cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI extreme: XMP issue on BIOS ver 1105

Eguun
Level 9
Dear all,

I am having issues with XMP profiles on the latest BIOS version 1105 on my ROG Maximus Extreme.
Previous version 1005 (and below) were OK.

When enabling XMP (1 or 2), my RAM OC settings are properly detected, and I can save settings OK.
But after having saved the settings, during each boot before POST, the motherboard powerdown itself and power back up. It does it ~4 times on cold boot (ie: when power is switched off and outlet disconnected for more than 10 seconds). Only after these 4 cycles do I get a proper POST with the "press F2 to enter bios settings".
It's as if the motherboard has issue POSTing properly once XMP is enabled.
When entering bios after these poweron/poweroff cycles at boot, I discover that some BIOS settings are changed from auto to fixed values (such as CPU VCCIO).
Sometimes even my XMP values are overriden (such as the frequency, for a lower setting).

I even tried to manually set in the bios the RAM parameters of the XMP profile (and disable XMP, since I had already punched-in the proper settings in the bios), but the behavior of several poweron/off cycles at boot remains.

I'm a bit puzzled on this behavior, that only occurred a few weeks ago when upgrading to the 1105 BIOS, which claims to feature "Improved DRAM compatibility" in its changelog.
As all was working very fine before the Bios software upgrade, I'm not convinced this is an hardware issue.

Is anyone else also experiencing these issues?

What would be your recommendation?

Full config details:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME / Bios version 1105 (latest at time of writing post)
Memory: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB (SKU: CMD16GX4M2E4000C19)
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 / driver version 430.86 (latest at time of writing post)
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits / version 1903 (latest at time of writing post)

Kind Regards
5 REPLIES 5

Eguun
Level 9
105 view and no replies.
I'm feeling a bit alone here.

Noone here experiencing XMP issue with bios 1105 on this motherboard?

Thanks

Enderwiggin03
Level 7
I don't know your board, but is your ram on the QVL? If not, you might need to use manual timings, especially VCCIO and VCCSA, usually auto is way too high.

MarvC
Level 7
Eguun wrote:
Dear all,

I am having issues with XMP profiles on the latest BIOS version 1105 on my ROG Maximus Extreme.
Previous version 1005 (and below) were OK.

When enabling XMP (1 or 2), my RAM OC settings are properly detected, and I can save settings OK.
But after having saved the settings, during each boot before POST, the motherboard powerdown itself and power back up. It does it ~4 times on cold boot (ie: when power is switched off and outlet disconnected for more than 10 seconds). Only after these 4 cycles do I get a proper POST with the "press F2 to enter bios settings".
It's as if the motherboard has issue POSTing properly once XMP is enabled.
When entering bios after these poweron/poweroff cycles at boot, I discover that some BIOS settings are changed from auto to fixed values (such as CPU VCCIO).
Sometimes even my XMP values are overriden (such as the frequency, for a lower setting).

I even tried to manually set in the bios the RAM parameters of the XMP profile (and disable XMP, since I had already punched-in the proper settings in the bios), but the behavior of several poweron/off cycles at boot remains.

I'm a bit puzzled on this behavior, that only occurred a few weeks ago when upgrading to the 1105 BIOS, which claims to feature "Improved DRAM compatibility" in its changelog.
As all was working very fine before the Bios software upgrade, I'm not convinced this is an hardware issue.

Is anyone else also experiencing these issues?

What would be your recommendation?

Full config details:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME / Bios version 1105 (latest at time of writing post)
Memory: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB (SKU: CMD16GX4M2E4000C19)
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 / driver version 430.86 (latest at time of writing post)
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits / version 1903 (latest at time of writing post)

Kind Regards

My ROG Maximus XI Code was running just fine until loading 1105, after updating my system lost 20-25% performasnce, instability and numerious reboots to the point I decided to roll back the BIOS.
I then found out all my one usable BIOS files were not recognized by EZ Flash, I ended up rolling back the BIOS using the motherboards BIOS slot on the back of the board. I wasted a lot of hours getting 1105 off my machine, in my opinion its a faulty BIOS! Others are having similar issues.

Take a read starting at page 23 of this thread...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105974-BIOS-ROG-Maximus-XI/page23&highlight=MarvC

Eguun
Level 9
Many thanks for your replies,

@Enderwiggin03: yes I can find my RAM SKU on the QVL. That RAM is listed under version 4.31, which is the same version I have installed. Also as presented in first post, punching numbers does not change the behavior.

@MarvC: many thanks, this is of great value. I don't feel as alone now, facing issues on upgrading towards that specific 1105 BIOS version.
Having read what you linked, I believe your path to downgrade BIOS version and skip bugged 1105 is most reasonable.

Cheers

Eguun
Level 9
@MarvC: thanks (again) for the tip.
I rolled back to 1005, all is OK.

I also raised a ticket with the support to notify about the misbehavior of XMP with that version of the BIOS.
They were aware of some users having some issue, but not that one specifically.

I provided them with the exact specs so hopefully they would be able to replicate and troubleshoot

Cheers