cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air cooler for i9-9900k ?

MoonMan2
Level 7
I've never used a liquid cooler, so not comfortable with it.

I'm aware that the i9-9900k processor turbo boosts itself to 4.7Ghz, and I may want to overclock in the future.

Can anyone recommend a good tower cooler, that would cool this chip well? It needs to be less than 150mm in height to fit in my case.
8 REPLIES 8

ninezerofive
Level 10
What's the case your are using, that 150 height clearance limits your choices by quite the margin.

Dark Rock pro doesn't fit, nocotua nh d15 doesnt fit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC-9011075-WW-Windowed-Mid-Tower-Computer/dp/B00RORBQNW/ref=sr_1_1?...

I've given this more thought and decided to go with an aio liquid cooler, the corsair 100i pro to be precise.

No need to worry about 150mm spacing or overheating CPU with that thing - I hope!

Time for me to move on from bulky metal heatsink coolers.

mdzcpa
Level 12
MoonMan2 wrote:
I've never used a liquid cooler, so not comfortable with it.

I'm aware that the i9-9900k processor turbo boosts itself to 4.7Ghz, and I may want to overclock in the future.

Can anyone recommend a good tower cooler, that would cool this chip well? It needs to be less than 150mm in height to fit in my case.

I strongly recommend that you get past your fear of the unknown and look into a quality AIO water cooler. I can understand wanting to stay away from a full custom water cooling set up as that requires some level of comfort with what you're doing, but current AIO coolers are safe and simple to use. You may or may not get any better cpu temps as compared to the top of the line air cooler, but you will enjoy the benefit of not hanging 3.5 pounds of metal off your board and, more importantly, being able to exhaust the heat from the CPU outside of your case. System temps will be better.

Keep in mind AIO coolers are now recommend by both AMD and Intel for their high end chips.

Ran a corsair h115I for years on a 17-7700 Chip. Ran very well for about 2 yrs.
AIO's are great- but you always have to monitor CPU and Water Temps along with toleratinge noise that comes with the intake fans. Over time they tend to build up "Gunk" in the system which starts to degrade performance (along with the possible pump failures).
Switched to a Noctua air (dh15s) cooling fan-
> Temps dropped 10c at sustained load
> Cannot hear it at all

just my 2$

Vlada011
Level 10
Noctua NH-U12A.

BigJohnny
Level 13
While I prefer custom loops you can get your feet wet with a 240 or 280 depending on two top fans. Pretty much plug and play (maybe a software package to set curves), need to mount fans anyway and installation of an AIO block is actually smaller and easier to deal with mounting as well as not giving everything else around it a beating with the radiant heat a large heat sink would produce.

Depending on what you get the AIO is often less $$ than a good HS and the fans you have to buy no matter which way you go.

This would cool it and give a little OC headroom and is easy on the wallet.

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-HYDRO-Liquid-Cooler-Renewed/dp/B07PCRPX6J/ref=asc_df_B07PCRPX6J/?tag=...

Noctua NH-U12A. Great performance and not too big. (It's on the way... hard to get right now... low stock levels everywhere.)

My new build: (in progress) an Asus MB Hero XI, i9-9900K, EVGA 2080ti-FTW3, Corsair Mem, Seasonic 850 Titanium PS, Noctua case fans (7), all in a Phanteks Evolv X case.

Zka17
Level 16
Dark Rock Pro 4 is amazing! I just used on a Z390-I... it is quiet and very very effective!

But it is taller than 150mm... - if I would be you, I would look for a more appropriate case for this cooler...

Regarding the AIOs, well, I haven't had a good experience with them... they are certainly good for one thing: producing noise. They are similar or weaker than the top air coolers, and they are more expensive. If you want water cooling, then a custom loop is your way...

Again, just my 2 cents...*