cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X370 strix and ryzen 3

jimbo4822
Level 7
I was wondering if anyone is planning to try the 3900 on this board, or would it just be a bad idea. I am currently running a 1700 overclocked to 3800mgz with a Kraken cooler. I really don't want to get a new motherboard now, I would rather upgrade in steps and use the board and memory i currently have as long as i can.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
According to AMD this generation should work with x370 after a BIOS update. So you would need to check to make sure the latest BIOS supports 3rd gen. If not then you need to wait.

I've also heard that newer boards might improve memory overclocking with better traces, etc. So if you are having memory issues you might end up needing to upgrade the board as well. No harm starting with the CPU though and worrying about the board later.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks, I have installed the latest bios, 5801, however there is nothing stating specifically what latest cpu;s are included for support. I am not having any memory issues running flare x at 3200 currently. I have read that there will be virtually no performance differences with the x470 and x 570 boards, but no information on x370 board. I would like to think I would get a boost but not sure if I will be loosing too much of what the new processor has to offer. I will give it some time I am sure someone will eventually experiment with it.

xeromist
Firmware updates almost never list specific product compatibility updates. They're usually along the lines of "compatibility for latest generation of CPUs" or something equally vague. If you're lucky it will say 3000 series but wouldn't list specific models. You could also check the compatibility list but I'm not sure if those always get updated when a firmware update goes out.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…