Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    16

    You know clint I should have just used macrium free to back up my harddrive......
    Btw, could you explaain to me why this is soooooo important ?
    I mean you can just download the latest win10 and the latest drivers from the support page or from the dvd.
    So why is there a sticky on the forum how important it is to do so?
    Its redundant with all the widely available other options.
    Some idiot even starter a business where you can order media to get back to factory, go figure you can just download it all for free!

  2. #12
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    105
    Posts
    4,121

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffh70 View Post
    You know clint I should have just used macrium free to back up my harddrive......
    Btw, could you explaain to me why this is soooooo important ?
    I mean you can just download the latest win10 and the latest drivers from the support page or from the dvd.
    So why is there a sticky on the forum how important it is to do so?
    Its redundant with all the widely available other options.
    Some idiot even starter a business where you can order media to get back to factory, go figure you can just download it all for free!
    This is all fine and go for it if you don't have any data or setting that you want to savel and have lots of free time to reconfigure your notebook

    Yes I can, Sure you can Clean Insall anytime you want to spend a couple of days tweaking and getting the correct drivers installed.Al the windows updates installed the reinstall your hardware drivers aging.

    With MR you create Drive Images as you go along my personal plan is i make a full Disk about once a month, I make a C Partition Images every week and incremental every day. If I have an issue I can go back to yesterday or earlier today before I screw up my notebook in about 15 minutes and be exactly where i was when I made that image or Incremental. No fuss no panic no aggravation. If I sell my G752VY I will put the very first image I created which wil put my notebook right back to the day that I bought it.

    There are other progam out there that claim to to do the same. Your free to try them out. I used Acronis for many years with great success. Then in 2012 when I moved from Legacy MBR to UEFI GPT I found that program could not restore an booting image. That's when I found MR I kept Acronis on my computer that were MBR for a few years thinking that Acronis would catch up. Well by 2015 Acronis still could not create a reliabel Image and restore it to a bootng UEFI GPT SSD/or Hard drive at that point I move all my units to MR and bought the paid for version. Since 2012 I have never had a MR Image fail to Restore an Image that would boot up without issues.

    Everyone should have a back up routine unless all your data is useless and you don't care if you lose it. and don't mind spending hours of your time Clean Installing.

    If your referring to backing up your eSupport folder the reason is that there are drivers and software that are not available for download anywhere else. It contians the drivers that were working in your notebook when you purchased it.
    Last edited by Clintlgm; 08-06-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  3. #13
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    16

