cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG STRIX Scar cooling issue

pecyon
Level 7
I have an Asus Rog Strix Scar edition laptop (17'') from 2018 (1060 6GB, 7700HQ not overclocked, 16GB RAM ). And now that the summer came in the laptop shuts down every 20-30 minutes of gaming if games are played on max graph. i.e.:

CS:GO
Diablo III
Conan Exiles
etc.

the temp of the room is around 27-30 celsius and I don't think it should overheat and do an emergency shut down looking at the games they are not really today's games but now I don't even want to try out Far Cry or Assassin's Creed at this point.

Notable (maybe) things to mention:

I have an LG 34UC79G as a second monitor and I have an LG 29WK500 for third (I don't use it at the moment but I do want to.. really)

I also have a laptop cooler Trust GXT 278 under the rig.

Now my question is: what to do? I'm also using the rig for game developement in Unity 3D and the games and the Unity makes the whole setup instabil not to mention how it shortens the lifespan with all the emergency shut downs. So what can I do? At this point I will spend every coin to make this work. 😞
3 REPLIES 3

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Start by undervolting both CPU and GPU.

TX2000
Level 8
also check the fans to see if it have any debris blocking the airflow. Pet hairs and dust cause havoc on those little fans

undervolting seems to me a bad option. the rig might not be a 5000 threadripping gaming rig but undervolting something that should have all the necessary things in itself is like spending 5k on something that worth 500.

The airflow is clear. No dust, no animal fur. I mean there is obviously dust but its minimal. Is there any better cooling pad or did I just throw 1500$ out of the window?