cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G74SX-3DE motherboard - emitter cable required?

Almighty1
Level 9
A few months ago, my ASUS G74SX-3DE motherboard died which was under part #N56MB2900-A08. Basically, the 2D with 3GB Video memory motherboard is known as the N56MB2800 while the 3D with 3GB Video memory motherboard is known as the N56MB2900. The difference is the 2D version has the 2D Display connector but not the 3D Display Connect and not the emitter cable connector while the 3D version has the 3D Display connector and also the emitter cable connector but does not have the 2D Display connector. It took me some time to find a replacement motherboard as I had a revision A08 while the replacement I bought is a N56MB2900-B07 which means it should be a newer revision. The problem is while it has the 3D display connector, it is missing the emitter connector. Is it possible that ASUS no longer needs the emitter cable for the 3D version in later revisions of the motherboard? I am attaching a photo of things to make it easier to understand. Thanks for any help in advance!

6 REPLIES 6

jdfrench3
Level 12
Being an owner of a ASUS G75VW-3D model, you need both connections for 3D operation. The 3D version motherboard will have both connections and the 2D version will have only one. In fact the main video connector is even different between the two models.

Usable 3D version motherboards are getting very rare, lots of bad motherboards but a usable 3D board is almost unheard of anymore.

Save your money and invest in a newer laptop.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Being an owner of a ASUS G75VW-3D model, you need both connections for 3D operation. The 3D version motherboard will have both connections and the 2D version will have only one. In fact the main video connector is even different between the two models.

Usable 3D version motherboards are getting very rare, lots of bad motherboards but a usable 3D board is almost unheard of anymore.

Save your money and invest in a newer laptop.

Except you need to read my post more carefully. I already bought a new motherboard which is the N56MB2900-B07, revision B07 of the 3D version of the motherboard and as I stated, it has the 3D display connector, not the 2D display connector and it's missing the emitter connector so based on the part number and having the 3D connector, it is a 3D version motherboard missing the emitter connector since if it was the 2D version, then it would have the 2D display connector and not the 3D connector at all which is why it's strange as all boards that had been sold are usually a A revision and not a B revision from what I have seen. This B07 revision seems to have the 3D connector but just doesn't have the emitter connector. So in this case, the main video connector is correct for 3D as otherwise the display would not even connect to it since it is 50 pins which was the reason for the photos as the 3D has the main video connector above the 2D video connector. So basically, I have a 3D motherboard with a 3D Main Display Connector (not 2D) except it does not have the emitter connector which was why I posted originally since the green sticker has the 3D motherboard part number.

It's not the investing in a newer laptop issue as I need to get the system working first to open the browser to figure out the URLs for certain websites in Microsoft Edge on the system that died. Not to mention, I prefer to have the Blu-ray burner internally especially when traveling.

I stand by what I stated earlier, the 3D version motherboard will have larger video connector and emitter connector. I suspect you have a motherboard with a upgraded video connector but no emitter is for an upgraded display but not 3D.
Homebuilt Windows Server

this forum is a pure joke: does Asus ever come once in a year?

You are responsible of your website ASUS

jdfrench3 wrote:
I stand by what I stated earlier, the 3D version motherboard will have larger video connector and emitter connector. I suspect you have a motherboard with a upgraded video connector but no emitter is for an upgraded display but not 3D.

That would make sense if it was a N56MB2800 but remember the actual green sticker itself came from the factory which has the 3D version of the motherboard's part number being N56MB2900, and the other thing is it would look different if the 2D connector was removed when you look at the actual soldering spot at J4501, all the pins and the other solder would not look that clean and since it's a B revision, it could be a newer revision and they have somehow decided that the emitter cable wasn't required or they had so many problems with the 3D, that they disabled the 3D emitter while still using a 3D display since remember the non-3D display uses a totally different connector. I have only connected the keyboard and the memory without totally assembling everything and I can see the POST screen so atleast I know it works, is there a good way to test the 3D part because I don't have any 3D software and I remembered even when the machine was new out of the box in 2012, I never really was able to see anything in 3D to verify it was working or not.

I have two G75VW-DS73-3D, both purchased in 2012, alas mine died a couple years ago but my daughter's is still fully functional. We both used the 3D glasses to watch 3D bluray movies.

My G75VW needed a motherboard replacement. I went through several online purchases. Every time a replacement came to the door, I hoped it would be the right one. Every time the board was a non-3D board. Sellers would remove labels and present their boards as the 3D model (even manufacturer green stickers). I wasted about six months trying to find a good motherboard. It never happened. I finally gave up and tried to have my original motherboard repaired. That didn't work either. I finally gave up and bought a replacement ASUS laptop.

I saw a number of motherboards, no replacement boards had that damned emitter connection that my 3D board had, they were all 2D models. That emitter connection supplies a signal to the 3D Vision IR port next to the camera at the top of the display and is required for use with the 3D glasses. I had a couple boards that had the larger display connector but not the emitter connection but most had the smaller display connector. Guess what, they all had the correct motherboard part number on ASUS manufacturer stickers. With the 3D part number, sellers could charge premium prices, and I paid them. I returned every board and got my money back, except shipping costs. I think I dumped $250 in shipping cost but I never tracked down a working 3D motherboard. This all happened in late 2016.

Now I'm not saying you won't find a good 3D motherboard. Don't get hung-up on the stickers, like I've stated, all my replacement motherboards had the correct part number sticker but they were all different boards. Money talks. I had pictures of all my replacement motherboards (to communicate with the sellers) but I just checked my cell phone and icloud account, they are all gone.

I don't remember any 3D software requirements. The 3D function was hardware. If you have a post screen, your system should work but the 3D will not function.

Personally, though, I would start over with another laptop. I feel for you, my heart was flattened when I went through what you are trying to do.

Good Luck
Homebuilt Windows Server