cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 NVMe disks disappeared after CPU/BIOS update

erlendkrool
Level 7
Hello everyone 🙂

I recently built a PC using the ROG Strix B450 F Gaming MOBO along with an Ryzen 5 2600 CPU. Then I added two M.2 SSD later on, one of em being the Kingston A1000 960GB, and my it worked like a charm ❤️

But lately, after I switched my CPU from Ryzen 5 2600 to Ryzen 7 2700X, which my MOBO supports, and after flashing my BIOS, the M.2 SSDs are no longer visible anywhere in my BIOS nor at any OS running over USB, like Linux for example. Its just like the M.2/NVMe disks disappeared forever. I still have my M.2 Disks connected to the Mobo, but I can't see them or detect them in the BIOS disk list. In the BIOS it says: No disks are connected. And I can't find any settings related to the SATA/PCIe mode on the M.2 slots.

I tried resetting the BIOS settings, I tried disabling CSM, I tried locating the disks in any list inside BIOS, I can't locate the disks nor find any bootloader, so I tried absolutely everything 😕 Everything worked fine before I switched the CPU and flashed the BIOS. I was so mad yesterday, so I just bought a new 1TB Samsung SSD and installed this instead via SATA port 0. The PC is working fine now. But the M.2 slots, or the disks, are either corrupted or defect, in my opinion. Or the slots are defect on the MOBO. What could have caused this? Does anyone know if there's any setting in the BIOS or anything I could try? Or resetting the CMOS, would this help?

Here are my parts I use today:

MOBO: ROG Strix B450 F Gaming

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X (supported on the mobo)

M.2 SSD: Kingston A1000 960GB M.2 SSD (does not work any longer / Connected directly on the MOBO)

M.2SSD: Samsung PM981 SSD 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD (does not work any longer / Connected directly on the MOBO)

2.5" SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD (works like a charm using SATA Port 0)

The PC worked fine using the M.2 disks mentioned over "before" I upgraded the CPU. Afterwards they just disappeared. Now, the PC works fine using the older type of Samsung 2.5" SSD Disk via SATA Port 0.

Thank You in advance for any advice or help I can get.
6 REPLIES 6

FalloutBoy
Level 7
I don't know much about your board or it's BIOS as I run an x99 and an X399 but do you have an option under BIOS that is Called Advanced->Four way configuration? If so what is it set to and what PCIe Slots in your system are in use?
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha

FalloutBoy wrote:
I don't know much about your board or it's BIOS as I run an x99 and an X399 but do you have an option under BIOS that is Called Advanced->Four way configuration? If so what is it set to and what PCIe Slots in your system are in use?

I have not checked for that setting, but I will later. Both NVMe slots are in use, but if you are referring to which PCIe slot I use for my GPU, I don't remember which #. But what does any of that have to do with the problem? Everything worked fine before I switched my CPU and flashed the bios. So I don't think that the slots I use makes any difference when the PC and NVMe disks worked fine in the past. Thanks for the reply though.

EDIT: The M.2 NVMe disks were the problem! They are both defect. This means that when I upgraded the CPU and flashed the BIOS, something MUST have happened which damaged both the NVMe disks. I sent both disks back to the store I bought them from, and I got refunded for both the disks, they could not get them to work in their IT service center.

So the big question is still unanswered though, was it the CPU switch or the BIOS flash which destroyed the NVMe disks? My ASUS ROG STRIX B450 F GAMING motherboard is still working like a charm and I have not found any issues with the motherboard at all, and I'm happy for that. But it still bothers me that the NVMe disks could take damage by just doing either a BIOS flash or switching the CPU. I'm gonna continue using the older 2.5" SSDs instead of M.2 NVMe disks in the future, because of this incident which took me many hours to figure out. It was a pain in the ***, that's for sure!

erlendkrool wrote:
EDIT: The M.2 NVMe disks were the problem! They are both defect. This means that when I upgraded the CPU and flashed the BIOS, something MUST have happened which damaged both the NVMe disks. I sent both disks back to the store I bought them from, and I got refunded for both the disks, they could not get them to work in their IT service center.

So the big question is still unanswered though, was it the CPU switch or the BIOS flash which destroyed the NVMe disks? My ASUS ROG STRIX B450 F GAMING motherboard is still working like a charm and I have not found any issues with the motherboard at all, and I'm happy for that. But it still bothers me that the NVMe disks could take damage by just doing either a BIOS flash or switching the CPU. I'm gonna continue using the older 2.5" SSDs instead of M.2 NVMe disks in the future, because of this incident which took me many hours to figure out. It was a pain in the ***, that's for sure!

Okay I found the section in bios that may be responsible for the problem - note this is a RAMPANT guess but check in bios if you have an option called "Advanced\AMD fTPM configuration" and check out the information related to the settings.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha

FalloutBoy wrote:
Okay I found the section in bios that may be responsible for the problem - note this is a RAMPANT guess but check in bios if you have an option called "Advanced\AMD fTPM configuration" and check out the information related to the settings.

Do not mess with this setting.

The TPM is a tamper-resistant "secure element" used to hold cryptographic keys (including smartcard certificates and BitLocker credentials). BitLocker mainly uses it for the system disk, since the TPM can provide passwordless unlocking while still resisting external attacks (i.e. it seals the encryption key with the current system state). Without a TPM, you would have to unlock the system disk using a password, a recovery key, or a USB stick on every reboot.

This has nothing to do with drives disappearing from bios. You have already identified the issue as bad drives. Odd that you would have 2 bad drives at the same time but anything is possible.

jims2321 wrote:
Do not mess with this setting.

The TPM is a tamper-resistant "secure element" used to hold cryptographic keys (including smartcard certificates and BitLocker credentials). BitLocker mainly uses it for the system disk, since the TPM can provide passwordless unlocking while still resisting external attacks (i.e. it seals the encryption key with the current system state). Without a TPM, you would have to unlock the system disk using a password, a recovery key, or a USB stick on every reboot.

This has nothing to do with drives disappearing from bios. You have already identified the issue as bad drives. Odd that you would have 2 bad drives at the same time but anything is possible.

Fair enough, my thought was because he had mentioned a CPU update which I assumed meant a change in CPU that this may have effected the pre stored key generated by the TPM, my thought was that the cpu serial number may have been involved and that with the change in CPU the key would no longer be valid and thus the drives could have been made unrecognizable. but if im wrong i'm wrong... it was a rampant guess as stated.
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha