cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VII 2 minutes from power on to Windows, 1 minute before display help please

Gypsycurse
Level 8
Hi all,

UPDATE - Retailer swapped the motherboard out, all working as intended. Thanks everyone for your input.

Background - feel free to ignore

About 2 months ago I flashed my system to 2203 and the update completed without issue, however when the system rebooted my system went through post and dropped me to an American Megatrend logo, no error text, the system was unresponsive and it was stuck.

At the time I was very time poor and after some rudimentary testing and 20 or so reboots gave up and took the PC into a local store. 15 days later they returned it to me stating that the bios penny battery had been dead and that after replacing it the system had posted and given them normal error messages.

Ok, embarrassment on my part but hey, at least it's fixed.. well nope. The issue appears to be intermittent, after ringing them they acknowledge they never saw the original error I reported, for them it had got straight to the normal "Press F1" error.

Current issue

I have since updated my system to 2304, but the intermittent failure to boot still exists and I also have an extremely long delay (1 minute) before the display comes to life, and pausing for about 20 seconds during the post screen, meaning it takes nearly two minutes to get into Windows 10.

I have videoed the post codes as they progress through and it looks to me almost like my system is resetting twice before it actually starts loading?

I have tried loading default settings, disconnecting all but the keyboard, but the weird delay seems to happen all the time. I'd really welcome anyone who can interpret the looping post codes and where I should look in the bios to help remedy this.

Thanks

John
7 REPLIES 7

Othello
Level 7
From what I can tell from your video you are booting up from being in hibernate. You might try not shutting down in hibernate or just do restart from within windows and see how long it takes to complete the restart.

Question, when you do shutdown are you also turning power off to the computer?

Othello wrote:
From what I can tell from your video you are booting up from being in hibernate. You might try not shutting down in hibernate or just do restart from within windows and see how long it takes to complete the restart.

Question, when you do shutdown are you also turning power off to the computer?

Hi Othello,

To my knowledge, I am completely shutting down, I always choose shut down, however I don't turn off the power at the PSU. That said as I explain below I have tried reseating the memory and as you can imagine that necessitates completely powering down the system, which had no impact on the overly long boot process.

In regards to your other question, when I do a restart it takes just as long.

Since taking the video I reviewed the boot process more closely and the Dram Yellow LED stays on the whole time. Focusing on just the memory I reset the memory speed back the basic 2133 and tried again, no change. I tried removing the memory, reseating it and using just using individual sticks. The boot process went entirely the same.

So possibly the memory is faulty but it passes multiple tests once in windows without error.

Thanks for your input.

John

UPDATE: Spoke with the repair centre again today, they suggested disconnecting the boot drives and seeing if the post screen appears quicker. I have also found that I system more frequently comes to a complete stop if my USB devices are connected to the onboard USB 3.0 ports so they suggested checking if the PSU was set to single or multi rail.

I'm clutching at straws now.

Your Q codes show that it is getting hung at code 19 for about 13 sec. much longer than my computer.
Have you tried doing a clear cmos, which should put everything back to default? If not try it and see if it affects your boot time.

I tried to search for what Q code 19 actually represents and what can affect it but I have not come up with anything meaningful but I think your slow boot is caused by whatever is causing it to hang at this code for a long time. Wish I could be more help.

Othello wrote:
Your Q codes show that it is getting hung at code 19 for about 13 sec. much longer than my computer.
Have you tried doing a clear cmos, which should put everything back to default? If not try it and see if it affects your boot time.

I tried to search for what Q code 19 actually represents and what can affect it but I have not come up with anything meaningful but I think your slow boot is caused by whatever is causing it to hang at this code for a long time. Wish I could be more help.

Hi Othello,

Thanks again for your input, I have followed your suggestion, resetting the cmos and using default settings didn't make any difference. I watched the codes and as you say it seems to freeze at 19 around three times, each time for 13-14 seconds, this obviously contributes a significant amount of the delay to boot.

John

I see from your video that the Yellow light indicator is lit. From the Manual this means Memory Fault. Now that doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem ram. Have you tried reseating them or using only one stick? I've run into that problem in the past where I messed with the Bios and killed a ram stick. Or possibly changing from B1/B2 to A1/A2. I know recommended is how you have it now though who knows. Give it a try and let us know.

Good Luck!

On another note when overclocking, I would enter in settings that would have my system boot loop twice before loading the Asus logo followed by an error message letting me know some overclock setting didn't work. This is normal. Asus allows the system to try the overlock settings multiple times to see if it will boot. I've had the boot loop fail on first try then looped a second time and went through.

7ha7as1an wrote:
I see from your video that the Yellow light indicator is lit. From the Manual this means Memory Fault. Now that doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem ram. Have you tried reseating them or using only one stick? I've run into that problem in the past where I messed with the Bios and killed a ram stick. Or possibly changing from B1/B2 to A1/A2. I know recommended is how you have it now though who knows. Give it a try and let us know.

Good Luck!

On another note when overclocking, I would enter in settings that would have my system boot loop twice before loading the Asus logo followed by an error message letting me know some overclock setting didn't work. This is normal. Asus allows the system to try the overlock settings multiple times to see if it will boot. I've had the boot loop fail on first try then looped a second time and went through.

Hi 7ha7as1an,

I reset everything back to default and did as you suggested, initially just reseating the dimms, but then moved on to using the individually and trying them if differing slots. Unfortunately, no combination of places or number of dimms made any difference.

I think at this stage I will go back to the shop and ask them to test alternative memory if that works, cool, I guess I buy new memory, if that doesn't work, I'll ask them to rip out the motherboard and get it replaced under warranty.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, I'll update with the outcome.

John

Gypsycurse wrote:
Hi 7ha7as1an,

I reset everything back to default and did as you suggested, initially just reseating the dimms, but then moved on to using the individually and trying them if differing slots. Unfortunately, no combination of places or number of dimms made any difference.

I think at this stage I will go back to the shop and ask them to test alternative memory if that works, cool, I guess I buy new memory, if that doesn't work, I'll ask them to rip out the motherboard and get it replaced under warranty.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, I'll update with the outcome.

John

UPDATE: Retailer had the system for 3 days and agreed to replace the motherboard, got it back today and it seems to be functioning perfectly. Thanks to you all for your suggestions.

John