cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I send it back as DOA?

Retired
Not applicable
Greetings, I'm writing this from my 2nd G73.
The first one I had, was a JH, it had GSOD issues from the day one, and I had to send it back. They gave me a JW as replacement. I'm having other problems now, ie when I scroll a mozilla page, or I write something, I right click to choose an option, I switch the tabs of the browser, it happens very often that the computer freezes for 2-3 seconds, the mouse still moves, but the computer is frozen. This happens in some games too, you can guess how annoying it is. I also have audio stuttering issues in most of the games.
I would like to know if there's anything I can do to fix this, or all I have to do is to send it back and hope the next one will be ok.
Many thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

GW2
Level 7
I wish They would send me a JW as a replacement. The JH was all they had when I bought.

blackangelpr
Level 7
i recommend you to post all your specifications here for drivers etc... so any one could give you a better advice.... Good luck and happy new year 🙂
Respectfully,

BlackAngelPR
PR Battle Field Bad Company 2 Team

thereturnfc
Level 7
did u try reinstall firefox? does samething happen on ur IE/chrome?

Retired
Not applicable
Actually I noticed it does that only after I play Star Wars Galaxies, it works better after I installed other drivers/software and windows updates, but I still have sound stuttering in almost all my games (a bit in Borderlands, Timeshift, just a tiny bit in Medal of Honor), and I keep getting video stuttering in SWG very very often (anyone else is playing SWG here?)
I don't know if another installation of Windows with fresh stock audio drivers will work, anyway I'll try to install WinXp 64bit now, just to make a comparison, I hope I'll be able to find the drivers since there aren't any on the official support site.
EDIT: I tried to install winXP but it creates problems with the partitions, I tried to reconstruct the winxp partition after restoring the 7 one, but I wasn't able to, I think I'll just do another fresh install of Win7.

thereturnfc
Level 7
there should be a dvd/cd driver that come with ur laptop in the package, try re/install that sound driver, and of course, remove previous one out

Retired
Not applicable
Ok I reinstalled Windows 7 today, with all the drivers from the DVD, same problem. If you all tell me that this way a normal game, let's take Borderlands or Timeshift as reference, should go without sound issues, then I guess it is my notebook that has a problem.
Can you all confirm you don't have any sound issues with your G73JW playing these games (I also installed StarcraftII, and it had video/sound stuttering even in the starting menu)?
Thanks again.

Chastity
Level 10
Try checking with DPC Latency Tool and report back with a scan. I also made a simple Intel INF updater that does a proper update. Just run it and use default settings, and it will force a full update. Give this a shot. You can also update your SATA drivers to 10.1.0.1008. At least this way you will know your core chipset functions are updated.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
I did some tests with the latency tool, a quick one using just windows and the browser, I had many yellow bars, and the green ones were close to 1000 ms anyway. The peak was at 1491. Then I tried to run borderlands, as you can guess, I had some red bars here, with a max one of 5368. After that I started to install the INF update Chastity posted, and here I had 5 red bars and 3 yellow bars, with absolute maximum of... 16993! I don't think this counts anyway, it was probably because of the new drivers being installed. After that, I disabled the realtek device, rebooted, and tried the tests again. Nothing has changed if I must say.
What do you think? I have a problem here? (I think so, while I was writing this, I had many green bars near to 1 sec, and some yellow ones too)
EDIT: What values has a normal G73? And I don't know if it matters, but after hours of playing my notebook never went over 76C of temperature.
EDIT2: Ok I did the latency test on my 10 years old laptop, and it went better than with the G73, with an average of 180 ms, and an absolute maximum of 446, and a game running (not a game like Borderlands since this laptop is a 1 GB RAM, single core and with an integrated intel VGA). I guess you all have some results around 100 ms with your G73, so tomorrow I'll call to send the 2nd G73 back as DOA... I think at this point would probably be better to send it as RMA, so at least I'm sure they'll fix the problem, if they send me a new one, I could even have other problems too.... 😞

Chastity
Level 10
What the tool tells us in your setup is that:

1) You have an application or hardware causing high latency.
2) It's not your Realtek audio, as you originally suspected.

Since I have no idea what you are running, you will need to start disabling startups until you find the culprit.

Average G73 latencies are 150-500, depending on configuration, bouncing between those values.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]