Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array hexaae PC Specs
    hexaae PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS Gaming Laptop GL703GS
    MotherboardIntel HM370 Cannon Lake-H
    Processori7-8750H
    Memory (part number)32GB DDR4 @2666MHz (dual-channel)
    Graphics Card #1NVidia GTX 1070 8GB
    Monitor1080p 144Hz 17" G-Sync AUO B173HAN03.2
    Storage #11TB SSD Crucial MX300
    Storage #2NVMe Samsung PM916
    Mouse ROG Strix Carry Wireless-BT mouse
    Mouse Pad MouseRug collection
    Headset/Speakers Realtek HD (ALC295)
    OS Windows 10 PRO x64
    Accessory #1 XBox One Bluetooth gamepad
    Accessory #2 Hori Fighting Stick Mini
    Accessory #3 4K Blu-Ray UHD USB Archgon Star

Quote Originally Posted by hiamp01 View Post
    I have a gl703gs, it has thermalthrottling and I repaste with thermal past Kryonaut and thermalpads 0.5 mm gelid extreme, for 40 minutes it was awesome 70°-75° in game both gpu-cpu, then the cpu temps grew gradually till 97°!!, I read this post and its very possible the relation of temps and termal pads, its transfer a lot of heat of vrms to the pipes.
    but I don understand why the gpu max temp it's only 74° (it a good temp)

Now Im wating a k5 pro and make test
    How was your experience with K5 Pro?

New ROGer Array

K5 Pro Video

Hi there. i found this...

https://youtu.be/ifASd9aMFI0

they explain how to use and the results

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
    Are you sure of this theory? It makes sense but… Did you test yourself different pads with different W/mK?
    No. This theory is not correct.
    First of all if you send more heat to the heatsink it will just make the fan go faster in order to keep temperature stable.
    Only way to remove heat from laptop is the heatsink, suggesting keeping VRAM warmer in order to have cooler heatsink is very strange claim.
    Heatsink is there to keep all components cooler... Not itself.... Yes VRAM can work quite warm but lower temperature will give more FPS.
    It is important to keep them cooler. For me K5 PRO is by far the best solution.
    You mention that it gets dry but I have one system running for 6 years now and I don't even have to add new K5 every time I clean the heatsink.
    I just reuse what is already there because it is like new.

New ROGer Array

Asus g75v will operate almost 20 degrees cooler ...

and another one video
    Fresh ... heeh

https://youtu.be/tVJpRZ1QnLc

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array hexaae PC Specs
    hexaae PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS Gaming Laptop GL703GS
    MotherboardIntel HM370 Cannon Lake-H
    Processori7-8750H
    Memory (part number)32GB DDR4 @2666MHz (dual-channel)
    Graphics Card #1NVidia GTX 1070 8GB
    Monitor1080p 144Hz 17" G-Sync AUO B173HAN03.2
    Storage #11TB SSD Crucial MX300
    Storage #2NVMe Samsung PM916
    Mouse ROG Strix Carry Wireless-BT mouse
    Mouse Pad MouseRug collection
    Headset/Speakers Realtek HD (ALC295)
    OS Windows 10 PRO x64
    Accessory #1 XBox One Bluetooth gamepad
    Accessory #2 Hori Fighting Stick Mini
    Accessory #3 4K Blu-Ray UHD USB Archgon Star

Quote Originally Posted by TaitOgr View Post
    For me K5 PRO is by far the best solution.
    You mention that it gets dry but I have one system running for 6 years now and I don't even have to add new K5 every time I clean the heatsink.
    I just reuse what is already there because it is like new.
    Yes I do not recommend K5 Pro. I tested many combos of pads from different brands and W/mK, 5 different thermal pastes (including Gelid GC Extreme, NT-H2, MX4 etc.). This is the result of K5 on another GL703GS after 3 months:

Saying it gets "dry" maybe is not the correct term since it's actually still viscous white silicone-like, but as you can see there are holes and cracks. No good.
    Some think it's like the white factory paste from ASUS, but it's not, and the ASUS one won't degrade like this.

Gelid GC Extreme for CPU/GPU. Replaced with 0.5mm >4 W/mK pads on VRAM, and 1mm 6 W/mK pads on the VRMs above CPU (those shiny silver Inductors chokes + the small black MOSFETs stripe behind): so far the BEST temps ever had and the most reliable and stable over time benchmarks in every AAA game* without micro-stuttering anymore due to randomly throttling VRMs, usually degrading performance after some months with K5.
    Another interesting thing FYI: I tested also different pads with different W/mK up to Gelid ones (12 W/mK) and didn't make a difference compared to 4-6 W/mK.

