cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VM-GC009T - Cat bricked my ROG. Black screen, no logo. Flashed itself?

Plankt0nnify
Level 7
To keep it short,
Woke up, cat on keyboard. Saw that the screen had some weird white page with some progress bar going on, something about "flashing" (I think).
I panicked and killed the ROG by holding the power button. I done goofed now I guess.

What happens now is that if I turn the laptop on the screen is black, fans are turning on just like normal. However no feedback on the screen what-so-ever. no logo, nothing happens spamming F1-F12 nor holding ESC. If I hold down the power button, the PC dies after 10 secs or so, but instantly turns itself on again. Only way to kill "permanently" is to unplug the power source and wait for the battery to die. I've googled like mad and nothing have worked so far in turn of plugging cable out, wait, hold power for 60 secs etc. the LED keys at the front displaying HW status like disk etc, does n't turn on, then again I can't recall if they worked before. so..

The video below "shows" the symtpom. Please, sorry in advance for the dirtness of the laptop.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CpGzYcX5BN7wrOWZmSNt-OthFj0tC9ta/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: I've tried with external monitor, no dice. Pretty sure this is software.
8 REPLIES 8

jdfrench3
Level 12
Disassemble the laptop, remove CMOS battery for a couple minutes, reinstall CMOS battery, assemble the laptop and boot.

If that didn't help then it's time to shoot the cat! Get a RMA from ASUS and return to ASUS for repair. This might be expensive and better off buying another laptop and salvaging what you can from what the cat left you.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

I'll try the CMOS thing. However RMA is not an option. And there has to be something that could be done?

Plankt0nnify wrote:
I'll try the CMOS thing. However RMA is not an option. And there has to be something that could be done?

Replace the BIOS chip? Perhaps get old one reflashed? Replace motherboard?
Homebuilt Windows Server

Anyone else have any suggestions? There has to be some way since it's software related? 😞

Correct me if I'm wrong. You described a "flashing procedure" being interrupted. That's a firmware issue not a software issue.
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong. You described a "flashing procedure" being interrupted. That's a firmware issue not a software issue.

Software as in non-hardware. But yes firmware.

I've been googling further without some real success, however I was wondering. If I could "re-flash" or "reload" my bios by building an USB bootable device? I can't see anything on the screen but seen someone saying you can hold Ctrl+Home and turn the laptop on and it will try to boot by USB?

Anyone have any tips on what I can do next?

EDIT: I found this; https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?111479-ROG-GL502VS-DS71-automatic-EZ-flash-bricked-laptop-...

Could it be something worth investigating? I didn't really have any video proof that it was indeed the cat messing about on the keyboard (he've done it before tho).

I hope this was worth it, it's stupid how hard they've made it to change/replace or 'unplug' the bios battery.

Is this it? ( i unplugged it )
https://i.postimg.cc/qgkJ59f3/1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/4nZyTYcn/2.jpg

Gps3dx
Level 12
if you can power the computer and not hearing any beep sound and fans and leds are as usual, then it sounds to me that your cat caused the LCD ribbon cable to disconnect from the motherboard, and you only need to reconnect it.
look in YT for teardown guides to see how to open up the laptop and reconnect that ribbon cable.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]