cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

r4e, building. long time since last build.

rhozac
Level 9
So im connecting the PSU now, the big one was a no brainer, but then there are these 2 4pin that can be put together for a 8pin, and another non dissasembleable 8pin, that i assume go into the top of the mb. Do i use these or whats the deal?.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R4E, 3960x@stock, 16gb gskill 1600mhz cl9, cooler master cosmos 2, intel 520 60gb ssd, h100.
10 REPLIES 10

houndazs
Level 9
i would use both the 8-pin, and the 4-pin at the top of the mobo. it will allow your system to remain more stable when over clocking. use the "fixed" 8-pin for the 8-pin connector, and the other 2x4-pin for the 4-pin next to the 8pin.

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
-16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
-Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
- 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
- XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
-3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
- CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
- Logitech G500 Mouse

thanks for that prompt answer!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R4E, 3960x@stock, 16gb gskill 1600mhz cl9, cooler master cosmos 2, intel 520 60gb ssd, h100.

houndazs
Level 9
here all day! no problem!

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

Cool. so im installing the h100 at top, there are 3 connections im worried about that wont be reachable after its installed, so i need to decide / connect them beforehand.

first one is OT header, ROG connect switch (29 on the manual), this just seems to be an extention so that you could have a rog connect switch at the front of the case somewhere if you want to, wont be doing that atm.

second and third one is , opt_fan3 and opt_temp3. followed by cpu_fan. the rest of the top connections i should be able to reach after h100 installation.

So, where would i want to connect the radatior fans to, and or what do i want to use opt_fan3 and cpu_fan for?. Also to what do i connect opt_temp3 to?. thanks.

edit: am i wrong thinking thermal connectors are not included sigh.
edit2: ok so that was just for extra temperture device monitoring can skip that.
so now i just need to decide what i want to connect opt_fan3 and cpu_fan to.

houndazs
Level 9
it doesn't really matter what you connect the fans to, just remember your choice so that you can monitor the fans, and set up the fan profiles in the BIOS, and/or the AI suite. Make sure to connect the H100 "control box" to the CPU_FAN header.

Personally i have a fan controller, and for ~$50.00USD i would recommend one.

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Logitech G500 Mouse

UltraNEO_
Level 11
Go play with some benchmarks 😄

http://unigine.com/products/heaven/download/
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

With the H100, I had some issues with the screws and the mounting plate which is the stock intel bracket with the R4E board using the LGA2011 mount. It didn't go in flush or with ease. I had to bend the 4 mounting clips inwards a bit with some heavy pliers with a cloth so I didn't chip any paint on the clips. Then I had to loosen all 4x H100 mounting screws on the board that the H100 will mount onto, even then I had for apply a bit of force just to get it in and then screw in the thumbscrews that go over the mounting screws which were already loose so there's some play room to get it in and on right. It went in fine once I did the above. A lot of people on the Corsair form had some issues with the mounting of the H100 has the brackets aren't flush on most builds. Some people had Zero issues some had to force it in, some had to do all the above I did to get it to fit.

InnervateD wrote:
With the H100, I had some issues with the screws and the mounting plate which is the stock intel bracket with the R4E board using the LGA2011 mount. It didn't go in flush or with ease. I had to bend the 4 mounting clips inwards a bit with some heavy pliers with a cloth so I didn't chip any paint on the clips. Then I had to loosen all 4x H100 mounting screws on the board that the H100 will mount onto, even then I had for apply a bit of force just to get it in and then screw in the thumbscrews that go over the mounting screws which were already loose so there's some play room to get it in and on right. It went in fine once I did the above. A lot of people on the Corsair form had some issues with the mounting of the H100 has the brackets aren't flush on most builds. Some people had Zero issues some had to force it in, some had to do all the above I did to get it to fit.

Yes i had issues with that aswell, one of the clips would just not go in with the rest, ended up with some minor finger grease on the cooler as i tried to force it on, i then thought id take a closer look at an install video for the h100 again (was accually the h80), and i saw that they didn't install it with the corsair logo ehm straight, like you would think it should be installed, anyway i flipped it around and installed it like they do on the video and it fit just fine. Kind of strange i know but it worked, could just have been a coincidence. One thing i was a little worried about tho was there where no screw | or X on the thumb screws, so i went with max thumb force. Temps seem fine, except one 1 core that always seems alot higher than the lowest temp core, around 9-10 degrees higher approximately 80% of the time. Maybe i need to loosen the cooler apply the pressure more evenly, would i need to clean and put on new TIM?, using the stuff that it came with. And if so what TIM would you recommend?.

When I was installing it yes, turning the H100 waterblock unit 90degrees fit fine. But it cosmetically didn't look right for me I didn't like how the Corsair Logo was on it's side, and I've seen the thing mounted right on a R4E. Regardless with some careful slight tweaking I managed to get the H100 with a little bit of force too to get it on the way I want which is the only thing I cared about. Unit works great. Look at the pics in my work log, by clicking on my signature pic. I'll post some newer pics later with some natural light minus the RED LED lights later this weekend.