CPU keeping 3.8GHz during whole test (that's why 96°C max), Balanced fan mode, and a good bench result for i7-8750h (sometimes reached ~1300), just to prove I'm not saying BS.

*AAA games
    Not lightweight engines like CODs or Fortnite and similar most people play that easily give low temps anyway... but demanding engines like those of Rise/Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Lords of the Fallen, Witcher 3, Hitman 2, Red Dead Redemption 2 etc.
    Last edited by hexaae; 08-18-2020 at 02:41 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
    Yes I do not recommend K5 Pro. I tested many combos of pads from different brands and W/mK, 5 different thermal pastes (including Gelid GC Extreme, NT-H2, MX4 etc.). This is the result of K5 on another GL703GS after 3 months:

Saying it gets "dry" maybe is not the correct term since it's actually still viscous white silicone-like, but as you can see there are holes and cracks. No good.
    Some think it's like the white factory paste from ASUS, but it's not, and the ASUS one won't degrade like this.

Gelid GC Extreme for CPU/GPU. Replaced with 0.5mm >4 W/mK pads on VRAM, and 1mm 6 W/mK pads on the VRMs above CPU (those shiny silver Inductors chokes + the small black MOSFETs stripe behind): so far the BEST temps ever had and the most reliable and stable over time benchmarks in every AAA game* without micro-stuttering anymore due to randomly throttling VRMs, usually degrading performance after some months with K5.
    Another interesting thing FYI: I tested also different pads with different W/mK up to Gelid ones (12 W/mK) and didn't make a difference compared to 4-6 W/mK.

CPU keeping 3.8GHz during whole test (that's why 96°C max), Balanced fan mode, and a good bench result for i7-8750h (sometimes reached ~1300), just to prove I'm not saying BS.

*AAA games
    Not lightweight engines like CODs or Fortnite and similar most people play that easily give low temps anyway... but demanding engines like those of Rise/Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Lords of the Fallen, Witcher 3, Hitman 2, Red Dead Redemption 2 etc.
    I use k5 pro since it solves the issues with thermal pads not making contact when they are too small or lifting the heatsink when they are too big(it happens when 0.5mm are too small but 1mm are too big...).

When i saw your post i went ahead and disassembled my gpu(gigabyte 1070 g1 gaming) that had k5 pro on the ram chips and it was cracked also. It seems that it happens when the distance is less than 0.5mm because i´ve disassembled my laptop(lenovo legion y530-1060) after a year and it looked like a thermal pad, not sticky or anything.

Now, the million dollar question is: was the paste like that before you(and me) removed the heatsink or did they form because of the vaccum that sucks the paste when we remove the heatsink? Was some paste stucked on the components? Or was everything on the heatsink? I usually twist the heatsink a lot to release it, sincethe thermal paste and the k5 pro stick a lot. Maybe that created the cracks? Don´t know.

I´m making a small test to check, where i put k5 pro between 2 pieces of transparent plastic and i will see if it forms cracks, in about a year or so, since i cannot do thermal cycling with plastic. I´m using 2 pieces of plastic with 2 cooper shims on each side to check the paste behaviour with a distance of 1,5mm and 2 pieces of plastic with only the paste between them , to check what happens with less than 0,5mm gap.

The bubbles that you have may be from air bubbles trapped when you put the paste. Hopefully... If not, the paste is losing silicone and creating voids. If you notice the paste has silicone bleed, like themal pads. And the cracks may be because silicone bleed also. But there´s no easy way to know...

The suttering may be caused because silicone pastes pump out, and they will lose performance fast, specially on laptops. Like, kryonaut will lose performance on 4 or 5 months. From my testing it will lose 5ºC. I only use non silicone pastes, like hydronaut or arctic silver 5. There´s also ic diamond and cooler master master gel maker.(if you want to check the components on thermal pastes, google the name and msds(material safety datasheet)).

You can check this video on youtube about pump out effect: "Der8auer Deep-Dives on Thermal Paste: Misconceptions, Curing, & More | LTX 2019", from 8:25.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 20200905_001804.jpg  

20200904_204132.jpg  

20200904_204136.jpg  

New ROGer Array

Good Morning,

Six months ago I used the K5 Pro on my GX701 with VRAM, coils and power transistors. The "gap" distance between VRAM and the heat sink is: 0MM - 0.5MM.

A few days ago, i was doing a cooling system maintenance and i confirm - small holes in the structure of the K5 Pro. I didn't notice any cracks like in the photos of other users. The consistency itself has hardened, but still has the consistency of silicone. Only little holes left.

If holes are formed from air bubbles, I thought to put K5 Pro in a syringe and apply. The use of a syringe should eliminate the amount of air in the paste to some extent.

I will probably conduct a similar experiment using a glass plate and a copper plate. Speeding up the process with high temperatures - HotAir 120 ° C or more. Why is this happening? There may be several reasons for this:

- when removing the heat sink, holes are made (pump out effect, vacuum effect) that were not there before the removal
    - arise from the remaining air bubbles in the paste
    - the structure of the K5 Pro changes over time (the silicone separates from the structure)

In my case, all the paste was left on the heat sink (it stuck), and the heat sink itself quite easily peeled off. In my opinion, the consistency of the K5 Pro was too thick to be caused by the pump out effect or vacuum effect. Why was the paste on the heat sink and not on the elements on the mainboard (VRAM, transistors)? Maybe because the temperature on these electronic circuits is higher than on the top of the heat sink?

Best regards
    Last edited by Jaroslaw_0; 09-09-2020 at 09:22 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Jaroslaw_0 View Post
    Good Morning,

Six months ago I used the K5 Pro on my GX701 with VRAM, coils and power transistors. The "gap" distance between VRAM and the heat sink is: 0MM - 0.5MM.

A few days ago, i was doing a cooling system maintenance and i confirm - small holes in the structure of the K5 Pro. I didn't notice any cracks like in the photos of other users. The consistency itself has hardened, but still has the consistency of silicone. Only little holes left.

If holes are formed from air bubbles, I thought to put K5 Pro in a syringe and apply. The use of a syringe should eliminate the amount of air in the paste to some extent.

I will probably conduct a similar experiment using a glass plate and a copper plate. Speeding up the process with high temperatures - HotAir 120 ° C or more. Why is this happening? There may be several reasons for this:

- when removing the heat sink, holes are made (pump out effect, vacuum effect) that were not there before the removal
    - arise from the remaining air bubbles in the paste
    - the structure of the K5 Pro changes over time (the silicone separates from the structure)

In my case, all the paste was left on the heat sink (it stuck), and the heat sink itself quite easily peeled off. In my opinion, the consistency of the K5 Pro was too thick to be caused by the pump out effect or vacuum effect. Why was the paste on the heat sink and not on the elements on the mainboard (VRAM, transistors)? Maybe because the temperature on these electronic circuits is higher than on the top of the heat sink?

Best regards

I´m thinking that the holes are caused by the silicone bleed. I have the paste on my laptop(lenovo y530 - 1060) and every 2 months or so i open the laptop, and there´s always some liquid transparent fluid(silicone) under the heatsink. The silicone comes from the paste and must leave some voids, that are noticible more if the amount of paste applied is too thin.

I´m making another test with cooper shims and plastic, but on one of the sides i´m using filter paper, to speed up the silicone bleed. I will post the results here after a while. The 2 pictures were taken less than 48 hours apart and you can already see silicone on the filter paper.

If this paste degrades this quickly, then it´s better to choose another paste, like TG PP 10 or Laird TPutty 502. Better yet, laird tputty 607. The problem with this pastes is that you can only buy them on mouser or digikey, and sometimes there are problems with import customs... But i´ve not tested them yet, but i´ve already ordered tputty 502 from mouser. It may be a better tested than a paste made by a small computer repair shop in Greece...
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 20200908_202729.jpg  

20200909_230814.jpg  

Last edited by Ja_aborrece; 09-09-2020 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Grammar errors

New ROGer Array

I searched for a long time and found probably the perfect solution, preparation for this:

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...139-ND/9350028

Datasheet:

http://vendor.parker.com/852568C80043FA7A/468ea5de5ac341d385257d39005641c7/712F3C1EACC50A1885257FE1004B4ED7/$FILE/THERM-A-GAP%20TC50.pdf

It is expensive, but what to do. The shipment itself is expensive too - $20 to my country. If you make purchases for at least $50 in the digikey store - delivery is free. And so I want to do - by buying other necessary products.

Laird TPutty 502
    Laird TPutty 607

Do you know these products? The first one is not available in the store. The second is horrendously expensive. The LAIRD company is known all over the world for their conductive products. Their products are very expensive. I was not satisfied with this company's thermopads. Does TPutty have adequate density and adhesion? Thanks for the photos and I'm looking forward to the next ones.
    Last edited by Jaroslaw_0; 09-10-2020 at 07:21 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast