cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VM doesn't start without SATA HDD

DK999
Level 8
Greetings!
I wanted to update my GL702VM with an additional SSD besides the M.2-SSD in the M.2 slot (which keeps boot partition and system).
I recognised, that the laptop wouldn't boot at all without an HDD at the SATA Port nor with a SSD installed to it.
There is no POST, ROG or other message on the display, no starting fans, no sign of life - just a light on the Power LED.

I've updated the BIOS and checked the SSD in another PC, which works just fine. I switched the pre-installed HDD with another one and the laptop starts normally. Removing the HDD results again in no boot at all.

So to summarize my problem:

M.2-SSD + any 2.5" HDD => bootable
M.2-SSD + 2.5" SSD => not bootable
M.2-SSD alone => not bootable

Again, this has nothing to do with the boot partition, the laptop doesn't get to the state where this is checked via bios.
Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4

AFRIKA
Level 7
DK999 wrote:
Greetings!
I wanted to update my GL702VM with an additional SSD besides the M.2-SSD in the M.2 slot (which keeps boot partition and system).
I recognised, that the laptop wouldn't boot at all without an HDD at the SATA Port nor with a SSD installed to it.
There is no POST, ROG or other message on the display, no starting fans, no sign of life - just a light on the Power LED.

I've updated the BIOS and checked the SSD in another PC, which works just fine. I switched the pre-installed HDD with another one and the laptop starts normally. Removing the HDD results again in no boot at all.

So to summarize my problem:

M.2-SSD + any 2.5" HDD => bootable
M.2-SSD + 2.5" SSD => not bootable
M.2-SSD alone => not bootable

Again, this has nothing to do with the boot partition, the laptop doesn't get to the state where this is checked via bios.
Any ideas?

Revert to bios 306, bios 310 cant boot with a SSD.

Already on 306 and booting from my M.2 SSD isn't a problem. The HDD has just some working files, nothing for the OS (no bootmanager etc.)

AFRIKA
Level 7
check disabling secure boot on the bios.

Seems like some SSDs are incompatible with the BIOS, changing it to a MX500 seems to work so far.