cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios Update from 1302 to 3801

Karlsap
Level 9
I am still using bios version 1302 on my RVE and I am planning to update the bios to version 3801 and do a clean install of windows 10. When I purchased the board I tried once to update the bios and it went wrong ending up to reprogram the chip and since then I remained on version 1302.

Please can you advise the correct procedure to follow and how long the update process will take? Also, do both bios chips get updated during the process? Can I update from the old version to version 3801 directly or do I have to upgrade from 1 version to the next one until reaching 3801?

From my readings, I know that the USB has to be formatted in fat32/16, use asus EZ flash and before updating default setting should be loaded.

Thank you in advance for your support.
4 REPLIES 4

Axle_Grease
Level 7
I use the USB BIOS Flashback method as described on page 2-14 in the R5E user manual for official and modded BIOSes, but ASUS Update Flash 2 (page 3-57) is fine for flashing official BIOS releases only. Refer to those sections.

I've never timed a BIOS flash. ASUS Update Flash 2 has a progression indicator. It's pretty quick... about a minute I guess. USB BIOS Flashback takes longer and there is no progress indicator because the procedure is not conducted from within CMOS Setup. So there's no GUI. For USB BIOS Flashback, I wait until the indicator on my USB stick shows that the stick it is no longer being read, and then I wait a further 20 secs before restarting the PC.

Only the active BIOS gets updated during the process.

BIOS updates don't work like game patches. The current BIOS can be replaced with any BIOS version you desire provided it's meant for your motherboard. FYI, 3902 is the lastest offical BIOS version for the R5E and most likely the last.

I'm not certain but I *think* the ntfs format works, too. Must try that sometime. USB BIOS flashback, though, requires R5E.CAP on an *active* primary partition unlike the other BIOS flash methods.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

waterglass
Level 7
I updated to RVE BIOS version 3801 last week using the CMOS setup. It only took a few minutes to flash and lots of reboots (2-3 or so). After letting windows boot, and rebooting, I was able to enter the CMOS setup and reset all my settings (select XMP memory profile, enable virtualization, enable power setting, etc). This took about 15 minute to review and set.

Does anyone know why RVE BIOS versions 3801 and 3902 are not available for download on the ASUS website? The latest version for download is 3701.

waterglass wrote:
I updated to RVE BIOS version 3801 last week using the CMOS setup. It only took a few minutes to flash and lots of reboots (2-3 or so). After letting windows boot, and rebooting, I was able to enter the CMOS setup and reset all my settings (select XMP memory profile, enable virtualization, enable power setting, etc). This took about 15 minute to review and set.

Does anyone know why RVE BIOS versions 3801 and 3902 are not available for download on the ASUS website? The latest version for download is 3701.

Buggered if I know why you're not seeing them.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

pharma
Level 9
YOu should see the bios downloads. Try the link below:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/HelpDesk_BIOS/