cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL704GM Sudden lag spikes

Franck1997
Level 7
Hi. Since last january, I had bought an Asus GL704GM (i7-850h CPU @ 2.20GHz/GTX 1060 GB) and I never had any performance issues for quite a while. But, just today as I played Sea of Thieves, I noticed that my FPS just completely drops out of nowhere and randomly, then it goes back to normal. I then decided to go on Battlefield 1 to see if the issue was still there. For a while, nothing significant happened, then the random FPS drop returned. Is there any way to fix this?
6 REPLIES 6

TX2000
Level 8
have you checked the temps?
maybe is thermal throttling?
Antivirus running in the background?

TX2000 wrote:
have you checked the temps?
maybe is thermal throttling?
Antivirus running in the background?

I agree it sure does sound thermal. Franck, make sure you've got the basics covered like sitting the laptop on a firm surface with proper airflow and when gaming not operating in a poor ambient condition for temp and humidity, not sitting it on a sofa or carpet or bedspread or something like that. Check your environment for dustiness and the machine blow out what you can.

If all that's good, try running the games right after a fresh bootup and disabling any non-essential programs that load on start. If your fps is good when you operate like that, then startup your usual background programs one by one until you see throttling again, to isolate the issue.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
I agree it sure does sound thermal. Franck, make sure you've got the basics covered like sitting the laptop on a firm surface with proper airflow and when gaming not operating in a poor ambient condition for temp and humidity, not sitting it on a sofa or carpet or bedspread or something like that. Check your environment for dustiness and the machine blow out what you can.

If all that's good, try running the games right after a fresh bootup and disabling any non-essential programs that load on start. If your fps is good when you operate like that, then startup your usual background programs one by one until you see throttling again, to isolate the issue.

Ok, some... unexpected things happened. I too realized that the heat would be an important factor, since we are in the middle of the summer and its getting pretty hot in here. That and my computer is always on a flat surface and I believe there’s lots of dust in the fans. So I decided to shut it down for a while and I put it on my kitchen table, its colder there. Today after waking up, I went to the kitchen and somehow, water had fallen from the ceiling and it got on my laptop and my AC adapter. When I took the computer off the table, I saw that there was barely any water under it, almost completely dry. I opened the laptop and I didnt see any water getting on the keys, only a bit near the top of the keyboard because of the way the computer is designed. No water seemingly got in the fans either: I held in down to see if any water got inside, but nothing so far. I even turned it on and nothing happened at all. I’m not sur if water got inside the AC adapter so I didn’t plug it on my laptop. So now, my question is: should I just send it to asus so it can be verified and cleaned off (because of the dust)?*

davemon50
Level 11
Have you tried to open up the back to see if all is normal inside?
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Have you tried to open up the back to see if all is normal inside?

My warranty is still up, so I don’t want to open it yet. I was told by the customer service that doing so would void the warranty.

davemon50
Level 11
Well if you think it's hardware and you won't open it up, then you need to send it to Asus or an authorized factory repair location.
Davemon50