cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Extreme Issues

Forgottenspy
Level 7
Hey there! I have a problem I have tried to do some research, and also have been on and off with tech support for a while and just can't seem to get around it.

The system specs are posted below, but when trying to put this rig together I've had some major issues. The first problem was that I couldn't get any of the PCIE slots on the motherboard to work. When contacting ASUS they said to RMA the board and they would take a look. I sent off the board and they just gave me a new one. After the 2nd assembly I couldn't get the video card to work with this motherboard or with any others for that matter. Once again RMA and off it went, with a new one returning. This time I can only get the video card to work in the 3rd PCIE slot, and it's not recognized in the first two. I can put older video cards into the first and 2nd slots and they work just fine, however this new one only works in the third slot. My second issue is that I can't seem to get the M2 drives in the DIMM2 slot to work either. I have changed settings in the BIOS but they never seem to be recognized either. I am not sure if the issues are connected or possibly I have yet another bad board, but since I can't find help anywhere else with these issues I am dying to see if anyone here might have some insight or any tricks I might be able to try. Also this is a fresh machine, just installed windows using the on-board gpu.

The Rig...
i9 9900K
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
2x G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000)
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti DirectX 12 ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING 11GB 352-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP
4x Samsung 970 PRO 512GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD
1200W Corsair AX1200i
Corsair 1000D (case)
2 REPLIES 2

Jesseinsf
Level 10
Forgottenspy wrote:
Hey there! I have a problem I have tried to do some research, and also have been on and off with tech support for a while and just can't seem to get around it.

The system specs are posted below, but when trying to put this rig together I've had some major issues. The first problem was that I couldn't get any of the PCIE slots on the motherboard to work. When contacting ASUS they said to RMA the board and they would take a look. I sent off the board and they just gave me a new one. After the 2nd assembly I couldn't get the video card to work with this motherboard or with any others for that matter. Once again RMA and off it went, with a new one returning. This time I can only get the video card to work in the 3rd PCIE slot, and it's not recognized in the first two. I can put older video cards into the first and 2nd slots and they work just fine, however this new one only works in the third slot. My second issue is that I can't seem to get the M2 drives in the DIMM2 slot to work either. I have changed settings in the BIOS but they never seem to be recognized either. I am not sure if the issues are connected or possibly I have yet another bad board, but since I can't find help anywhere else with these issues I am dying to see if anyone here might have some insight or any tricks I might be able to try. Also this is a fresh machine, just installed windows using the on-board gpu.

The Rig...
i9 9900K
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
2x G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000)
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti DirectX 12 ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING 11GB 352-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP
4x Samsung 970 PRO 512GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD
1200W Corsair AX1200i
Corsair 1000D (case)

This is a tough one because you have maxed out your NVMe slots. Just to be clear you do know your video card will only run at 8X? also, you have to turn on the DIMM.2 slots in the BIOS as well-as turn on native NVMe for the embedded NVMe slots. Also PCIe slot 3 will need to be set at 2X for the 2nd onboard NVMe slot. If I were in your position I would take out the NVMe drives on the motherboard and make sure the DIMM.2 slot is turned on. See if that works. Your video card will still run at 8X mode but this should work unless there is a cable or other HW issue. Now, if you want your video card to run at 16X mode then you need to not use the DIMM.2 slot. Just use the onboard NVMe slots and make sure you turn on the Native NVMe driver.

First thing i will try is to switch bios,if the issue persist try to update it,but always keep one of your bios at a lower version,

First 2 pcie slot and dimm are direct to cpu ,third pcie and m.2 go to the chipset. Using the dim will drop your pcie at 8x .

If you still plan to use the dim , you need to switch the cpu pcie config to dimm.2_1 dimm.2_2. You can keep the SLot 3 at 4x as it only affect the sata port 5 and 6.

IF possible could you try your video card in another system? Would be wise to root this out to begin with, did you write down your serial number before sending your motherboard? its always possible they send you the same board back .

I would check if all your drive are on the same firmware with samsung magician as well, important to do this before doing a raid array if you plan to do so.

Are you doing a video edit rig or just want the extra speed in raid if you don't mind me asking?

If not ,a solution would be to use a pcie to nvme adapter in your pcie slot 3 ,since its connected to the chipset. Then a usb c to nvme adapter for the 4th drive,Since the 2080ti is one of the few card maxing out at 8x ,i would consider that solution.Thats what i did in my case.