ROG Junior Member Array

Is it possible to backup my current BIOS binary?

Hi,

I want to update my BIOS. I know how to do it; however, I would like to keep my current BIOS image so that I could roll back to it. Unfortunately, my motherboard was bought so early that I have so old BIOS that it can't be found on Asus website (the oldest available is still newer than mine).

So, is there any possibility to dump my current BIOS to file?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array geneo PC Specs
    geneo PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X Code
    ProcessorIntel 8086K @ 5.1Ghz
    Memory (part number)32 GB (2x16) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200 MHz CL14 @ 3733 16-16-36
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1070 X 8GB
    Graphics Card #2AMD Radeon WX 7100
    MonitorNEC PA271Q and Dell
    Storage #1Samsung 512 GB 960 Pro
    Storage #21TB 850 x 1 TB 860 EVO RAID 0, 6 TB WDC Black HDD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 Chromax
    CaseFractal Design R4 w/ tempered glass
    Power Supply750W Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
    Keyboard CM Quickfire Rapid TKL
    Mouse G602
    Headset Bose
    Headset/Speakers Vanatoo T1, ML Dynamo 300
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64

No you can't.

However, you can save your current profiles to a USB stick. Then to recover, you can flash the old BIOS then restore the profiles.

One thing you cannot reverse. If the BIOS update included an Intel Management Engine (IME) firmware update, and you flash back to the old BIOS, you will still have the updated IME - it will not revert.

In addition, if you update your BIOS, you will have to manually update any of the BIOS settings you have customized. In order to make sure you do not forget the customizations, you can also save the BIOS profiles as a text file, which will list all of the BIOS settings in human readable form.
    Last edited by geneo; 06-18-2019 at 02:07 AM.

ROG Junior Member Array

Hi @geneo,

Big thanks for the reply! Apart of answering my main question you also taught me about possibility to save settings to txt file. That's nice, because I just wanted to make photos of each BIOS screen

Going back to the topic, it's a bit sad that it's not possible to dump the BIOS binary on Asus motherboards... Ok, it was looong time since I've been updating BIOS last time, but I remember that in 2009 I was updating my Gigabyte motherboard (based on P45 chipset for C2D, with legacy BIOS, no UEFI) and there was such possibility built-in. But nevermind, I will have to accept that So, I'm going to start updating ASAP