    Clint first of thank you for explaining to me how a backup plan works....
    But seriously, I dont wanna get in to some kind of flame war here so just to be clear.
    Not in this post but another, which I know you've read, I stated very clearly the "dumb" reason that I came in this situation. To recap, after years of recovering from bankruptcy I finally had funds again to spend on a good rig. Selected the ASUS G752 model with the OC stuff and NVME raid 0 insane speeds and all from looking on the internet, went to the store, shelled out 2100 euro. Came home played around with it, read about it, tried to achieve advertised speeds, wasnt getting them. Found out that when buying an ASUS you have to look very carefully at the very small printed numbers behind the model number. In my case the GC0003T, the model with only 1 nvme drive, so no raid, and the model with the unoverclockable 6700HQ processor. Month had already passed, no way to change it at the store, huge store I had just grabbed a G752VS, the one I saw online.
    So im allready getting agitated with ASUS, but anyway decide to get 2 960's and put them in RAID, got that working pretty easily. Put the old SSD away somewhere, CANT FIND IT ANYMORE, so no esupport or whatever. Didnt find out until somewhere last year when I started experiencing issues, and decided to reinstall Windows. I had down that before, and you know what Clint, Microsoft would just restore to original, up on the wall paper and all. But this time no wall paper, more issues than before. Reseached, MS doesnt do OEM customisation anymore. Then I found out the Old SSD was missing, installed apps through ASUS support page, got it to work pretty well, but never back up to ols standards. First I figured i was doing it wrong, but turns out no.
    And you know the reason, you stated it yourself, files and programs on the original are missing, if you go through the installation DVD i got from asustreiber, you can see that your missing stuff, its imposible to run the prepatch (before sysprep) the postpatch, dptf.dv file not on DVD, think its setting for dptf i dunno, if you look at the .ini files it says before the command to install chipset (ATK Should be running, in the comments) you know what it isnt.
    This is from the manual :
    "Installing the Hard Disk DriveRefer to the following steps if you need to install a new HDD (Hard Disk Drive) of your Notebook PC:IMPORTANT! Purchase an HDD from authorized retailers of this Notebook PC to ensure maximum compatibility and reliability.WARNING! Disconnect all the connected peripherals, any telephone or telecommunication lines and power connector (such as external power supply, battery pack, etc.) before removing the compartment cover.NOTE:• The appearance of your Notebook PC’s bottom side and HDD may vary per model but the HDD installation remains the same.• It is recommended that you replace the HDD under professional supervision. You may also visit an authorized service center for further assistance."
    Nothing about backing up (even about personal data) your recovery partition.
    1) Why is it impossible for ASUS to offer (factory) recovery media paid or free?
    2) Why does ASUS or anyone else think its okay to let me hanging after spending 2k on a notebook just because I installed a new HD
    3) Why is there an ASUS app out there to fix all this stuff it doesnt work on older?? models (2016 seriously older)
    4) Why when coming to a support forum is there no reply from ASUS what so ever on any of the topics, and numerous they are, about this issue, but when I offer money for someone to send me an image of their recovery I get modded literally within 1 minute!!!
    5) Why do you think telling me I should have backed up over and over is helping me in any way, I have even thought you're just trolling

    And why does it take you that long to reinstall Windows, Apps, progams and updates

    Have a nice day

  4. #14
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    22
    Posts
    105

    ASUS will restore you machine to factory image. Contact support. It WONT be free. The warranty which Im guessing has long since expired only covers the factory installed hardware and OS. They will not ship any media.
    Clint gave good advice. No other manufacturer is shipping a restore disk either. Its always best to be aware of the limitations before deleting or doing a ""Clean" install.
    Personally first thing I do with a laptop is buy a new drive, clone the original to the new drive then put the original away for instances such as this.

  5. #15
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    105
    Posts
    4,121

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffh70 View Post
    Clint first of thank you for explaining to me how a backup plan works....
    But seriously, I dont wanna get in to some kind of flame war here so just to be clear.
    Not in this post but another, which I know you've read, I stated very clearly the "dumb" reason that I came in this situation. To recap, after years of recovering from bankruptcy I finally had funds again to spend on a good rig. Selected the ASUS G752 model with the OC stuff and NVME raid 0 insane speeds and all from looking on the internet, went to the store, shelled out 2100 euro. Came home played around with it, read about it, tried to achieve advertised speeds, wasnt getting them. Found out that when buying an ASUS you have to look very carefully at the very small printed numbers behind the model number. In my case the GC0003T, the model with only 1 nvme drive, so no raid, and the model with the unoverclockable 6700HQ processor. Month had already passed, no way to change it at the store, huge store I had just grabbed a G752VS, the one I saw online.
    So im allready getting agitated with ASUS, but anyway decide to get 2 960's and put them in RAID, got that working pretty easily. Put the old SSD away somewhere, CANT FIND IT ANYMORE, so no esupport or whatever. Didnt find out until somewhere last year when I started experiencing issues, and decided to reinstall Windows. I had down that before, and you know what Clint, Microsoft would just restore to original, up on the wall paper and all. But this time no wall paper, more issues than before. Reseached, MS doesnt do OEM customisation anymore. Then I found out the Old SSD was missing, installed apps through ASUS support page, got it to work pretty well, but never back up to ols standards. First I figured i was doing it wrong, but turns out no.
    And you know the reason, you stated it yourself, files and programs on the original are missing, if you go through the installation DVD i got from asustreiber, you can see that your missing stuff, its imposible to run the prepatch (before sysprep) the postpatch, dptf.dv file not on DVD, think its setting for dptf i dunno, if you look at the .ini files it says before the command to install chipset (ATK Should be running, in the comments) you know what it isnt.
    This is from the manual :
    "Installing the Hard Disk DriveRefer to the following steps if you need to install a new HDD (Hard Disk Drive) of your Notebook PC:IMPORTANT! Purchase an HDD from authorized retailers of this Notebook PC to ensure maximum compatibility and reliability.WARNING! Disconnect all the connected peripherals, any telephone or telecommunication lines and power connector (such as external power supply, battery pack, etc.) before removing the compartment cover.NOTE:• The appearance of your Notebook PC’s bottom side and HDD may vary per model but the HDD installation remains the same.• It is recommended that you replace the HDD under professional supervision. You may also visit an authorized service center for further assistance."
    Nothing about backing up (even about personal data) your recovery partition.
    1) Why is it impossible for ASUS to offer (factory) recovery media paid or free?
    2) Why does ASUS or anyone else think its okay to let me hanging after spending 2k on a notebook just because I installed a new HD
    3) Why is there an ASUS app out there to fix all this stuff it doesnt work on older?? models (2016 seriously older)
    4) Why when coming to a support forum is there no reply from ASUS what so ever on any of the topics, and numerous they are, about this issue, but when I offer money for someone to send me an image of their recovery I get modded literally within 1 minute!!!
    5) Why do you think telling me I should have backed up over and over is helping me in any way, I have even thought you're just trolling

