cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to backup my current BIOS binary?

mm-kk
Level 7
Hi,

I want to update my BIOS. I know how to do it; however, I would like to keep my current BIOS image so that I could roll back to it. Unfortunately, my motherboard was bought so early that I have so old BIOS that it can't be found on Asus website (the oldest available is still newer than mine).

So, is there any possibility to dump my current BIOS to file?
2 REPLIES 2

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
No you can't.

However, you can save your current profiles to a USB stick. Then to recover, you can flash the old BIOS then restore the profiles.

One thing you cannot reverse. If the BIOS update included an Intel Management Engine (IME) firmware update, and you flash back to the old BIOS, you will still have the updated IME - it will not revert.

In addition, if you update your BIOS, you will have to manually update any of the BIOS settings you have customized. In order to make sure you do not forget the customizations, you can also save the BIOS profiles as a text file, which will list all of the BIOS settings in human readable form.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

mm-kk
Level 7
Hi @geneo,

Big thanks for the reply! Apart of answering my main question you also taught me about possibility to save settings to txt file. That's nice, because I just wanted to make photos of each BIOS screen 😉

Going back to the topic, it's a bit sad that it's not possible to dump the BIOS binary on Asus motherboards... Ok, it was looong time since I've been updating BIOS last time, but I remember that in 2009 I was updating my Gigabyte motherboard (based on P45 chipset for C2D, with legacy BIOS, no UEFI) and there was such possibility built-in. But nevermind, I will have to accept that 😉 So, I'm going to start updating ASAP 🙂