cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Speed step?

MonaroLS
Level 7
Hello all,

I have just purchased the ASUS ROG Strix mobo and i7-8700k CPU. I use it for Flight Simulator. I have it slightly overclocked @ 4800, but it is at that frequency all the time (even when idle). Is it possible to get the CPU to automatically down clock to its default idle frequency when just doing general tasks or nothing, but when I run P3D, it goes back up to the higher overclock again?

Many thanks

Chris
2 REPLIES 2

MeanMachine
Level 13
Intel speed step is used by tree huggers to save a little power when at idle. It is usually on by default. Clever tech for what it does.
As a power user I have disabled it (as well as C1E sleep state) and keep my Core frequency at MAX that I can achieve stable. I also use it for flight simulation ie: DCS (Digital Combat Simulator). If you don't have a fixed frequency and sleep state is on then the CPU will idle at default idle frequency then ramp up according to demand and cooling capability.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Go to windows power plan. Set to balanced. Then advanced settings. Select min and max power load settings. Set 0 or something small like 5% min and 100% max. This should dynamically adjust frequency based on load but still allow you to keep voltage consistant on all cores (depending setting in bios)