cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear Esther, It’s Great Being A PC gamer

X-ROG
Level 15
Yes, just thought I’d share that with Esther. Who’s Esther? Well, she seems to be the love interest of the protagonist we find in new indie release Dear Esther. I say seems because there’s nothing really that clear about this game, including its very definition as a game. It’s like an interesting cross between the old Myst titles, Amnesia: Dark Descent, the coastal sections of Half-Life 2, and those dark levels from PS3 game Flower. Having said that, Dear Esther is right now a very firm PC exclusive, and looks destined to stay that way.

Come to the island where the grass literally FEELS downtrodden!

Basically nothing happens in Dear Esther, it’s all just one big walkabout in some of the most gorgeous environs you’ve ever seen on a PC. There are no real controls except for directional keys, you just walk, and can somewhat zoom the view for a slightly closer look at things. And that’s it. There are no bad guys, no cover mechanics, nothing. Just walking and listening to incredible voice overs done by Nigel Carrington. These present deliciously surreal and confounding exposition, and I loved every line.

Just another sunset at the Isle of Depressed Man

Dear Esther takes place on a very bleak island, probably somewhere off the coast of Wales or Scotland. The narrator (and there may be more than one, actually, cause sometimes the guy doesn’t quite sound like himself) comes up with very detailed but wacky stories involving apparently random characters, and these snippets may vary depending on how you trek across the landscape. Arriving at certain points triggers specific lines, and by the end of the experience you won’t really know much more about this world than you did before even installing the game. However, if this makes it sound like I’m being cynical, think again. Dear Esther is simply mesmerizing.

What will really bake your noodle is wondering who left all these candles

First of all, the storytelling and language are beyond rich, even if they don’t always make the most sense. Actually, they never really make any sense. Then you have the graphics, which are incredible. Granted this is a largely static world with almost nothing to render save for scenery, but you’d be forgiven for thinking the aged Source engine just went DX11 on you. For something that started as a low-tech demo five years ago Dear Esther sure looks amazing.

So beautiful. Now think of this scene with a HOLO sighted SCAR in the middle

It’s also proof positive that you don’t need fancy decision moments or morality trees to get a jaded gamer to shed a small tear. As Dear Esther wrapped up, I was weepy, and not because there was no XP to gain. The ending sequence is spectacular in its bizarre simplicity, with proceedings definitely helped along by the remarkable soundtrack, done by Jessica Curry.

There are clues as to the "real" meaning of the story all over the place

If you like your gaming Skyrim-long then this may be a tad disappointing. My Steam clock showed me at 86 minutes played when I finished Dear Esther, so it’s essentially like one level in a big AAA release. But it’s worth every second and every penny of the $10 admission.

I personally know people who will pay good money to have this beauty on their wall

Developers thechineseroom and ex-DICE member Robert Briscoe have done good, big time, and have been rewarded, seeing as news came in that Dear Esther moved 16,000 copies and became technically profitable within six hours of going on sale.

Best caves in a game ever
Get your copy on Steam now! Meanwhile, I shall resume my bout of emotionally-charged, tender and introspective gaming by playing The Darkness II. That is all.

And of course thanks to Steam for the awesome screenshot feature!
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
Interesting. I like how various titles are expanding what we've come to expect from "gaming".
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

chrsplmr
Level 18
... dont you just thirst for something completely unexpected though ?

... if i see that candle lighter.. im put'n him out of his misery .. next time we hate our job ... hahaha
at least we are not that guy ...

This looks very interesting and though the release hasn't gotten much attention because of things that are helped propel by production companies, they are looking to stay within the ranks of a pc game.

I am sure that there will be a few interested minds from other gaming consoles but until they are poised to have their release, I am not seeing it as a possibility.