cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Gl503GE: Questions about Perf Limiter: Voltage, chirping sound, temperatures, etc

NilanganRay
Level 7
I just got this laptop 2 days back. I have a few questions. I am not sure if should make separate threads or make one thread. I am new here. There are only the questions that I could not find answers to and could not get help from anywhere else.

Please do suggest if I should make separate threads for each. Thanks. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ANSWER ANY OF THE QUESTIONS

1. I noticed that while changing config in ROG gaming center or playing a game, the GPU Perf Limiter shows Voltage. There are no framedrops or issues in game. Is this normal? On regular use, it stays on Utilization. And Power for battery.

2. I am aware that the laptop has a coil whine but I also noticed that there are some chirping sounds coming out along the whining. I think this is fan noise but I am not sure. It is audible even during normal use. It is not loud but hearable in silent room. Is this normal? I am attaching sound file in below link.

EDIT- I did something and noticed that the sound is reduced by a lot if I change performance mode to better performance from Max. Even in battery. I also noticed that unplugging the laptop reduces noise further. When plugged there is also this fax machine while printing noise (not loud). All of the sounds are from the Numpad area. Is this by design and normal?
EDIT 2- Found fix from another thread. Changing power plan and disabling Turbo fixes it. Apparently, it's very common.

3. In gaming test of witcher 3.. The CPU stayed around 80-85 degree after 30 minutes but there are spikes to around 95 degree for 1-2 seconds before it comes down again to the range. GPU temp is stable. Is this because of turbo? Is this safe? Attaching recording of temps in document.

4. The display looks great on dark colors but is looking washed out on whites (Chrome). I saw this on reviews as well. People asking to calibrate and reduce sharpness. I calibrated from windows tool but the caliberation resets when I close the lid or turn it off. Also, how do I reduce sharpness? There is no option in Intel UHD.

5. Aura worked fine but I noticed it had issues with CPU usage. I uninstalled and reinstalled but could not get it to work again. Did some random stuff and now it works but the Basic effects dont work. Only the customize 1 and customize 2 work. Its no big deal but I am missing out on music effect as it is not available in the custom one. I am not touching this because I had a hard time to get it to work after it failed and I am not sure what worked.

Folder that contains the chirping sound clip and the temperature recording video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PBLCAbLt9WOgZDMiKpD5MTrCjcw7hslF
2 REPLIES 2

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
1- it's normal.

2- sounds like the hard drive + coil whine. It's "normal". Don't worry about it unless it's bothering you.

3- it's safe, as long as it's not maintaining high 90s for longer periods

4- are you running win10 1903? I think this calibration issue was fixed on this last update.

5- I think it has to do with the nahimic service. Uninstall it and see what happens.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
1- it's normal.

2- sounds like the hard drive + coil whine. It's "normal". Don't worry about it unless it's bothering you.

3- it's safe, as long as it's not maintaining high 90s for longer periods

4- are you running win10 1903? I think this calibration issue was fixed on this last update.

5- I think it has to do with the nahimic service. Uninstall it and see what happens.

hey thanks.. I am on latest update. And I don't have nahimic service. I can't fix aura at all.