b6 bios error and solid red dimm.

Scorch_
Level 7
Specs:
Mobo - Asus - X99-A ATX LGA2011-3
Cpu - i7 5820k overclocked to 4.0 thx
Gpu - EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW
Ram - G.Skill - Ripjaws Series 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666

Liked the title says my issue is the elusive b6 bios error about a day ago my pc suddenly seized up while in the middle of a game. My cursor became sluggish (if you ever played a game with heavy mouse smoothing it felt similar to that.) and nothing I clicked on was responsive, I attempted to ctrl-alt-delete thinking it was the game causing the issue but even that refused to work only giving me a "preparing security options" screen. Something odd about the whole ordeal was a stream I had running in the background continued to play without issue, I didn't stick around to see if it fix itself though and quicky did a hard shutdown.

Upon rebooting though i was given the b6 error, a solid red dram light, and my pc refused to boot past post.

I started by looking in the manual to figure out that the b6 code meant "clean up of nvram", taking to google I found that this non descript code had either something to do with my dimm or cmos. I chose start with my ram by removing each individual piece and trying them one by one, unfortunately they all came back with the b6 error.

With the above not working I moved on to the cmos, first I attempted to use the jumpers to reset it but was still met with the b6 code. I also tried removing the battery for several minutes and even replacing but got the same results. Next I tried using my motherboards memOK feature which I had initially skipped over since it seemed aimed at compatibly issues, unfortunately it didn't do anything and the b6 error as well as the solid light persisted.

After trying this I moved on to testing different hardware, I couldn't find any x99 comparable hardware at a store close by I picked up a z390 prime board with a cpu just to make sure everything else was running, sure enough the it booted into bios just fine and I even tested my ram on it which it had no problems detecting. This pretty much ruled out every thing but the CPU and mobo, I overnighted a x99 pro board and was surprised to find it had the same b6 error and solid dram light. This of course should leave just the CPU, however what I cant understand is why all signs point to the cmos or memory being the issue. Surely if the CPU was dead I'd be getting a different error code.

I'm at the ends of my wit now, there really isn't much information about this specific error code online, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
0 REPLIES 0