cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the difference between Afterburner and Asus GPU Tweak ?

Chuckee
Level 7
As the title states I watched the video about Asus GPU Tweak and I have all thos efeatures in Afterburner. To me it just seems like the same program with a different skin. I have the MSI 6970 Lightning but it does seem like Afterburner or MSI is geared more towards NVidia. Does the Asus tweaker make a radeon card work better?
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
The main difference is that the ASUS product is aimed at ASUS cards, and with certain cards there are features and tweaking options that are not available to other vendors products, and which AB does not do. Point in case is the HD7970 The ASUS tool is quite simply the best utility for that card, as long as it is an ASUS. The options are not available to other vendor cards.

Since you have a MSI product. AB is what you should be using it is a very good utility. I too use it for my Lightning.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

for my 6950 DCII the voltage control in MSI Afterburner doesnt work, even with this thingies enabled in the config file

well asus smartdoctor is no option for me, that program is just eww...

gladly the voltage control works in ASUS GPU Tweak, but the program is still needs some improvements imo

kimir
Level 7
Yeah, with MSI product use afterburner and with Asus product, use GPUTweak!
With my Matrix cards, I need GPUTweak if I want to use custom fan profile, in Afterburner they are not even recognized.
INTEL Core i7 4930K @ 4.5Ghz
ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
EVGA GTX 780Ti K|NGP|N SLI (x2)
Gskill Trident X DDR3 PC3 20800 - 4 x 4 Go
SSD Samsung 840 pro 256Go (OS & app)
SSD Samsung 840 pro 512 (games)
Custom Ek waterblock loop
EVGA Supernova 1300G2
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64

kimir wrote:
Yeah, with MSI product use afterburner and with Asus product, use GPUTweak!
With my Matrix cards, I need GPUTweak if I want to use custom fan profile, in Afterburner they are not even recognized.

I hacked my evga gtx 480s' ( tri sli ) for overvoltage. When Battlefield 3 first came out and I was trying to play NV surround multimonitor resolutions and 3d.
With only 1.5 gigs of memory on the 480s'...
overclock my memory so I could get the data in and out of the maxed gBuffer quicker worked...
But I had no clue what voltages to use for the core clocks I was trying ( around 925MHz .
I found GPU Tweak "Automatically" adjusted a suggested voltage for the clocks I was setting. And for a ball park figure...
I found that GPU Tweak was usually within range after increasing/decreasing from that starting point.
But that was version 1.0.

The voltage automation seemed to work great for my EVGA cards but GPUTweak no longer supports auto voltage suggestions on 3rd party cards ( I call it suggestion cuz I only used the feature as a starting point ).
If I remember right... GPU Tweak no longer "explicitly" supports any Nvidia card unless it is 500 series or above... 😞

I do not know what the harm would be to support reference cards ( as far as I know Asus releases generic nvidia cards like everyone else... ) I do not see why, there should be any difficulty supporting reference designs.

MSI afterburner seems to have a stability advantage for now.
But GPUTweak and the evolving ROG software seems to point to a nice concentration...
If they keep it up, I will probably be doing some Asus bios research in the near future.
( Nothing seem worth the increment lately. Considering the base $3000 it takes to revolutionize the experience! depends how long Haswell and Maxwell take... Otherwise I would have to keeps thousands of dollars in the bank and this hardware would have to last. )

I would be interested in hearing success and horror stories when flasing for an ASUS NV GPU BIOS?
I have one Galaxy posing with my EVGAs' and at a higher voltage at that. ( for the last year without issue )
According to Jacob @ EVGA... Warranty's will be honored if you can git the original bios back on the card for RMA.

But even if I could not repair a BIOS on a fragged card, The 480's seem to be built like tanks and they are appearing everywhere now ( probably even more so after todays 690 announcement )

Hi, currently I am using MSI AFTERBURNER on my GIGABYTE GTX 590. Can I use ASUS GPU TWEAK on my GIGABYTE GTX 590 ? I know that it is design for ASUS product, just want to know can I use it or not? Thanks

My system spec:
Processor : i7 3930K C2 (4.6 ghz, Core Voltage 1.336V)
Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME
RAM : Corsair CMZ 16GX3M4X1866C9
Graphic Card: GIGABYTE GTX 590 Quad SLI
HARD DISK : Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6
PSU : SILVERSTONE STRIDER 1500W
i7 3930K C2 (4.5 ghz, Core Voltage 1.320V, offset VCore +0.010 previous [+0.020], BIOS 4901)(XSPC Raystorm Water block)
ASUS RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME
Corsair CMZ 16GX3M4X1866C9
ASUS ROG GTX 1080 STRIX
DELL U2713HM
Intel 530 240GB SSD RAID 0
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6 x 2 (non RAID)
SILVERSTONE STRIDER 1500W
Hardware Lab Black Ice SR1 Low Air Flow Optimized - 360 Radiator
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1850 RPM x 6

USAdystopia
Level 7
Knowing that GPUTweak is designed for ASUS cards (2.03 locked my system; maybe 2.06 will work better), what do readers recommend for XFX cards? Have had decent results with Sapphire's TRIXX and MSI's AB.
Crosshair V Formula Z BIOS 2101
AMD FX9590 4.712GHz (stock)
XFX R7970 TDBC Double Dissipation Black Edition @ 1000Hz/1425Hz mem (stock)
XFX R7970 TDBC Double Dissipation Black Edition @ 1000Hz/1425Hz mem (stock)
Samsung 850PRO 256 Gb + 840PRO + WD 750 Black 6Gb/s
Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 Hz 32Gb
Corsair 600T White w/USAdystopia p/p SwiftechH220 alternative cooling method w/Cougar PWM fans
Dell U2711 2560 x 1440
Corsair K70RGB/M65 keyboard/mouse
Corsair AX1200
Windows 7 64

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not sure but it is an easy install and a very easy uninstall if you do not get it to work how you want.

To uninstall you just click install again and you will be asked if you wish to fully remove the application. There is nothing left over to cause conflict with afterburner if you go back that route.

However I might suggest EVGA Precision X would be my first choice of tuner.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I find myself using MSI AB instead of GPU Tweak because it groups SLI cards instead of having to swap from one to the other. I can also display the temps in my taskbar for each GPU. I find ASUS has a lot of missing features unless I didn't find these simple functions?