    And why does it take you that long to reinstall Windows, Apps, programs and updates

    Have a nice day
    I apologize if you think I'm trolling you. My intention was to inform you of your situation and how to prevent the same issues in the future. I don't believe Asus is going to create driver DVD any longer. They place a recovery partition and eSupport Folder on your hard drive/SSD as do most of all the major manufactures This is all detailed in your user manual that you have to download from Asus Support after logging in and Registering with your model and serial number
    This is a User to User forum seldom do any Asus Employees come in and comment. You can PM any of the cl-xxxxx they are Customer Loyalty Representives and are Asus employees sometimes they can be quite helpful
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  6. #16
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    16

    I dont see why they would create a DVD indeed, but still I dont subscribe to the notion that you can let your toprange clientele hanging. They themselves dont believe so either; in US you can order it 50 bucks, I would gladly pay double for such a service. But helpdesk here didnt even know there was such a service over in US. And there is the new MYASUS app, which from the looks of it is pretty great, but when I install it, and it does smoothly, I can only look at at my account details and apply for RMA....... AWESOME! BTW when I called helpdesk here they didnt know why it only showed those 2 options for me instead of all. Got the usual try to reinstall the app and update WU.... obviously had done that already, so spend prolly close to 15 hours to find out the app only supports 2019 and later models !!! Awesome again, thanks ASUS support for having my back.
    So if you, like me, would have bought a nice cool notebook 2 years ago for a months salary, your left out to dry, with the option that big johnny mentions, RMA for a hefty price tag because thats a better option that supplying media. Its gonna be a ball as well cause the machine has been disassembled by yours truly multiple times, its been repasted twice and I had to manually bend and skew the cooling element becasue appearently its not that easy for a top technician team to assemble a cooling unit proerly in place and properly pasted, took of about 8 degrees,
    In other topics you can see i bricked (semi) bricked it, so i took it apart again and shorted j1 and j2, its prolly got only 25% of the screws put back because the number of them drove me crazy so i only put the bare minimum. And i last time I forgot to put it the srew that hold the DVD, so it kept falling out so the outer lid broke of, just the plastic not the device, but I have it somewhere ...., the player because I left it out.
    Yes I like to mess around with my rig, also I dont mind if I break it or the warranty when doing so, but having to RMA a working rig for reimaging and prolly having to shell out at least 200 is ridiculous, most likely they will charge me more when they see the repaste, missing screws and so, because this will be labeled the reason for the stuff im struggling with and it isnt. I need the right DPTF settings and to solve the issues with the touchpad and USB. The stuff you can read tons about from other people with the same problems, you know what im talking about clint ive seen you respond in numerous USB3 topics and the keyboard topics. Actually changes a registry setting for USB when you flash the keyboard. Mostly IO and interupt stuff, latency driving me crazy, hangs on copy paste, DWM stutterd when attaching a second monitor. I mean come on this is an expensive rig, where is the customer care, it should last me for another year or so if working in order, do they want me to buy ASUS again or are high end range customers plenty enough to see them go again.
    One sould be able to order a recovery USB drive that restore your original software and perhaps even firmware like OOPROm and so. In the time since we started this discussion an intern could have made images of each model (and their submodels %^$^&%$), of the past 2 years (as if he would need, they just have them lying around) and have uploaded it to a special page, they could charge for it even. That this is just being read and not done is just Kafka my friend.
    Im gonne leave it at this, it would be nice if you can clearly state YES or NO whether or not you agree with me, as I havent heard your opinion about that core of the matter, there is no need to tell me again anout images, backups, esupport folders and so on, if you would that would make me feel like you're trolling me after all , or a bot .
    ASUS I'll say this, from 1 entrepeneur to anothere, for less than a dime you can put a sticker on the drive containing the partition and warn people not to delete it, tell them to PM clint for a good deal on Macrium LOL, but in all seriousness, it's not in the manual that I quoted earlier, which I downloaded from my support page btw Clint...... Because I can assure you that most people buying an expensive rig like this do not read the manual when replacing a harddrive because they know how to do it. A sticker, yellow or orange on the physical drive, will save you an incredibel amount of man hours on support department. It would also be nice to detail all the devices on a rig, but that a whole other level.

    Oh and Big Johhny, although you comment is appreciated I would liek to point out that its only called "advice" when you give it before events occur, but I do concurr(?) with clints conclussion and had gotten to the same one long before I started posting about this here.
    Have a nice weekend

  7. #17
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    105
    Posts
    4,121

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffh70 View Post
    I dont see why they would create a DVD indeed, but still I dont subscribe to the notion that you can let your toprange clientele hanging. They themselves dont believe so either; in US you can order it 50 bucks, I would gladly pay double for such a service. But helpdesk here didnt even know there was such a service over in US. And there is the new MYASUS app, which from the looks of it is pretty great, but when I install it, and it does smoothly, I can only look at at my account details and apply for RMA....... AWESOME! BTW when I called helpdesk here they didnt know why it only showed those 2 options for me instead of all. Got the usual try to reinstall the app and update WU.... obviously had done that already, so spend prolly close to 15 hours to find out the app only supports 2019 and later models !!! Awesome again, thanks ASUS support for having my back.
    So if you, like me, would have bought a nice cool notebook 2 years ago for a months salary, your left out to dry, with the option that big johnny mentions, RMA for a hefty price tag because thats a better option that supplying media. Its gonna be a ball as well cause the machine has been disassembled by yours truly multiple times, its been repasted twice and I had to manually bend and skew the cooling element becasue appearently its not that easy for a top technician team to assemble a cooling unit proerly in place and properly pasted, took of about 8 degrees,
    In other topics you can see i bricked (semi) bricked it, so i took it apart again and shorted j1 and j2, its prolly got only 25% of the screws put back because the number of them drove me crazy so i only put the bare minimum. And i last time I forgot to put it the srew that hold the DVD, so it kept falling out so the outer lid broke of, just the plastic not the device, but I have it somewhere ...., the player because I left it out.
    Yes I like to mess around with my rig, also I dont mind if I break it or the warranty when doing so, but having to RMA a working rig for reimaging and prolly having to shell out at least 200 is ridiculous, most likely they will charge me more when they see the repaste, missing screws and so, because this will be labeled the reason for the stuff im struggling with and it isnt. I need the right DPTF settings and to solve the issues with the touchpad and USB. The stuff you can read tons about from other people with the same problems, you know what im talking about clint ive seen you respond in numerous USB3 topics and the keyboard topics. Actually changes a registry setting for USB when you flash the keyboard. Mostly IO and interupt stuff, latency driving me crazy, hangs on copy paste, DWM stutterd when attaching a second monitor. I mean come on this is an expensive rig, where is the customer care, it should last me for another year or so if working in order, do they want me to buy ASUS again or are high end range customers plenty enough to see them go again.
    One sould be able to order a recovery USB drive that restore your original software and perhaps even firmware like OOPROm and so. In the time since we started this discussion an intern could have made images of each model (and their submodels %^$^&%$), of the past 2 years (as if he would need, they just have them lying around) and have uploaded it to a special page, they could charge for it even. That this is just being read and not done is just Kafka my friend.
    Im gonne leave it at this, it would be nice if you can clearly state YES or NO whether or not you agree with me, as I havent heard your opinion about that core of the matter, there is no need to tell me again anout images, backups, esupport folders and so on, if you would that would make me feel like you're trolling me after all , or a bot .
    ASUS I'll say this, from 1 entrepeneur to anothere, for less than a dime you can put a sticker on the drive containing the partition and warn people not to delete it, tell them to PM clint for a good deal on Macrium LOL, but in all seriousness, it's not in the manual that I quoted earlier, which I downloaded from my support page btw Clint...... Because I can assure you that most people buying an expensive rig like this do not read the manual when replacing a harddrive because they know how to do it. A sticker, yellow or orange on the physical drive, will save you an incredibel amount of man hours on support department. It would also be nice to detail all the devices on a rig, but that a whole other level.

    Oh and Big Johhny, although you comment is appreciated I would liek to point out that its only called "advice" when you give it before events occur, but I do concurr(?) with clints conclussion and had gotten to the same one long before I started posting about this here.
    Have a nice weekend
    I do agree with you that Asus, Dell, MSI and all the rest should give or sell us a USB thumb drive with the original Image that we could restore. I say USB Thumb Drive since most notebooks now days are coming without Optical drives seems they have become legacy items seriously I use the BD Drive in my G752 VY maybe 0nes or twice in the last 2.5 years. I use USB all day long everyday
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  8. #18
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Reputation
    55
    Posts
    500

    ASUS needs to build a password-protected website that requires ASUS device owner private login. Each ASUS owner would have access to support for only the ASUS devices he/she owns. This can be like the ASUS Download Center but with password protection. These ASUS owner support pages could have the recovery partition iso file and the ASUS Installation Wizard iso file as well as all the drivers, programs, and BIOS for any particular ASUS device.

    This level of support could even be leveraged to support warranty time-limits and added support time on a cost basis.
    G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
    Homebuilt Windows Server

  9. #19
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    22
    Posts
    105

    You are preaching to the choir brother.
    No one is arguing the point that it would be nice, just that it isnt so and all the protests in the world isnt going to change it.
    Just passing on the way it is......

  10. #20
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    105
    Posts
    4,121

    Quote Originally Posted by jdfrench3 View Post
    ASUS needs to build a password-protected website that requires ASUS device owner private login. Each ASUS owner would have access to support for only the ASUS devices he/she owns. This can be like the ASUS Download Center but with password protection. These ASUS owner support pages could have the recovery partition iso file and the ASUS Installation Wizard iso file as well as all the drivers, programs, and BIOS for any particular ASUS device.

    This level of support could even be leveraged to support warranty time-limits and added support time on a cost basis.
    I think we have most of that now, you do have to log on to your Asus Account, where all your Asus devices are displayed with most of the drivers and software available for download. This is of course based your registering each of your devices to your Asus Account? I know my Account still shows my G75VW all the motherboards I have gone through My G752VY a monitor and Wireless router. All with the latest drivers, manuals software etc?
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •