cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GW K5-Pro Thermal Paste

TX2000
Level 8
I went ahead and bought K5-Pro for my laptop.
it comes with a stick to apply so i went and took a syringe and filled it up . (is a lot easier that way)

so far so good still testing

good temps so far
23 REPLIES 23

hexaae
Level 12
I think K5 Pro is still the best option with these ASUS thin laptops... Pads (even the good ones, and with every thickness between 0.5-1.5mm) can cause troubles because surfaces (both VRM chips + heatpipe) are not perfectly smooth and irregular. Many users complained of strange issues after using pads: stuttering even with good temps, strange variable temps for CPU/GPU… Only a very few had success (or maybe they just stopped writing in forums too early to report minor issues later). All in all using a thermal paste like K5 Pro grants best heat spreading, despite not exceptional W/mK (which seems less important though).
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

TX2000
Level 8
Yes i had i had pads that were higher on temp transfer but the heatsink is so uneven and you end up putting double on some parts and causing trouble on others.

it was working fine but now it runs alot cooler and i got higher FPS. Maybe the vrms werent transfer heat that much idk.
Also i used cool laboratories liquid metal. I just reapplied again because i removed the heatsink. And it it was still in place.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
The problem with high performance pads are not the thickness, but well, their performance compared to what comes stock from the factory, k5-pro.

By using high performance thermal pads you're dumping even more heat into an already saturated heatsink. VRMs don't need to be cooled as much as CPUs and GPUs do. They are usually rated to 120c or more and are probably working at around 90c from the factory, which is totally fine. You will gain literally nothing by lowering those temps.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
The problem with high performance pads are not the thickness, but well, their performance compared to what comes stock from the factory, k5-pro.

By using high performance thermal pads you're dumping even more heat into an already saturated heatsink. VRMs don't need to be cooled as much as CPUs and GPUs do. They are usually rated to 120c or more and are probably working at around 90c from the factory, which is totally fine. You will gain literally nothing by lowering those temps.

Are you sure of this theory? It makes sense but… Did you test yourself different pads with different W/mK?
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae wrote:
Are you sure of this theory? It makes sense but… Did you test yourself different pads with different W/mK?

No. This theory is not correct.
First of all if you send more heat to the heatsink it will just make the fan go faster in order to keep temperature stable.
Only way to remove heat from laptop is the heatsink, suggesting keeping VRAM warmer in order to have cooler heatsink is very strange claim.
Heatsink is there to keep all components cooler... Not itself.... Yes VRAM can work quite warm but lower temperature will give more FPS.
It is important to keep them cooler. For me K5 PRO is by far the best solution.
You mention that it gets dry but I have one system running for 6 years now and I don't even have to add new K5 every time I clean the heatsink.
I just reuse what is already there because it is like new.

and another one video 🙂
Fresh ... heeh

https://youtu.be/tVJpRZ1QnLc

TaitOgr wrote:
For me K5 PRO is by far the best solution.
You mention that it gets dry but I have one system running for 6 years now and I don't even have to add new K5 every time I clean the heatsink.
I just reuse what is already there because it is like new.

Yes I do not recommend K5 Pro. I tested many combos of pads from different brands and W/mK, 5 different thermal pastes (including Gelid GC Extreme, NT-H2, MX4 etc.). This is the result of K5 on another GL703GS after 3 months:

Saying it gets "dry" maybe is not the correct term since it's actually still viscous white silicone-like, but as you can see there are holes and cracks. No good.
Some think it's like the white factory paste from ASUS, but it's not, and the ASUS one won't degrade like this.

Gelid GC Extreme for CPU/GPU. Replaced with 0.5mm >4 W/mK pads on VRAM, and 1mm 6 W/mK pads on the VRMs above CPU (those shiny silver Inductors chokes + the small black MOSFETs stripe behind): so far the BEST temps ever had and the most reliable and stable over time benchmarks in every AAA game* without micro-stuttering anymore due to randomly throttling VRMs, usually degrading performance after some months with K5.
Another interesting thing FYI: I tested also different pads with different W/mK up to Gelid ones (12 W/mK) and didn't make a difference compared to 4-6 W/mK.

CPU keeping 3.8GHz during whole test (that's why 96°C max), Balanced fan mode, and a good bench result for i7-8750h (sometimes reached ~1300), just to prove I'm not saying BS.

*AAA games
Not lightweight engines like CODs or Fortnite and similar most people play that easily give low temps anyway... but demanding engines like those of Rise/Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Lords of the Fallen, Witcher 3, Hitman 2, Red Dead Redemption 2 etc.
--

hexaae wrote:
Yes I do not recommend K5 Pro. I tested many combos of pads from different brands and W/mK, 5 different thermal pastes (including Gelid GC Extreme, NT-H2, MX4 etc.). This is the result of K5 on another GL703GS after 3 months:

Saying it gets "dry" maybe is not the correct term since it's actually still viscous white silicone-like, but as you can see there are holes and cracks. No good.
Some think it's like the white factory paste from ASUS, but it's not, and the ASUS one won't degrade like this.

Gelid GC Extreme for CPU/GPU. Replaced with 0.5mm >4 W/mK pads on VRAM, and 1mm 6 W/mK pads on the VRMs above CPU (those shiny silver Inductors chokes + the small black MOSFETs stripe behind): so far the BEST temps ever had and the most reliable and stable over time benchmarks in every AAA game* without micro-stuttering anymore due to randomly throttling VRMs, usually degrading performance after some months with K5.
Another interesting thing FYI: I tested also different pads with different W/mK up to Gelid ones (12 W/mK) and didn't make a difference compared to 4-6 W/mK.

CPU keeping 3.8GHz during whole test (that's why 96°C max), Balanced fan mode, and a good bench result for i7-8750h (sometimes reached ~1300), just to prove I'm not saying BS.

*AAA games
Not lightweight engines like CODs or Fortnite and similar most people play that easily give low temps anyway... but demanding engines like those of Rise/Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Lords of the Fallen, Witcher 3, Hitman 2, Red Dead Redemption 2 etc.

I use k5 pro since it solves the issues with thermal pads not making contact when they are too small or lifting the heatsink when they are too big(it happens when 0.5mm are too small but 1mm are too big...).

When i saw your post i went ahead and disassembled my gpu(gigabyte 1070 g1 gaming) that had k5 pro on the ram chips and it was cracked also. It seems that it happens when the distance is less than 0.5mm because i´ve disassembled my laptop(lenovo legion y530-1060) after a year and it looked like a thermal pad, not sticky or anything.

Now, the million dollar question is: was the paste like that before you(and me) removed the heatsink or did they form because of the vaccum that sucks the paste when we remove the heatsink? Was some paste stucked on the components? Or was everything on the heatsink? I usually twist the heatsink a lot to release it, sincethe thermal paste and the k5 pro stick a lot. Maybe that created the cracks? Don´t know.

I´m making a small test to check, where i put k5 pro between 2 pieces of transparent plastic and i will see if it forms cracks, in about a year or so, since i cannot do thermal cycling with plastic. I´m using 2 pieces of plastic with 2 cooper shims on each side to check the paste behaviour with a distance of 1,5mm and 2 pieces of plastic with only the paste between them , to check what happens with less than 0,5mm gap.

The bubbles that you have may be from air bubbles trapped when you put the paste. Hopefully... If not, the paste is losing silicone and creating voids. If you notice the paste has silicone bleed, like themal pads. And the cracks may be because silicone bleed also. But there´s no easy way to know...

The suttering may be caused because silicone pastes pump out, and they will lose performance fast, specially on laptops. Like, kryonaut will lose performance on 4 or 5 months. From my testing it will lose 5ºC. I only use non silicone pastes, like hydronaut or arctic silver 5. There´s also ic diamond and cooler master master gel maker.(if you want to check the components on thermal pastes, google the name and msds(material safety datasheet)).

You can check this video on youtube about pump out effect: "Der8auer Deep-Dives on Thermal Paste: Misconceptions, Curing, & More | LTX 2019", from 8:25.