cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVMe heat thermal pad.

dias_flac_og
Level 9
Hi, I have a Maximus X hero with a NVMe 970 Pro from Samsung installed. I was wondering does the included heat sink/shield thing that comes with the board actually help reduce heat levels of the NVMe drive? Or does it make it worse?

I ask because I noticed that my NVMe drive gets significantly hotter than a traditional SATA6 SSD. For example my SATA6 SSD would never go over 40c but sometimes I see my Samsung 970 pro at 55c.

So what;s the deal on that included heat sink shield thing? My guess is that it makes heat worse because there's less air flow to the bare NVMe drive itself?
1 REPLY 1

davemon50
Level 11
Your temps are in the right range. The NVME drive will always run hotter than your SATA6 drive just because it's doing so much more work per time interval.

Regarding your heat sink I suppose it depends on which YouTube video you watch and believe. Your Samsung drive actually already has a heat sink (or at least a heat dissipation layer) on it because the sticker/label they attach to it is layered and includes a copper layer for that purpose.

I don't use a heatsink on mine in my desktop (I do, however, in my laptops). The reason is because my desktop case has really good airflow. My opinion is that the label dissipation of the Samsung along with good airflow over the drive to take away the heat is adequate. If you have poor airflow over your drive then it probably won't make a difference to you whether or not you use a heatsink, your drive life will still suffer.
Davemon50