ROG Member Array

Rog strix hero 2 gl504gm dual vs single channel ram

Hi all

I've just got the gl504gm laptop and it came with a single 16gb stick of ram. I feel the laptop is under performing and the fact it's running single channel ram is alarming. Will I benefit in gaming adding another 16gb stick to make it run in dual channel ?

I've had a gtx 1060 in a pc and company of heroes 2 at 1080p on high settings made way over 60 fps yet this laptop struggles to maintain this. Bit poo since it has a 144hz display

Please advise.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600
    Memory (part number)16GB DDR4
    Graphics Card #1GTX980
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Desktop isn't comparable due to the differences in power and cooling. A laptop will always be weaker.

That said, sure you'd probably get a bit of a boost from dual channel memory. Just make sure it matches and buy from somewhere you can return just in case. The best bet it is to just buy a matched pair of sticks and replace what you have.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array FULLMETALJACKET7's Avatar

It does make a difference but it's not gonna be twice as fast, and it really depends on what games you're running.
    Also, undervolt your gpu. It will run cooler and faster if you do it right. Takes some time, a lot of trial and error and patience but it's worth it.

ROG Member Array

Thanks guys, been trying to reply but kept getting a message saying I need to add 3 characters.

I ordered another stick from mr memory and so far so good.

I've been reading about throttling and high temps on this so I installed cinebench and ran some back to back runs and cpu ran at full speed everytime and never went over 75 degrees so no throttling occurred at all. I've read of this model hitting early 90s .. maybe I won the silicone lottery ?

Not stressed the gpu yet, what's the throttle temp on that ?

Cheers

Temperatures will be quite a bit higher than that when gaming, since you would also be putting some stress on the GPU. One big heatsink has to take care of both cpu and gpu, so it's normal to see the cpu temps going up quite high on real world scenarios.

Don't worry about it unless it's hitting high 90s or it's throttling too much. GPU is fine up to about 80c. After that you will see some throttling due to how gpu boost works.

ROG Member Array

I had a proper play yesterday. Tweaked the voltages and got the cpu undervolted by 115vm and runs solid and cooler.

Also had a play with the gpu, got that undervolted and runs coer too. Managed to get a higher score in benchmarks too. Think it's running sweet now.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Shaw View Post
    I had a proper play yesterday. Tweaked the voltages and got the cpu undervolted by 115vm and runs solid and cooler.

Also had a play with the gpu, got that undervolted and runs coer too. Managed to get a higher score in benchmarks too. Think it's running sweet now.
    GPU undervolting on laptops is a must. Free performance gains, can't go wrong with that. Mine only boosted to around 1550mhz/~88C stock. After a lot of fiddling with the voltage curve I got it to boost to 1810mhz/~77C. Better performance at a lower temperature.