cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maximus xi hero -i5-9600k & xmp trouble

Puter
Level 7
maximus xi hero wifi ,i5-9600k . i enabled xmp in bios , & overclocked in windows with Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility V6.4.1.205, i tried defaults in ixtu, to go back to cpu defaults but with no luck , cpu stays at 43x all cores ,will not go any higher but will go lower,if i disable xmp in bios boot into windows it locks up then a lot of bsods .when i go back into bios & enable xmp,it boots fine in windows no bsods nothing , i've called intel ,talked to asus , no answers , i don't know what to do,ive done alot of research on this found out xmp raises the voltage on cpu therefore overclocking cpu, also cleared cmos many many times but i always did enable each time enable xmp , i know better now , it took all of this to find out the hard way
thank you so much , Tony

specs:rog maximus xi hero
i5-9600k- soon tobe in about a week a i9-9900k
corsair dominator CMT16GX4M2C3200C16 x2 =32 gig
windows 10 pro 1903
samsung ssd 860 evo 1 tb
evga supernova g3 750 gold
4 REPLIES 4

MeanMachine
Level 13
I think your misunderstanding a few things Tony.

Your 3200MHz RAM would default to 2400-2666MHz initially as 3200MHz is beyond the JDEC standard and therefore you will have to manually enter your SPD in Bios to get them to their rated frequency as XMP would not work. XMP (Extended memory profile) capable ram is up to 2666MHz.
You also have separate voltage control for RAM and CPU.
I also recommend only changing Bios values in Bios and not via a third party Windows app as you can corrupt your Bios this way.
I also recommend you update Bios to latest version if not already done so.

Your RAM indicates 2x sets of 16GB which can cause issues and you could have a mismatch due to Latency differences during manufacture. Initially just use one matching kit to check for stability then add the second kit. They may work together but no guarantee.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Puter
Level 7
Puter wrote:
maximus xi hero wifi ,i5-9600k . i enabled xmp in bios , & overclocked in windows with Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility V6.4.1.205, i tried defaults in ixtu, to go back to cpu defaults but with no luck , cpu stays at 43x all cores ,will not go any higher but will go lower,if i disable xmp in bios boot into windows it locks up then a lot of bsods .when i go back into bios & enable xmp,it boots fine in windows no bsods nothing , i've called intel ,talked to asus , no answers , i don't know what to do,ive done alot of research on this found out xmp raises the voltage on cpu therefore overclocking cpu, also cleared cmos many many times but i always did enable each time enable xmp , i know better now , it took all of this to find out the hard way
thank you so much , Tony

specs:rog maximus xi hero
i5-9600k- soon tobe in about a week a i9-9900k
corsair dominator CMT16GX4M2C3200C16 x2 =32 gig
windows 10 pro 1903
samsung ssd 860 evo 1 tb
evga supernova g3 750 gold

i done everything ya said , updated bioes , made shore all 4 sticks of mem are stable,in bioes save default settings , & still all cores at 43x cannot get to cpu defalts

thank you very much it worked thank you

MeanMachine
Level 13
Go into your Bios>Extreme Tweaker menu>AI overclock Tuner and set to manual. This will allow you to change your multiplier.
You can bring your Bios back to default by removing the MB CMOS battery for 10mins. That would default to 3.6GHz.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

thank you ever so much it worked