cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any solution to the immediate ramp of of fans using Q-Fan or FanXpert4?

Squidmaster7
Level 7
My fans are ramping up if I pass the temperature threshold, which happens basically anytime I open Chrome etc. ITs super annoying, I dont need my fans spinning up and back down just because my cpu spiked for a milisecond. Has anyone found a solution to this?
14 REPLIES 14

CRJ84
Level 9
There is an option for Ramp up time in seconds and Ramp down time, i have set mine to 25 sec before it will ramp up the fans.

CRJ84 wrote:
There is an option for Ramp up time in seconds and Ramp down time, i have set mine to 25 sec before it will ramp up the fans.

The step-up time doesnt work though. It has been documented in this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100499-Q-fan-step-up-time

The fans completely disregard the step-up and down values.

Squidmaster7 wrote:
The step-up time doesnt work though. It has been documented in this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100499-Q-fan-step-up-time

The fans completely disregard the step-up and down values.

Step up works fine here on my XI, configured it in the bios to 6.3 i don't get any ramp ups at all only when the specified cpu temp hits my configured target then the fans ramp up.

Adrian1983 wrote:
Step up works fine here on my XI, configured it in the bios to 6.3 i don't get any ramp ups at all only when the specified cpu temp hits my configured target then the fans ramp up.

Do you mean that the fans wait 6.3 seconds after reaching the specified temp they begin to ramp up? Because that is the point of the step up time. The main use case is to avid the fans ramping up and down very quickly because you opened up a chrome tab etc...

Squidmaster7 wrote:
Do you mean that the fans wait 6.3 seconds after reaching the specified temp they begin to ramp up? Because that is the point of the step up time. The main use case is to avid the fans ramping up and down very quickly because you opened up a chrome tab etc...

Yes that's what i mean, it was annoying the fans revving up every time you do a simple task or opening of an app, it did that here until i found 6.3 sec delay to be optimal for me for light loads, if the cpu temp stays at your target temp for more than 6.3 i think it is then the fans kick in. i've never had an issue with the XI hero or the VIII hero i owned before this.

mdzcpa
Level 12
The delay in Fan Expert works if you wish to use that.

instyne
Level 7
I've had my build running for just over a month. I'm having the same problem, my cores highest temp is 33C while I'm typing this. The fans have cycled up and down 5 times, I'm very interested in an answer myself.

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Maybe try something like this:

CPU Q-Fan Control - PWM Mode
CPU Fan Setup - 25 sec
CPU Step down - 8.5 sec
My :
CPU FAN Lower Limit is 200 RPM
Manual Fan Profile
CPU upper Temp: 55
max duty cycle: 100
CPU middle Temp: 50
middle duty cycle:80
CPU lower Temp: 45
Minimum duty cycle: 37

Works for me. Then again i use anything BUT Chrome since it tracks more than any other browser out there.

Good luck !

Holypriest
Level 7
I have recently bought the Hero X, and i run it with a 9900k, and custom cooling loop, and
having the same problem, as many others with the ramp ups and downs and trying all the solution's in this thread, and also in the thread linked above https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100499-Q-fan-step-up-time

I finally downloaded the program Argus monitor, recommended in the other thread, and without any prior knowledge, and a short youtube video, i figured out how to get my fans, nice and quiet, took me about 30-45 minutes of playing around and making a curve.
And it is so nice to have found a working solution.

I only got the program last night, so I am trying the 1 month FREE before i make a purchase, and to see if it holds up, but so far I am a happy camper.