cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero / Formula

Vlada011
Level 10
I want to show motherboards to enthusiasts who not read news everyday and plan to upgrade on new AMD processors.
I mean it's very hard from my perspective impossible to real enthusiast now invest in Intel platform when PCI-E 3.0 become obsolete and every new high end device will be PCI-E 4.0.

PCI-E 3.0 price will drop and SSD will be sold for gaming and storage devices for significant less prices.
Gen 3.0 Interface for sure is not reason why someone need instantly to jump from almost same powerfull platform, but if we talk about people who plan upgrade longer time and need better performance even 30-40% lower price is not enough for investing in Intel.

AMD litterary saved Intel with prices of motherboard, They always deal about such things no matter on competition.
Imagine if Crossshair VI Hero cost 300-350$ and you build platform almost for price of i9-9900K PCI-E 3.0.
AMD helped them and instantly delay upgrade for 30-40% of customers with motherboard prices.
And delay is best Intel can get from customers, why they sent stories about PCI-E 5.0, probably to customers ask self What if Intel launch Gen 5.0 and I upgraded before few months. Enough to get on time before they launch processors and motherboards with PCI-E 4.0 support.

But if someone don't want to wait and want best of now this is motherboard for him.
With Wi-fI 6 802.11ax Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5.0
New PCH X570 Gen 4.0 Support 40 PCI-E lanes.
Bottom slots with black locker are probably depend from PCH.
Great motherboard, active cooling for chipset and M.2 slots completely covered.
This is motherboard profile we used to see before only with Intel chipsets.
Much better look when customer remove plastic part around processor and install watercooling.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Hero-WI-FI/overview/

Nicest Crosshair ASUS ever launched.
Only I would be so happy to see same 24pin as GIGABYTE, metal, angled really look newer and innovative and replace this old looking type of connectors.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Formula/

Formula have uncover SupremeFX and shield on him look amazing.
I like to see him exposed even if I use dedicate sound card.
Off course watercooling is recommended for this kind of platform and motherboards. AIO or custom liquid cooling.

I like little more how shield on Formula is more complete, from edge to edge on bottom parts.
Silver-Black, unbeatable color scheme for PC hardware, domination of black with good ammount of silver details.

6 REPLIES 6

xeizo
Level 12
That little fan, it's not gonna sell any motherboards. MSI ACE is on Youtube and it's sounds awful. Gigabyte has the Extreme with no fan, only costs 1K though ....

I think Asus better starts ramping up production on Crosshair VII again and get to work to improve it's bios!

This looks to be awful until Asmedia has it's next gen chipset ready, X570 isn't a chipset it's an extra I/O-die but without a beefy CPU-cooler on top.

Btw, retailer pricing has leaked here in Sweden and Crosshair VIII Hero will cost 500€! But it would be a no-buy even for 300€ with the fan.

edit. It's sad that it's fully possible to make a PCIe 4.0-board with X470 if one wants, but AMD has prohibited it in the hope of pushing more chipsets I guess.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

Vlada011
Level 10
That's not correct, I have nothing against motherboard fan.
Their speed could be changed in BIOS. And they are not loud always as people think.
Fan have purpose and it's not accidentally there.
I would really like to have Crosshair VIII Hero, don't even to talk about Formula.

Price of X570 is tragic and will help a lot to Intel.
Intel just need time and do everything they can to people delay upgrade on AMD.
Price of motherboards helped them. I would never invest now in obsolete Z390 when PCI-E 4.0 devices start to show up.
But AMD prices help people to think what is good for them.

I will need and CPU Waterblock for new platform, Monoblock can't be used on other board. I can't wait.
I choose parts for best watercooling. To bad I can't afford Bitspower fittings but I found solution I like.

These parts will look insane in original Lian Li PC-O11 WXC.
Every hardware will be recognizable and RGB will be on Mobo and GPU, but will not distract attention.

Vlada011
Level 10
One more motherboard is extremely interesting.
ASUS X570 WS-ACE is so simple and attractive motherboard and best combo with AMD 3950X.

Two motherboards from ASUS for premium build, for Now.
Crosshair VIII Extreme is close probably...

Retired
Not applicable
I seem to be the only one who really like chipset fans ))
😄

Ryzen 9 3900x is not supported on this board? I thought all of the x-570 Chipset motherboards were compatible with the amd 3rd gen Ryzen cpus. What gives?:(
I picked up both of these on Sunday.
Am I screwed?

From PCpartPicker.com has this listed as incompatible.
And the support section on this board doesnt have this CPU listed as compatible?

JurunceNK
Level 7
IMO the ROG Crosshair VIII Hero is the best motherboard in the ROG stack. For USD $359 (USD $379 for the Wi-Fi version), it has pretty much everything you can think of; 7+1 interleaved VRM (14+2 phases), LN2 overclocking features, a 7-segment display for codes, excellent memory topology, excellent I/O front and back, and excellent storage connectivity. The VRM, according to Buildzoid, does not put out that much heat anyways, even with a 12-core Ryzen 9 CPU.

The ROG Crosshair VIII Formula is nearly double the price, and it only has a VRM waterblock, an OLED screen, an Aquantia 5G Ethernet controller, and more fancier lighting. The price sits at USD $699. In my humble opinion, the pricing of the ROG Crosshair VIII Formula puts it in territory where there are way better motherboards from the competition, especially when you factor in that some USD $699 motherboards have an Aquantia 10G controller, 70A TDA21472 smart power stages, a 16-phase VRM controller called the XDPE132G5C, and even more crazy engineering to go with it.

The ROG Crosshair VIII Formula is functionally an ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) with only a few things to spruce it up a little. As I see it, it struggles to compete with other boards in the USD $699 price bracket. A lot of people (may not be the majority) would see just that; the ROG Crosshair VIII Formula is no more than a very expensive ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, and they will go with the Hero since that is far more affordable, and they still get all the fun and excellent features.

To summarise, the ROG Crosshair VIII needs a steep price cut to justify its existence. At USD $450, it would make more sense. To fill in the USD $699 slot in the ROG lineup, the ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme should be created. With a true 14+2 VRM using the XDPE132G5C controller and TDA21472 power stages, and a real fin stack to cool the VRM and chipset, the ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme would be extreme.
"Assuming kills" - Anonymous

Intel Core i7-5930K | Custom Loop | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Corsair Dominator SE 4x8GB | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair 900D
Corsair AX1200i | Windows 10 Pro