cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How come CPU Current Capability went from 170% to 140% on Z390-I 2417 Bios update?

tml4191
Level 7
I just updated bios today on the Z390-I mobo, and I noticed CPU Current Capability maxes out at 140% instead of 170%? How come, and how much will this affect my overclock?

Pic for reference:

https://imgur.com/a/rp1I85w
10 REPLIES 10

Deepcuts
Level 10
tml4191 wrote:
I just updated bios today on the Z390-I mobo, and I noticed CPU Current Capability maxes out at 140% instead of 170%? How come, and how much will this affect my overclock?

Pic for reference:

https://imgur.com/a/rp1I85w

I would say even 140% pushes the limits on conventional cooling methods.
Are you using LN2 or something?

Deepcuts wrote:

No, it affects the 9900k and it's overclocking potential.

Enderwiggin03 wrote:

Got any proof?

From what Raja said in other thread:

"The CPU current capability parameter sets the threshold for the VRM to shutdown. It’s a failsafe that works by monitoring how much current the VRM is supplying to the CPU. The default setting should be ample for most overclocking. You only need to increase it if the motherboard shuts down when the CPU is under load. No other reason to adjust it; there is nothing to be gained by doing so. "

My CPU is not a golden sample like most of people You can see on the net with doing 5GHz easy, it's ****ty one actually, but I can get my 50/50/50/49/49/49/49/49 OC just like I could on earlier bios. It's most likely You would reach temperature limit on i9 before max out current anyway.

Melkor wrote:
Got any proof?

From what Raja said in other thread:

"The CPU current capability parameter sets the threshold for the VRM to shutdown. It’s a failsafe that works by monitoring how much current the VRM is supplying to the CPU. The default setting should be ample for most overclocking. You only need to increase it if the motherboard shuts down when the CPU is under load. No other reason to adjust it; there is nothing to be gained by doing so. "

My CPU is not a golden sample like most of people You can see on the net with doing 5GHz easy, it's ****ty one actually, but I can get my 50/50/50/49/49/49/49/49 OC just like I could on earlier bios. It's most likely You would reach temperature limit on i9 before max out current anyway.

After bios update my I5-9600k with Current Capability 140% not reaching same OC level. Crashing when need more than 135W CPU Power Usage. In Prime95 before was stable 5.0 GHz AVX offset 0 and was using ~165W.

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
of course not, currently i use "auto" value and it has no impact in any benchmark, even in those most extreme ones like y-cruncher

Deepcuts wrote:

I noticed on my i5 9600k that at 5 ghz if I go into ai suit that if I change the percentage of cpu capability to 170 percent I jump in cinebench about a 1199 and if I change it back to 140 percent I loose about a hundred in that score 1096 so it does make a little different. im on a nzxt kraken 280 rad watter cooled. system is a asus rog z390 e gaming and 16 corsair vengeance lpx ram a corsair cx 750 m powersupply. overclocked to 5ghz on all cores and no avx offset.

Enderwiggin03
Level 7
Good to know, I do 5.1Ghz on all 8, 5.2 is doable, but cooling is insufficient for me.

edrickjk
Level 7
9900k here 5 all core ,0 avx offset and still reach 177w under heavy benchmark......at 140% they just changed the total scale not the clocking ability.I know i have a doifferent vrm,but all the asus z390 went from 170 to 140.82103

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Current Capability simply increases the amount of current allowed through the die before OCP. If you're not experiencing any OCP behavior, it can be left alone and the default setting is of no consequence.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090