cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9990xe - is it even possible to manage cooling and power?

Tonyboj
Level 7
No answers on my previous thread so I'll be frank. I was about to purchase this overpriced strange specimen for my business but did a mistake when ordering and purchased it personally. A part of me is thinking - this might be fun, another part is thinking - this is too expensive and too difficult to keep cool.

So, for those of you have have good experience with OCing SkylakeX HCC CPUs, I have two questions...

1. Would water be enough to cool 14 cores running up to 1.49 Volts (no typo)?

I was thinking of putting together three radiators with one or two pump/res only for CPU, and push/pull with somewhat silent fans.

My current board (Rampage VI Extreme) is likely not capable of running this since the powerdraw is basically 500-600W for the CPU. It could certainly be a ****ty driver since I'm not 100% what to change to give my current CPU enough power during overclocking. It basically restarts when I bench too power hungry stuff.

2. So, if I invest in the Rampage VI Extreme Omega, will my problems be solved or do I still need some magic settings in bios to give my current chip (while OCing) or this new CPU a stable working environment?

Immensely happy if some you with experience give any advice. There is also the option to just send it back without using it.
5 REPLIES 5

x-rated
Level 8
for 14 cores @ 5 GHz is some great chiller the only possible solution 🙂
avx2 and 3 can produce a lot of heat, there is no chance to cool this with some standard radiators

x-rated wrote:
for 14 cores @ 5 GHz is some great chiller the only possible solution 🙂
avx2 and 3 can produce a lot of heat, there is no chance to cool this with some standard radiators

Since I don’t know what a chiller is I assume it is not suitable when my home office is in the corner of our living room 😉
From stock the AVX loads were set on 3.9 and 3.7 I think. Is it still not feasible with custom water?

x-rated
Level 8
chiller is something like little fridge, radiator, just another case, which can cool the liquid to almost 0°C
for example http://www.aquariumonlinesupplies.com.au/cooling-chillers/hailea-chillers/hailea-chiller-hc-2200bh-2...
im not sure if there is some default offset for AVX load, but according to wikichip this CPU can run all cores at 5 GHz by default
if thermal and power limits are exceeded, it will lower the frequency

x-rated wrote:
chiller is something like little fridge, radiator, just another case, which can cool the liquid to almost 0°C
for example http://www.aquariumonlinesupplies.com.au/cooling-chillers/hailea-chillers/hailea-chiller-hc-2200bh-2...
im not sure if there is some default offset for AVX load, but according to wikichip this CPU can run all cores at 5 GHz by default
if thermal and power limits are exceeded, it will lower the frequency

Yeah, all cores can boost to 5.0ghz, I think 2 of them to 5.1Ghz. Avx-512 is by default 3700 mhz, and avx 3900.

What is the problem if a CPU instantly reboots the computer when starting any kind of benchmark (XTU, Cinebench etc)? Windows usage is fine.

What are the basic settings on Asus R6E to give the CPU the option to use more power? (I have tried setting phases to Extreme, something to 200%, Input Voltage to 2.1...)

Sent you a private message. I would not set voltage that high. Try and keep voltages below 1.2. I recomend 1.12 to mitigate cooling. I have never taken this chip over 1.35. 1.35 running daily is horrible for your processor. But I overkill on cooling with 3 thick 360mm rads.