not sure why ASUS dit not noticed it, the BIOS is already 2 Month old but uploaded and updated to the page one week ago

fma965
Level 7
For whats it's worth i have just been speaking with Asus over the past week.

They sent me a replacement motherboard. obviously this didn't fix the issue.

Hi,

I have done further testing and it seems all the issues i have been having with both this board and the original is due to your buggy 1001 BIOS, when i upgraded to 1002 and back to 0802 i have had no further issues.

I haven't been able to confirm this with my old board but i believe the XMP issues i was having are related to your 1001 bios, 1001 on the new board also results in the same issue further confirming my theory.

I am happy to return the old board however i would like to make it clear that i have no intention of paying for any charges that will arrise from the replacement as although this now seems to not have been a hardware fault at all it was still ASUS's issue due to a unreliable BIOS.

Although this board isn't having the exact same issues as my old board regarding XMP it was still having issues, when i enabled XMP or set the memory timings as per the XMP profile it would cause massive latency in anything RAM intense. i downgrade to 0802 and the issues are no more.

Thanks, Scott.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the information. We have arranged pick up by DHL forwarder. A notification email and label from DHL will be sent to the contact email.

About the problem with bios, I received 2 emails from another customer with the problem on bios 1002, I sent a request to our HQ in Taiwan and they are solving this problem now. I think we can expect a new bios version in the near future.

So looks like they are aware of the issue and resolving it with HQ.

fma965
Level 7
I have a WS X299 Pro not Sage but it's mostly the same.

I receive yesterday a similar email from ASUS

Dear Sir,

I received more email with a bios(1001/2) problem similar to yours, but on different motherboards. I handed them all over to HQ in Taiwan ASUS programmers who should solve this problem.

BIOS 1001 removed from the BIOS Page and new BIOS Version 1102 is out.

but guess what?
The Performance is now even worse, now i have 20FPS in Apex and Memory bandwidth doesn't more exist 😞

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: