cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog strix hero 2 gl504gm dual vs single channel ram

Daniel_Shaw
Level 10
Hi all

I've just got the gl504gm laptop and it came with a single 16gb stick of ram. I feel the laptop is under performing and the fact it's running single channel ram is alarming. Will I benefit in gaming adding another 16gb stick to make it run in dual channel ?

I've had a gtx 1060 in a pc and company of heroes 2 at 1080p on high settings made way over 60 fps yet this laptop struggles to maintain this. Bit poo since it has a 144hz display

Please advise.
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
Desktop isn't comparable due to the differences in power and cooling. A laptop will always be weaker.

That said, sure you'd probably get a bit of a boost from dual channel memory. Just make sure it matches and buy from somewhere you can return just in case. The best bet it is to just buy a matched pair of sticks and replace what you have.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
It does make a difference but it's not gonna be twice as fast, and it really depends on what games you're running.
Also, undervolt your gpu. It will run cooler and faster if you do it right. Takes some time, a lot of trial and error and patience but it's worth it.

Daniel_Shaw
Level 10
Thanks guys, been trying to reply but kept getting a message saying I need to add 3 characters.

I ordered another stick from mr memory and so far so good.

I've been reading about throttling and high temps on this so I installed cinebench and ran some back to back runs and cpu ran at full speed everytime and never went over 75 degrees so no throttling occurred at all. I've read of this model hitting early 90s .. maybe I won the silicone lottery ?

Not stressed the gpu yet, what's the throttle temp on that ?

Cheers

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Temperatures will be quite a bit higher than that when gaming, since you would also be putting some stress on the GPU. One big heatsink has to take care of both cpu and gpu, so it's normal to see the cpu temps going up quite high on real world scenarios.

Don't worry about it unless it's hitting high 90s or it's throttling too much. GPU is fine up to about 80c. After that you will see some throttling due to how gpu boost works.

Daniel_Shaw
Level 10
I had a proper play yesterday. Tweaked the voltages and got the cpu undervolted by 115vm and runs solid and cooler.

Also had a play with the gpu, got that undervolted and runs coer too. Managed to get a higher score in benchmarks too. Think it's running sweet now.

Daniel Shaw wrote:
I had a proper play yesterday. Tweaked the voltages and got the cpu undervolted by 115vm and runs solid and cooler.

Also had a play with the gpu, got that undervolted and runs coer too. Managed to get a higher score in benchmarks too. Think it's running sweet now.

GPU undervolting on laptops is a must. Free performance gains, can't go wrong with that. Mine only boosted to around 1550mhz/~88C stock. After a lot of fiddling with the voltage curve I got it to boost to 1810mhz/~77C. Better performance at a lower temperature.