cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS Bricked via Windows 10 Bios 306 update

Ozy311
Level 7
My laptop took a VERY unexpected bios update via windows 10 update last night. *

First question... WHY?!?! Why would you EVER push a BIOS update this way?

*I wasn't able to jump on it fast enough to cancel it. After the update the system rebooted and performed the typical DOS flash. *It then rebooted and hung on the splash screen. *I was unable to get into the BIOS or boot. *The system was frozen on this splash screen.

80691 *

I then read an adjacent post on this forum about the SSD issue. * This laptop has a M.2 boot and a 2TB Samsung Pro SSD in the 2.5" slot. * I removed both devices, and it posted! * I then added back the M.2, and again it booted fine into windows. *As soon as I re-attach my SATA SSD, the laptop does not boot. * I tried turning off S.M.A.R.T., no go. *I tried turning off SecureBoot, no go either. * So I have now temporarily removed the SSD to get back into Windows. * I attempted to revert the bios to v302, which is 2 years old, and I cannot via the Bios Flasher or WinFlash. *80692

Now what?!

How DARE Asus push a BIOS update without option or warning via Windows 10 update, and NOT LET US REVERT?!

What am I to do now? *I have an open ticket with Asus support claiming they will call me tomorrow about it.

Any ideas from anyone who has gotten around this issue? *

:mad:

PS For some reason this forum is inserting asterisks between my sentences, and I don't know why... *
15 REPLIES 15

Ozy311
Level 7
I see an adjacent thread has a force flash reply. *I am going to try that now, but I hope that if this works I can stop Windows from pushing 306 again via updates.

BIOS revert to v302 (with winflash.exe /nodate) and everything is working like before Thanks ASUS to post buggy BIOSes 😕

AFRIKA
Level 7
that thread also has options to stop windows from reinstalling the bios update, send an email to asus support sharing your problem, thats the only way they remove the bios update from the webpage and windows update. already did that for my model, GL702VM.

AFRIKA wrote:
that thread also has options to stop windows from reinstalling the bios update, send an email to asus support sharing your problem, thats the only way they remove the bios update from the webpage and windows update. already did that for my model, GL702VM.

I assume this is the page?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-rei...

I'm running 1903 and the update history is blank and the troubleshooting tool only shows a few 1903 related updates. I was able to flash back to 302 using /nodate, but it immediately forced 306 again on next boot. I let it update back to 306 again hoping that would add it to update history, but it isn't there. Update history is blank.

Hmm, any thoughts? Worst case I can revert to 1809 as I haven't purged the previous version yet. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

There is still no way to block it, so I simply paused updates for 35 days hoping ASUS will fix this crap. **

Ozy311
Level 7
I reverted to 1809, and I now see the Firmware update install history entry. *Obviously there is no option to uninstall it, but there also is no way to hide it. *If I run the MS tool you referred to, it also sees nothing. * I'm going to revert to v302 bios while in Windows 1809 to see if I can block it prior to application.

80694*

astrojeet
Level 7
I got the update as well. It went through smoothly and everything is working fine. Something must have gone wrong on your end.

Hi Ozy, I've just had a similar issue. Please see my thread which may be of help as the issue is now resolved - https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?111436-GL502VSK-Bricked-BIOS-Update

I didn't need to go down the road of removing either of the SSD's but hopefully it can help get your issue resolved. I also made a comment on the thread that it is bizarre that BIOS updates are being pushed out this way via WIndows Updates. And to start the flash process without any warning at all.........

astrojeet wrote:
I got the update as well. It went through smoothly and everything is working fine. Something must have gone wrong on your end.

That's not an isolated case. Many users reported problems with those bios updates on different asus laptop models. Some stuck on the ROG logo, others completely bricked. Asus removed the bios update from their page for some laptop models because it is broken and causing issues.
I just blocked this particular update and I keep a bios flash dump I made using a flash programmer. Better safe than sorry.

astrojeet wrote:

obviously this bios are ****ed, consider yourself lucky.